Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 06:34 AM
Dominae

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Dog are more likely to turn aggressive towards anything that don't look or smell familiar to them. Dogs recognize by smell, form, and movement.

Smell is a huge deal to dogs. Keep smells as little as possible. Avoid fabric softener, perfume, cologne, strong smelling soap / shampoo. Shower after every workout or any activity that makes you sweat. Avoid eating red meat / exotic foods before a ride. Keep your BMI under 23.

You'll find dogs are less likely to chase women due to less body odor and less meat on diet. Someone on a bike is less likely to be seen as prey by dog. More often than not, if chased, they see you as a threat

Appearance will also matter. In this aspect, simply try to blend in. If all the cyclists in your area are riding on cruiser bikes and not wearing helmets you'll greatly improve your chance of avoiding catching dog's attention if you also ride on cruise bikes and not wear helmet.. I'm only saying it as an example, not to discourage anyone from wearing a helmet. I wear helmet in all my outdoor rides too even in short 5 minute rides.

Finally, movement. Avoid any rough, sudden movements. Make smooth delivery of power on the pedal. Avoid abrupt pedaling, avoid aggressive motions on the bike. Avoid unusual postures. Riding like a clown will absolutely get a dog's attention from miles away.

I had my wife read your post. She is a veterinarian. She said that was one of the dumbest things she’s ever read.

Last edited by Dominae; 04-10-22 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-10-22, 06:50 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I have been fortunate, I have rarely had dogs chase me. But one memorable one, years ago was a great big dog, some kinda huge mix breed had gotten out of his fence and seen me coming way off on a country 2 lane. No way I could out run him cause I am slow on a good day. So I figured as he got closer I would stop and put my bicycle between me and the dog, why wreck the bike and get dog bit? Anyway when I stopped the dogs demeanor changed from killer predator wanting to eat me to a big tail wagging, slobbering, licking machine. Got lucky that time.
Old 04-10-22, 07:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Halt works well if you can actually hit the dog. In my experience it has a stream that wouldn't impress a 70 year old. I've also experimented with bear spray leftover from a trip to Glacier. It worked OK but it's a fog so you can't hit the dogs square in the snout or eyes, where they need it. Just sort of confuses them enough for you to get away. IIRC, bear spray is a little stronger than Halt and both are stronger than pepper spray for humans. None of it will permanently damage a dog. There are other solutions for repeat offenders, don't let yourself be bullied by a dog.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-10-22, 07:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Halt works well if you can actually hit the dog. In my experience it has a stream that wouldn't impress a 70 year old. I've also experimented with bear spray leftover from a trip to Glacier. It worked OK but it's a fog so you can't hit the dogs square in the snout or eyes, where they need it. Just sort of confuses them enough for you to get away. IIRC, bear spray is a little stronger than Halt and both are stronger than pepper spray for humans. None of it will permanently damage a dog. There are other solutions for repeat offenders, don't let yourself be bullied by a dog.
I had a repeat offender. My main concern was that the dog would get hit by a car, as it would run out onto the road after me. I called the County Sherriff's office, and they sent out a Deputy to talk to the homeowner.

I never saw the dog again.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-10-22, 07:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The owner should pay all incurred expenses. She is lucky she and the dog were not reported to the authorities.
My ex was taken down by a dog a few years ago. Suffered a brain bleed and fractured collarbone. She spent weeks in rehab. The owner’s insurance company paid dearly. And local authorities filed criminal charges.

Crazy thing was that when her lawyer’s investigator went to take photos of the scene he saw the dog again unrestrained in the front of the house. Some people are dense.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-10-22, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
I had my wife read your post. She is a veterinarian. She said that was one of the dumbest things she’s ever read.
You and your wife are being too kind.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-10-22, 07:55 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse, and glad you have it on camera just in case.

As far as the suggestion that you should have asked for her information...I did that once and the dog-owner quickly left the scene.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 04-10-22, 08:04 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
I used to have a dog. Well behaved around people outdoors, including people on bikes. Only makes exception on people who ate exotic foods or took alcohol. They did smelled strong even I would find them of suspicious character. If I am a cop, I would have tried to stop them too for questioning.
The only dog that is well-behaved around people outdoors is one that is on a leash. If it's loose then it's a stray dog and if it gets close, it gets sprayed. I do not wait to see if the dog is "friendly" or not - I just repel it and go on my way. Incidents with dogs happen in a split second and there's no reason to take chances. Better safe than sorry.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-10-22, 08:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Glad it wasn't worse, and glad you have it on camera just in case.

As far as the suggestion that you should have asked for her information...I did that once and the dog-owner quickly left the scene.
That's when you immediately get on your cellphone and call police. Hopefully, while the owner can hear you doing so.
Old 04-10-22, 05:47 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
However, it's unlikely you'll be invited back on that group ride.
Bear spray is overkill, and is very strong - strong enough to cause permanent damage to a dog. Better to use a dog repellent (I use HALT spray) which will deter a chasing dog long enough for you to exit stage right.
I didn't know that the context was that of a group ride, but my default position (at the rear of the peloton) is to defend myself from aggressive dogs. I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the dog's long term health, and if the owner objects to having his dog blasted with pepper spray, he should keep said dog in the yard. I'm on the pavement, and if a dog runs along the grassy shoulder, I won't spray it, but it's open season if it comes onto the paved road where I am. I'm not about to try to race with a dog or psychoanalyze why a dog is chasing me. Instead, I'll give it a face full of bear spray and leave it to the dog to figure out what to do next.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-10-22, 08:10 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The only dog that is well-behaved around people outdoors is one that is on a leash. If it's loose then it's a stray dog and if it gets close, it gets sprayed. I do not wait to see if the dog is "friendly" or not - I just repel it and go on my way. Incidents with dogs happen in a split second and there's no reason to take chances. Better safe than sorry.
Once I was walking on a MUP then saw a dog with its owner. The dog was not on a leash. I was 50 meters away and it started running towards me.

