Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Water Bottle Cage Suggestions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Water Bottle Cage Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 08:07 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Another vote for the Bontrager Elite Recycled water bottle cage. Besides working well it was the only one I could find that matched the bike

seeming your bike makes me wish I would have gotten a steel bike. I had a 1993 Ritchey Logic and sold it when I thought I was done with riding..that looks so good.
Old 12-19-23, 08:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
+1 these have been fine for me too. I can’t remember if mine are the plus version or standard, but they are secure and easy to use.
Old 12-19-23, 08:35 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
I can see how the lower model could be loaded from the side, maybe not the upper.

There are times I fail to find the cage w/o looking when replacing the bottle--lacking Stevie Wonder skills on the go--and even then some are less fiddly than others. This is my current favorite, because who doesn't relish paying seventy bucks for a twelve-buck accessory?

Silca Securo Ti V2.
I like the slotted holes that lets you adjust the position. Useful if you have a frame bag.

I just got a King Cage that has higher holes for a lower mounting position.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 12-19-23, 08:41 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I didn't like the composite cages I tried years ago. Like you, I found it not too easy to place the bottle without looking.
I use generic stainless steel cages, like these. "44 grams", about $16

9 years on my current bike, they look like new. I can reliably slam the bottle back in without looking. They grip the bottles securely, and don't leave black marks like cheap aluminum cages do.

The King cage costs a little more. 48 grams $26.
I see they also have a version with the mounting holes up higher, to move the cage lower by about an inch.
Old 12-19-23, 09:18 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've been hearing for years the ti Kings work just as well. I probably should go that way because two of my bikes are ti. When my SS cages wear out. It will give me something to look forward to in my next lifetime.
I hear ya. Have a Blackburn stainless, must be 25 YO, and it's flawless. My old aluminum cages are all worn and bent into weird shapes--it's the Clark Kent of cages.
Old 12-19-23, 10:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1 these have been fine for me too. I can’t remember if mine are the plus version or standard, but they are secure and easy to use.
Ordered two

Old 12-19-23, 10:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I hear ya. Have a Blackburn stainless, must be 25 YO, and it's flawless. My old aluminum cages are all worn and bent into weird shapes--it's the Clark Kent of cages.
My Kings go back top about 2000. Every cage I've bought since then. 2 per bike and the fleet has grown. I still have 2 TAs going. The cage that King and many others copied (but made better) because they worked so well. Yes, welds eventually broke and the earlier ones shed the plastic before that happened but they were the easy stuff and didn't shed bottles. The story I heard several times was that TA kept making them years after they disappeared over here because the lessor known pro riders insisted they keep making them. (The no-name riders who do their hard work first half of the race, then have to drag themselves along the rest of the course and over the mountains to finish inside the time limit and start again tomorrow. Their team car is far up the road. If they lose a bottle on the rough descent, dehydration might lead to sickness, dropping out and perhaps not a contract next year. Lugging a couple extra ounces up that mountain with the peloton far up the road? Who cares.)
Old 12-20-23, 12:23 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Stainless steel so bottles don't get marked up.
Stainless steel so cages don't snap or crack.
Stainless steel so bottles stay in place since that's like the most basic expectation for a cage.
MUSA, for what it's worth.
And, they're usually pretty light being usually made of hollow tubes. I love my inexpensive generic SS bottle cage. Easy to use, non-marking, durable, pretty "stealth" because the tubes are so narrow/small. Can't even remember where I got it, either as a generic EBay item or maybe a semi-generic Performance Bike back in the day.
Old 12-20-23, 06:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The reviews said they scrape up the bottles. Your experience?
Which ones? I've already indicated that the 1st ones were scratching my bottles. For the Supacaz I just ordered, I don't know yet, but at 70$ per item, I would hope they do a better job than my current 10$ ones.
Old 12-20-23, 06:37 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I didn't like the composite cages I tried years ago. Like you, I found it not too easy to place the bottle without looking.
I use generic stainless steel cages, like these. "44 grams", about $16

9 years on my current bike, they look like new. I can reliably slam the bottle back in without looking. They grip the bottles securely, and don't leave black marks like cheap aluminum cages do.

The King cage costs a little more. 48 grams $26.
I see they also have a version with the mounting holes up higher, to move the cage lower by about an inch.
Thanks for the tip about the lowering version - getting one for my handlebar location.
Old 12-21-23, 09:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://kingcage.com/products/iris-king-cage

Stainless steel so bottles don't get marked up.
Stainless steel so cages don't snap or crack.
Stainless steel so bottles stay in place since that's like the most basic expectation for a cage.
MUSA, for what it's worth.

