Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

A couple time warp videos of NE Ohio rail trails.

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:28 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts

Hi. I thought I'd share a couple time warps of rail trails in NE Ohio in case anyone's planning on seeing what's in the area.

First is a 15X time warp on 16 miles / 25KM of the Western Reserve Greenway in Ashtabula County. It's absurdly straight. I did a 50K round trip yesterday, buy the battery died on the return trip.

Second is a 30x time warp of the central and most of the southern portions of the Maple Highlands Trail in Geauga County. There are a couple Amish buggies after 3:00.

Likes For Sertsa:
Old 07-07-23, 08:28 PM
okrep23

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for posting. Very cool! Back in 2021 I rode from Xenia to Cincinnati, spent 2 nights in Cincy, and returned. Was able to park at the Xenia Depot area (with advance notice to the local PD). It was a wonderful trip and these trails are something Ohio does right!
If you're ever further down into the middle of the state you could also get some pretty nice footage in the Glenmont-Danville stretch of the Mohican Valley Trail, including the "Bridge of Dreams."
Likes For okrep23:
Old 07-13-23, 05:26 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
You ain't lyin' about WRGT. I ride it usually only once a year; between it being farther than MHT and it being completely, totally, 100% a straight line it's just not worth it to me.

MHT is my go-to if I'm hitting a trail...despite the Lake Metroparks Greenway being right in my backyard.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 07-13-23, 06:50 AM
Sertsa

Originally Posted by okrep23
Thanks for posting. Very cool! Back in 2021 I rode from Xenia to Cincinnati, spent 2 nights in Cincy, and returned. Was able to park at the Xenia Depot area (with advance notice to the local PD). It was a wonderful trip and these trails are something Ohio does right!
If you're ever further down into the middle of the state you could also get some pretty nice footage in the Glenmont-Danville stretch of the Mohican Valley Trail, including the "Bridge of Dreams."
Thanks. I haven't been in southern nor even central Ohio in a while and would like to ride trails there, especially the Little Miami.

Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
You ain't lyin' about WRGT. I ride it usually only once a year; between it being farther than MHT and it being completely, totally, 100% a straight line it's just not worth it to me.

MHT is my go-to if I'm hitting a trail...despite the Lake Metroparks Greenway being right in my backyard.
Yes. I'm usually on MHT but like to mix it up once in a while, usually going to the Western Reserve or, my favorite, the CVNP Towpath, but I haven't been there yet this summer. If you haven't been on the WR Greenway for a while, there's no longer a road detour through Rock Creek. Last year there was also a detour in Trumbull County, but I haven't been that far south this year.

I'll also go on the Lake Metroparks Greenway on occasion, but between the noise of I-90 and occasionally being surprised by a police car driving it, the MHT is more serene (except for the section alongside 44 on the northern portion).

I've been mixing in the gravel road / path through Headwaters Park with the MHT more often lately. There's a good chance of encountering equestrians and unleashed dogs, but I feel like I'm using at least a tiny bit of my mountain bike's capabilities.
Old 07-13-23, 07:08 PM
Sertsa

Just to share if anyone's looking, I was in Headwaters Park for a run and bike ride today (before discovering I had a flat), but I took this photo of the reservoir.

Old 07-15-23, 05:22 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Sertsa
If you haven't been on the WR Greenway for a while, there's no longer a road detour through Rock Creek.

I've been mixing in the gravel road / path through Headwaters Park with the MHT more often lately. There's a good chance of encountering equestrians and unleashed dogs, but I feel like I'm using at least a tiny bit of my mountain bike's capabilities.
Yep, I did the WR earlier this year to satsify my once-per rule. They did a nice job on that connector. I think I may start in Rock Creek next year and go south from there, as I've never been farther south than Orwell and I'd like to maybe change that.

I did the gravel section @ Headwaters last year and really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll give 'er a whirl again next time I'm out. My normal loop involves Lake Shore in Mentor, the Lagoons, Grand River...mostly road but a very nice ride along Lake Erie.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 07-18-23, 09:59 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
NE OH bike friends - if you are near western PA and / or looking for some different rides - check out the following :

Allegheny River Trail

Sandy Lake Trail

Oil Creek State Park Trail

Oliver Trail / Lake Wilhelm (Goddard State Park)

Moraine State Park

the Oliver Trail is a blast to ride ... it’s a MUP that surrounds Lake Wilhelm with many ups and downs / rollers / turns ... just 12 miles - but can run it again in the opposite direction to get around 24 miles ... it’s like a different trail when run in the opposite direction ... could also add the nearby short (10 mile) Ernst Trail in Meadville that is just 15 minutes from the Oliver trail ... Moraine State Park trail is also fairly close

