Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why am I faster on gravel w/ hybrid than road on road bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 03:00 PM
mrbuku

Bikes: Giant Defy 5, Giant Escape 1, Windsor Wellington 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have noticed a trend via Strava that I am generally 1 mph+ faster on a limestone trail than on the road? For the gravel trail I ride a Giant Escape 1 and on the pavement I ride a Giant Defy 5 (both 2015). On average I am around 16-16.5 on the pavement and 16.5-17.5 on the limestone trail? Any input into why this might be? Certainly if I have been too vague let me know.
Old 11-15-15, 03:18 PM
Damien09

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbuku
So I have noticed a trend via Strava that I am generally 1 mph+ faster on a limestone trail than on the road? For the gravel trail I ride a Giant Escape 1 and on the pavement I ride a Giant Defy 5 (both 2015). On average I am around 16-16.5 on the pavement and 16.5-17.5 on the limestone trail? Any input into why this might be? Certainly if I have been too vague let me know.
Is one trail flater than the other? Does one have more stops or 90 degree turns. Lots of things could add up to why. Even could be you enjoy the limestonw trail so you push harder. This probaly wont answer your question but its hard to know with just thw above info
Old 11-15-15, 03:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Your favorite gravel trail might be sheltered from winds by trees, while your pavement route may have just enough wind to slow you down. Happens routinely on one of my favorite semi-rural routes, where I feel faster on the rougher residential gravel and asphalt pavement than on the smoother highway shoulders. But the east/west highway is very subject to a steady wind, often shifting from day to day and with time of day, so I'm often slower going home because the headwinds are just strong enough to make it a chore even on the gradual downslope. Meanwhile the rougher gravel and pavement roads are heavily sheltered by trees.
Old 11-15-15, 04:04 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damien09
Is one trail flater than the other? Does one have more stops or 90 degree turns. Lots of things could add up to why. Even could be you enjoy the limestonw trail so you push harder. This probaly wont answer your question but its hard to know with just thw above info
I do notice my watt output is higher on gravel. Elevation wise it is fairly similar or even has a bit of a higher elevation climb on the trail. I do know the trail rather well as it starts a block from my house and runs roughly 40 miles. Perhaps since I only have to make a few intersection stops plays into it. But I have also noticed that I am faster on my hybrid riding on pavement than my road bike. Perhaps a fit issue?
Old 11-15-15, 04:06 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Your favorite gravel trail might be sheltered from winds by trees, while your pavement route may have just enough wind to slow you down. Happens routinely on one of my favorite semi-rural routes, where I feel faster on the rougher residential gravel and asphalt pavement than on the smoother highway shoulders. But the east/west highway is very subject to a steady wind, often shifting from day to day and with time of day, so I'm often slower going home because the headwinds are just strong enough to make it a chore even on the gradual downslope. Meanwhile the rougher gravel and pavement roads are heavily sheltered by trees.
That could be? Though the trail runs through quite a bit of farmland with little shelter from the wind/crosswinds. I do know the trail inch by inch versus when I ride on the road. The other mystery I am trying to solve is why I am also faster on a cheapie Windsor Wellington I got off CL compared to my newer, more expensive Giant Defy? Perhaps I need to cough up the cash for the fitting on the newer road bike?
Old 11-15-15, 04:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
No stop signs and traffic lights. Although the software filters out time not moving, it's still includes the time you spend accelerating and decelerating to some speed above your average.
Old 11-15-15, 04:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
<insert baseless opinion here > that answer your Question?
Old 11-15-15, 04:34 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Because wider tires are faster. Duh.
Old 11-15-15, 04:40 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had an all-steel "10-speed" in the 1980's that I thought ran great. However, I was razzed by people who said things like: "I wouldn't be caught dead on a bike with cottered cranks." So I bought a sharp-looking road bike with double-butted tubing and alloy everything else. Nothing wrong with it, but I remember the immediate disappointment when it seemed to have less "drive" or momentum. Just a vivid impression, I never did measured comparisons of speed. However, I had the necessary street-cred.
Old 11-15-15, 04:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I do notice my watt output is higher on gravel. Elevation wise it is fairly similar or even has a bit of a higher elevation climb on the trail. I do know the trail rather well as it starts a block from my house and runs roughly 40 miles. Perhaps since I only have to make a few intersection stops plays into it. But I have also noticed that I am faster on my hybrid riding on pavement than my road bike. Perhaps a fit issue?
how much ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-15-15, 04:53 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Because wider tires are faster. Duh.
Is this sarcasm or a real statement? I have 700x32 on the hybrid and 700x23 on the road bike.
Old 11-15-15, 04:54 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
how much ?
Roughly 40-80 watts average per ride.
Old 11-15-15, 04:57 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habilis
I had an all-steel "10-speed" in the 1980's that I thought ran great. However, I was razzed by people who said things like: "I wouldn't be caught dead on a bike with cottered cranks." So I bought a sharp-looking road bike with double-butted tubing and alloy everything else. Nothing wrong with it, but I remember the immediate disappointment when it seemed to have less "drive" or momentum. Just a vivid impression, I never did measured comparisons of speed. However, I had the necessary street-cred.
That is similar to what I am experiencing with the new bike. I bought the "bikes direct" Windsor Wellington 1.0, only changed the tires to a Continental Ultra Sport, no other modifications. But time after time, same routes, similar conditions I am observing a faster ride on the $150 CL bike than the $800 LBS bike. When I first started riding last spring to lose weight I bought a cheap Target Schwinn Solora that I certainly felt faster on, only thing with that bike was the further and more often I rode the components weren't able to hold up. Would have nickle and dimed me to death.
Old 11-15-15, 05:04 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some engines are better for sports cars; some engines are better for SUVs.
Old 11-15-15, 06:14 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
all things being equal it's not likely, but really, there are too many variables to consider to make comparisons worth the effort.
Old 11-15-15, 06:15 PM
Damien09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That could be? Though the trail runs through quite a bit of farmland with little shelter from the wind/crosswinds. I do know the trail inch by inch versus when I ride on the road. The other mystery I am trying to solve is why I am also faster on a cheapie Windsor Wellington I got off CL compared to my newer, more expensive Giant Defy? Perhaps I need to cough up the cash for the fitting on the newer road bike?
If your average is really 40-80 watts more on the hybrid. That could be a big part of the difference.If your faster on your cheap cl bike, you could measure its fit and transfer it to your new bike?
Old 11-15-15, 06:33 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damien09
If your average is really 40-80 watts more on the hybrid. That could be a big part of the difference.If your faster on your cheap cl bike, you could measure its fit and transfer it to your new bike?
Yes, I have noticed the handlebar position on the Windsor is a better fit, I did have the stem on the new bike replaced which made a bit of a difference. But I still can't really ride the drops comfortably. The watts are based on the measurements of my last few rides on each bike.
Old 11-15-15, 06:39 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Roughly 40-80 watts average per ride.
You are working much harder on one bike to go faster. That's all.
Old 11-15-15, 06:54 PM
Damien09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have noticed the handlebar position on the Windsor is a better fit, I did have the stem on the new bike replaced which made a bit of a difference. But I still can't really ride the drops comfortably. The watts are based on the measurements of my last few rides on each bike.
you could try raising them stem a little. But that may make your tops high .your cheap bike may have conpact bars and your new bike has deeper drops. Its hard to say as i cant see the two bikes. Seatpost hight could make some diffrence. but 40-80 watts more id say is more that you feel comfortable on the bikes you are makeing that much more power. unless your fit is way off. Its hard to say ,id say ride the new bike and try to adjust its fit. If you have $ you could go and get a pro bike fit. But rember all are not equal some bike fits dont change much
Old 11-15-15, 09:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...The other mystery I am trying to solve is why I am also faster on a cheapie Windsor Wellington I got off CL compared to my newer, more expensive Giant Defy?
Windsor specs and user reports indicate that bike weighs around 24 lbs, depending on tires. That's pretty light for a very affordable bike. And the Continental Ultra Sports may just be a very good match for that bike and your riding style. That combination sounds like a good value.