If you want it in black- https://mythcycles.com/product/powde...ng-cage-black/
If you want a different shape...
https://www.amazon.com/Arundel-Stain...BoCzBQQAvD_BwE
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...hoC-wkQAvD_BwE
These are the only cages I'll run on my gravel bike, since they grip a bottle like grim death. And my oldest pair, at almost twenty years and about 60k miles, has never -- NEVER -- needed to be reshaped. The design prevents it from ever bending or otherwise loosening up. BUT: they are tight enough that the OP might have to look down to re-insert the bottle. In that case, the standard King Cage, in SS or ti, is a great alternative.
Old 12-21-23, 09:55 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
This is my current favorite, because who doesn't relish paying seventy bucks for a twelve-buck accessory?

Silca Securo Ti V2.
That looks like the Delta brand cages sold at Dick's for $7.99 which is what I use. Holds the bottle nice and tight and since I don't drink while in motion it meets all my bottle mounting and unmounting needs. Plus I'm a cheap bastard who likes a cheap cage.
Old 12-21-23, 11:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
These are the only cages I'll run on my gravel bike, since they grip a bottle like grim death. And my oldest pair, at almost twenty years and about 60k miles, has never -- NEVER -- needed to be reshaped. The design prevents it from ever bending or otherwise loosening up. BUT: they are tight enough that the OP might have to look down to re-insert the bottle. In that case, the standard King Cage, in SS or ti, is a great alternative.
Yeah, someone might need to look down to insert a bottle. I have found that the iris design sorta guides a bottle into place based on how the tubing is shaped.
But yeah, each of us is different on comfort and also reach to the bottles so what is ideal for one may be hell for another.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-21-23, 09:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I second the Elite cages, I've got them on a couple different bikes.

I have a set of these on one of the road bikes:

For the gravel bike, I have the "Cannibal XC" Elite cages. They load from the side/top and really hold the bottles well in bumpy terrain. I can even grab/put back a bottle in them when bouncy down some rocky fire road, without even looking.

Bought the first one and they are feather weight and are exactly what I was looking for (modern to match the bike, light and not uber expensive). Super recommendation. Thanks.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-21-23 at 09:51 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-25-23, 09:12 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have, on different bikes:
- King Ti. Look the part, but my bottles sometimes go in at an angle and I have to reach down again to adjust
- Elite Race. Similar to most Elite plastic/fiberglass cages. Holds the bottle fine, but will scrape the bottle, and they’ll get stained eventually
- Elite Ciussi. The coins are great for centering bottles and easy withdrawal, but this is the one set that I’ve lost a bottle from. In their defense, they’re 20 yrs old. The brass on the buttons requires a periodic polishing
- Amazon carbon fiber. Light, cheap, bottle scrapey

I think my next set of cages will likely be King Iris or Elite Ciussi Inox (stainless steel). Better bottle action with the Ciussi, and the steel can be bent for more/less clamping. The Iris looks nice, and probably solves the standard King cage’s centering issue.
Old 12-25-23, 09:26 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Anyone looking for matchy-matchy King cages: https://www.agavefinishworks.com/sho...gory=King+Cage
Old 12-25-23, 08:11 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Anyone looking for matchy-matchy King cages: https://www.agavefinishworks.com/sho...gory=King+Cage
I wish you'd never posted that link! My willpower is fading fast!
Old 12-25-23, 09:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
The Iris looks nice, and probably solves the standard King cage’s centering issue.
If you’re looking for cages that hold bottles securely, the Iris is pretty much perfect. It’s also gorgeous and uber-reliable.
Old 12-25-23, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I wish you'd never posted that link! My willpower is fading fast!
Isn’t that the point of a specialty forum? Spending money on things you never knew you wanted or ‘needed’. 😃

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-25-23, 10:47 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Isn’t that the point of a specialty forum? Spending money on things you never knew you wanted or ‘needed’. 😃
It's also a lot easier to spend other people's money! : 😜
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 12-26-23, 01:36 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Bought the first one and they are feather weight and are exactly what I was looking for (modern to match the bike, light and not uber expensive). Super recommendation. Thanks.
Come on, 43 g, while reasonable, is hardly "feather weight."
Old 12-26-23, 09:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Come on, 43 g, while reasonable, is hardly "feather weight."
Merry Christmas!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-28-23, 01:42 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I like PDW cages shaped like animals. They are durable, light, and easy enough to use with a little practice. And they are hands-down the most stylish way to carry water on a bike.
Old 12-28-23, 05:23 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I've used so many different ones over the years. But, my favorites are the titanium King cages and the Enve carbon ones...
Those Enve carbon cages got the kung-fu grip! I needed some side-entry cages with a strong grip and saw that the Enve cages got really good reviews. They are ridiculously expensive , but they're great cages. I expect they will serve me well for years to come. In the long run, they might prove to be a good value.
Old 12-28-23, 07:03 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
just picked up from aliexpress for about $15 for 2. Full 3k carbon 19 grams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.