Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slow ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-23, 11:01 PM
Leftclique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had time to respond until now, but I really appreciate the advice and comments. Also, I'm sorry my question annoyed some people and caused trouble for the forum monitors.

Here's a little more about my situation. My budget is $400 - $600 and will take time to save up, so I've got time to think things through. I walk about a mile and a half a day over some of the same places I plan on biking. It does get rough - 30 degree slopes, ditches, gravel, all sorts of debris - but they're short sections and I'd go very slow or get off and walk. I was a carpenter and have tools and an air compressor, so don't think it'll be much trouble to learn to maintain a bike.

So far, it seems like a 3-speed city bike with an internal-gear hub and a step-through frame might be a good choice, but whatever I get, I'll certainly wear a helmet. In the meantime, I'll sure look for a used bike. There was a nice old mountain bike at an estate sale the other day for forty dollars, but somebody grabbed it before I could.
Old 11-25-23, 08:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Leftclique
I haven't had time to respond until now, but I really appreciate the advice and comments. Also, I'm sorry my question annoyed some people and caused trouble for the forum monitors..
Your question didn't annoy anyone, there are certain people who like to be annoying regardless. Don't let that bother you.

I still think an older mountain bike would be fine for what you are describing. They have the gearing for hills, they're durable and stable, and can be found well within your budget. Try to find one that fits your body Probably don't want suspension.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-25-23, 09:35 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
For general reference about utilitarian bikes, I would suggest searching up German/American army bikes from WWII. Not that you would want one, or could get one, but to study the design choices. Smart people 80 years ago designed simple, functional, reliable bikes to meet challenging terrain - even if by getting off and walking at times. Walking a bike is never a sin.
Old 11-25-23, 12:36 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
For general reference about utilitarian bikes, I would suggest searching up German/American army bikes from WWII. Not that you would want one, or could get one, but to study the design choices. Smart people 80 years ago designed simple, functional, reliable bikes to meet challenging terrain - even if by getting off and walking at times. Walking a bike is never a sin.
a three-speed City bike will not give you the gearing that you need for the terrain you describe. A used mountain bike for $150 is going to be a much better deal. Or go to a good bike shop and get one of their used ones that has been tested and not worn out. Cost you about 300. You don't need suspension. Keep it simple and easy but you need the gearing. Have fun mostly.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 11-25-23, 03:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
I agree that you would be better off with low and wide mountain bike gearing. 3-speed hubs are not versatile enough for mixed terrain.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-25-23, 05:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree that you would be better off with low and wide mountain bike gearing. 3-speed hubs are not versatile enough for mixed terrain.
Bikes with 3-speed hubs were commonplace in European cities where commuting significant distances on roads that include significant slopes is rare. And now, of course, those bikes, and the derailleur-equipped commuter bikes that mostly superseded them, are gradually being replaced by electric bikes (and scooters).

For the OP's described use, another vote for a used mountain bike.
Old 11-25-23, 08:41 PM
Leftclique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Thanks, that was interesting!
Old 11-25-23, 10:24 PM
Leftclique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to say why I want to bike through some rough spots. It's because they're shortcuts to safer places to ride and I could avoid the fast, heavy traffic near our house. I was thinking about a cruiser because the advertisements say they're comfortable, but since so many of you recommend a mountain bike, I'll bet it would be a better choice for me. How comfortable are mountain bikes? Could I adjust it so I could sit up straight? Is it expensive to change the seat or handlebars for a better fit?
Old 11-26-23, 12:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by Leftclique
I forgot to say why I want to bike through some rough spots. It's because they're shortcuts to safer places to ride and I could avoid the fast, heavy traffic near our house. I was thinking about a cruiser because the advertisements say they're comfortable, but since so many of you recommend a mountain bike, I'll bet it would be a better choice for me. How comfortable are mountain bikes? Could I adjust it so I could sit up straight? Is it expensive to change the seat or handlebars for a better fit?
If you get the right size you shouldn't have to make radical changes. Bars, stems, seatposts and saddles are widely available. Mountain bikes tend to have a more upright seating position than road bikes. It can be a challenge to find a saddle you like, regardless of the type of bike.

The mountain bike I have now is about the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It has lots of suspension and big low pressure tires and there isn't much that can jolt me while riding it.
Old 11-28-23, 02:47 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Cycling is an investment in your health. Going slow and avoiding any/all potholes and enjoying the wildlife sounds like a perfect ride- stay safe.