The Giant probably weighs closer to 30 lbs with the stock tires, which may be slower in exchange for the puncture resistance.
Old 11-15-15, 10:17 PM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Windsor specs and user reports indicate that bike weighs around 24 lbs, depending on tires. That's pretty light for a very affordable bike. And the Continental Ultra Sports may just be a very good match for that bike and your riding style. That combination sounds like a good value.

The Giant probably weighs closer to 30 lbs with the stock tires, which may be slower in exchange for the puncture resistance.
Oh wow, I would have thought the Giant weighed less than that? I put the same tires on the Giant. The only downside with the Windsor is I do not have much of a granny gear that makes climbs difficult and not a gear high enough to pedal all the way down descends. In my hardest gear I generally cannot pedal all the way down. The Defy's compact gears give me much better range.
Old 11-15-15, 10:24 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Is this sarcasm or a real statement? I have 700x32 on the hybrid and 700x23 on the road bike.
Welcome to BF, mrbuku. Have fun riding your bikes and posting here... like I do.
Old 11-15-15, 10:54 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Oh wow, I would have thought the Giant weighed less than that? I put the same tires on the Giant. The only downside with the Windsor is I do not have much of a granny gear that makes climbs difficult and not a gear high enough to pedal all the way down descends. In my hardest gear I generally cannot pedal all the way down. The Defy's compact gears give me much better range.
Lol, non, the giant does not weigh any 30 lbs. I had a defy 1 and it was like 21 lbs. canklecat either jests or had too much to drink tonight.
Old 11-16-15, 07:18 AM
mrbuku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Lol, non, the giant does not weigh any 30 lbs. I had a defy 1 and it was like 21 lbs. canklecat either jests or had too much to drink tonight.
I had to look it up after that and seen a XL frame was 9.62 kg without pedals. I think my Escape doesn't even weigh 30...
Old 11-16-15, 08:30 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 2014 escape 2 weighs between 30 and 35 lbs, but that's with a rear rack, panniers, rear top bag, and a pair of Schwalbe Big Bens.

The Escape 1's since at least 2015 have had a carbon fork, so a stock one should be in the mid-20's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.