Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Grand Island, NY - bridge questions

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 09:05 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts

Hi folks! Wondering if any Buffalo-area locals could help me with some logistics for a summer tour I'm planning with some co-workers.

We are going to be started on Grand Island (where I have a friend letting us park a car or two while we are out). From there, we are heading to Niagara Falls (NY), back down to Tonawanda, and riding the EST out to Rochester 'n' back.

Two of the people in the group are not really enthused about the pedestrian walkways on the I-190 bridges. Specific concerns include the posted signage indicating one must walk the (loaded) bikes across the bridge, the narrowness of the pedestrian lanes, and the fact that it's right along the freeway with really no space between us and traffic (aside from the guardrail).

So I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have ridden/walked these bridges and can give some real-world insight as to how scary they really are.
Old 09-10-23, 01:29 PM
OnTheTarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
I know this is an old post but for posterity sake, I can confirm both bridges to Grand Island are bikeable and not scary at all. Nobody follows the walk your bike rule but at the same time take it pretty easy to not make it dangerous.
Old 09-12-23, 09:31 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I just did this ride and can confirm...the bridges are rideable and not really scary.

I suck at climbing but made it to the top, a bit winded. I dismounted to catch my breath, enjoy the view over the river, and take a pic. This should give a good idea of what the bridges are like...