I was like and then the dog jumped for my face and started licking my hands and doing that tail wag. Not on a leash but seems behaved enough.
Likes For qwaalodge:
Old 04-10-22, 08:33 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Once I was walking on a MUP then saw a dog with its owner. The dog was not on a leash. I was 50 meters away and it started running towards me.

I was like and then the dog jumped for my face and started licking my hands and doing that tail wag. Not on a leash but seems behaved enough.
Correct. It could have easily gone the other way when it jumped for your face, and you wouldn't have had a chance. If it could lick you then it could bite you, and it happens in a split second.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 04-11-22 at 03:50 AM.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-10-22, 08:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts

You must have low BMI and not eat consume meat, spicy foods, and alcohol. Otherwise, that dog would've ripped your face off and then eaten your liver.
Old 04-10-22, 10:08 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Koyote
You must have low BMI and not eat consume meat, spicy foods, and alcohol. Otherwise, that dog would've ripped your face off and then eaten your liver.
More BMI makes you smell more. Keep smells to a minimum when around potentially aggressive dogs.

It's only okay to smell strong if the dog is familiar with your smell like living in the same neighborhood. Else, it's always better to err on the side of keeping smells to a minimum.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-10-22 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-11-22, 01:04 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
https://youtu.be/fEuGRIyj1Ac

right thru my cycling pants & wrecked the zipper. gonna cost $20 to replace the zipper & the owner needs to brush up on her leashing skills
Missbehavin' Cutie.
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 04-11-22, 03:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I had a repeat offender. My main concern was that the dog would get hit by a car, as it would run out onto the road after me. I called the County Sherriff's office, and they sent out a Deputy to talk to the homeowner.I never saw the dog again.
that's a good outcome. I don't want to press charges but that family needs a talking to
Old 04-11-22, 05:44 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I'm not the slightest bit concerned about the dog's long term health, and if the owner objects to having his dog blasted with pepper spray, he should keep said dog in the yard. I'm on the pavement, and if a dog runs along the grassy shoulder, I won't spray it, but it's open season if it comes onto the paved road where I am. I'm not about to try to race with a dog or psychoanalyze why a dog is chasing me. Instead, I'll give it a face full of bear spray and leave it to the dog to figure out what to do next.
A milder spray is just as effective in preventing an attack. If you do use bear spray and cause injury to the dog, I would suggest you vary your ride route in the future to avoid that area. You may just find yourself dealing with an angry, aggressive owner who doesn't have the slightest concern for your long term health.
Old 04-11-22, 05:56 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
right thru my cycling pants & wrecked the zipper. gonna cost $20 to replace the zipper & the owner needs to brush up on her leashing skills

Jan230 has the solution to your problems.

Originally Posted by jan230
Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 04-11-22, 06:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

git a nice bruise around the strike zone. at first I thought it was from the bite, I noticed it later that day/night/afternoon. but then I thought it was from a knee strain/injury? but now I see it curls around under the bite area, so I'm guessing it's from the bite. I would call this a bruise not an infection. or am I wrong?
Old 04-11-22, 07:21 AM
Bald Paul

git a nice bruise around the strike zone. at first I thought it was from the bite, I noticed it later that day/night/afternoon. but then I thought it was from a knee strain/injury? but now I see it curls around under the bite area, so I'm guessing it's from the bite. I would call this a bruise not an infection. or am I wrong?
When in doubt, have it checked out. Preferably by a real doctor, not an internet physician.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-11-22, 08:04 AM
rumrunn6

maybe I was too scary looking?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-11-22, 08:05 AM
rumrunn6

When in doubt, have it checked out. Preferably by a real doctor, not an internet physician.
I was so impressed with the urgent care line at my medical practice. they didn't want to see me but insisted I get a tetanus shot. when I went in an hour later for the shot, the person who gave it to me didn't even glance at it even tho I was wearing shorts. all he said was "why are you here" I said "dog bite & for a tetanus shot"

if it was me & even if I didn't have any medical responsibility I would say: "oh really? let's see!"

I asked if I needed to pay a co-pay & was told: "not for a nurse visit"
Old 04-11-22, 09:36 AM
qwaalodge
Banned.

maybe I was too scary looking?

Yes, too much contrast and you look like a giant bee. A good looking giant bee! But dogs don't care about good looks and could mistake you for a wasp from a distance (they have poor eyesight compared to humans).

Try wearing light colored shirt, pants, and gloves next time and also wear clear, not shaded eyewear. That high vis vest and helmet would still be quite visible even if you wear light colored shirt and pants.

Last edited by qwaalodge; 04-11-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-22, 09:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
The dog should be quarantined and checked after, regardless of tags. There is a window of time that allows the human victim to be treated. If someone waits for symptoms of rabies, it's too late. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20351826
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-11-22, 09:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
A milder spray is just as effective in preventing an attack. If you do use bear spray and cause injury to the dog, I would suggest you vary your ride route in the future to avoid that area. You may just find yourself dealing with an angry, aggressive owner who doesn't have the slightest concern for your long term health.
The owner has already shown no concern for larger society nor the dog. You don't forgo personal safety, and possibly your life, because you're afraid of offending the person in the wrong to begin with. People have this mental image of these events with some small furry 35 pound dog that just gets in a few bite marks. People have died from dog attacks.

This is 100% stereotypical victim blaming plain and simple and doesn't have a place in civilized society. That person doesn't get to do whatever they want because you'd rather get mauled to not upset the owner. What then? Avoid the area and do nothing and get mauled just so the next unsuspecting bike rider or God forbid a child gets mauled? No.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.