I believe the Ernst and Oliver trails are approx 1 hr 45 min from Cleveland (?)

have a kid in Cincy and a number of relatives in Columbus - so have a few OH rides on our future ride list including the Kokosing Gap Trail

Last edited by t2p; 07-18-23 at 10:32 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-19-23, 10:10 AM
Sertsa

Yep, I did the WR earlier this year to satsify my once-per rule. They did a nice job on that connector. I think I may start in Rock Creek next year and go south from there, as I've never been farther south than Orwell and I'd like to maybe change that.

I did the gravel section @ Headwaters last year and really enjoyed it. Maybe I'll give 'er a whirl again next time I'm out. My normal loop involves Lake Shore in Mentor, the Lagoons, Grand River...mostly road but a very nice ride along Lake Erie.
I've gone south of Orwell to Champion Heights, around Route 5. A couple people said going further south into Warren has some risks.

I like the Headwaters gravel section. A couple miles each way and some rolling terrain. Watch for loose gravel at the bottom of hills, though. I haven't gone down but had a couple scares.

I'll have to find more spots by the lake. Last year I went to Headlands as I hadn't been there in a while. After walking around the beach a bit, I saw how large and empty the lots were, had my bike in the car, so I did a few loops weaving through the lots.

Originally Posted by t2p
NE OH bike friends - if you are near western PA and / or looking for some different rides - check out the following :

Allegheny River Trail

Sandy Lake Trail

Oil Creek State Park Trail

Oliver Trail / Lake Wilhelm (Goddard State Park)

Moraine State Park

the Oliver Trail is a blast to ride ... it’s a MUP that surrounds Lake Wilhelm with many ups and downs / rollers / turns ... just 12 miles - but can run it again in the opposite direction to get around 24 miles ... it’s like a different trail when run in the opposite direction ... could also add the nearby short (10 mile) Ernst Trail in Meadville that is just 15 minutes from the Oliver trail ... Moraine State Park trail is also fairly close

I believe the Ernst and Oliver trails are approx 1 hr 45 min from Cleveland (?)

have a kid in Cincy and a number of relatives in Columbus - so have a few OH rides on our future ride list including the Kokosing Gap Trail
Very cool, thanks! I've been thinking of biking around Presque Isle in Erie and finding some Pa and Western NY trails.
Old 07-21-23, 05:22 AM
a_d_a_m

I'll have to find more spots by the lake. Last year I went to Headlands as I hadn't been there in a while. After walking around the beach a bit, I saw how large and empty the lots were, had my bike in the car, so I did a few loops weaving through the lots.
There is a lot of bike lane up in NE Mentor, between Headlands and MOtL, and north of the Civic Center. Between that, and the gravel trail that connects the Lagoons to the Headlands neighborhood, it's an easy one for me since I can leave from the front door. PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 07-24-23, 08:09 AM
Sertsa

There is a lot of bike lane up in NE Mentor, between Headlands and MOtL, and north of the Civic Center. Between that, and the gravel trail that connects the Lagoons to the Headlands neighborhood, it's an easy one for me since I can leave from the front door. PM me if you have any specific questions about the area.
Very cool, thanks. I hope to check out the area when I finally get my bike back.
Old 07-29-23, 08:03 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Very cool, thanks! I've been thinking of biking around Presque Isle in Erie and finding some Pa and Western NY trails.

not familiar with the Presque Isle / Erie trail - but might be in that area later this summer and check it out

attached a map which shows

Oil Creek trail
Justus trail
Allegheny River trail
Sandy Creek trail

Moraine State Park trail and Oliver trail (Goddard State Park / Lake Wilhelm) and Ernst trail are also relatively close

also lot of good road riding in the area including Plain Grove area (just below Grove City) where the recent 2023 National Senior Games bicycle races were held
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-31-23, 01:09 PM
Sertsa

Awesome, thanks!
Old 08-15-23, 01:32 AM
t2p

rode the Little Beaver Creek trail / greenway this past weekend - Lisbon OH through Leetonia to Washingtonville OH - outstanding ride !

posted some pics in the 50 Plus (50+) forum
Old 09-10-23, 09:16 PM
t2p

rode a section of the OTET / towpath in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) near Peninsula

posted some pics 50 Plus (50+) forum and the Hybrid forum

Last edited by t2p; 09-10-23 at 09:23 PM.