Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Single speed cyclocross/gravel frames: can anyone name some brands?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 12:35 PM
maxants33

Bikes: Caliber Astronut, On One Scandal 29er, Trek Procaliber 9, Vitus Energie CRX, Kinesis Athiene, Specialized Singlecross, Pashley Roadking, Bridgstone w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I am proud owner of Specialized Singlecross. Its my commuter and light tourer. It's been a really great bike, but I fear the frame is nearing the end of its life. One particularly concerning thing is the seat stays slowly starting to bend at the site of the v brakes...

I'm interested in getting a new frame soon and swapping my parts over. As my wheelset is rim brake based, primarily looking for something that takes cantis/Vs.

However - currently, me search has shown me the following frames:
- On one Pompino
- Soecialized Singlecross

And thats it....

Can anyone suggest any other single speed frames I can look for?

Also interested if disc frames. I could be convinced to upgrade possibly....
Old 12-15-23, 07:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
What dropout spacing?
Old 12-16-23, 01:14 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Any of the Soma frames with the Tange IRD sliding dropouts could easily be run as a disc braked single speed. It really couldn't be easier.

Soma Fab

Rush, Juice, Jawbone. Buena Vista. Maybe some others... I have a Buena Vista disc. But, it comes in a rim brake version, too.

Finding a canti or V-brake single speed may be a bit of a tough go. The reason is that the horizontal dropouts on well thought out single-speeds tend to be sort of close to perpendicular to the brake bridge to minimize pad adjustments when making chain adjustments. Canti/V brakes don't tend to lend themselves to big changes in wheel position.

Good luck with your search.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-17-23, 11:22 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Bianchi San Jose?
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 12-18-23, 01:07 AM
maxants33

Bikes: Caliber Astronut, On One Scandal 29er, Trek Procaliber 9, Vitus Energie CRX, Kinesis Athiene, Specialized Singlecross, Pashley Roadking, Bridgstone w/ Xtracycle

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Bianchi San Jose?
This is exactly what I'm after! Set up an eBay alert. Nothing for sale sadly. But I think you found my next frame. Many thanks!
Old 12-18-23, 01:11 AM
maxants33

Originally Posted by base2
Any of the Soma frames with the Tange IRD sliding dropouts could easily be run as a disc braked single speed. It really couldn't be easier.

Soma Fab

Rush, Juice, Jawbone. Buena Vista. Maybe some others... I have a Buena Vista disc. But, it comes in a rim brake version, too.

Finding a canti or V-brake single speed may be a bit of a tough go. The reason is that the horizontal dropouts on well thought out single-speeds tend to be sort of close to perpendicular to the brake bridge to minimize pad adjustments when making chain adjustments. Canti/V brakes don't tend to lend themselves to big changes in wheel position.

Good luck with your search.
Many thanks! All the Soma frames look amazing. If I can't find V brakes, looks like it will be some disc Soma.
Old 12-18-23, 01:21 AM
maxants33

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What dropout spacing?
110mm (although I actually use a sturmey archer 2-speed kick-back hub, which is 116mm, but fits fine....)
Of course - it's a good point to bring that up, as I'm assuming bikes with sliding dropouts will be 135mm+
Old 12-18-23, 10:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by maxants33
110mm (although I actually use a sturmey archer 2-speed kick-back hub, which is 116mm, but fits fine....)
Of course - it's a good point to bring that up, as I'm assuming bikes with sliding dropouts will be 135mm+
I am unaware of any rim brake single speed gravel/cx frames with 110mm dropouts.
Some options below that are rim brake but wider dropout spacing...

This is 120mm dropout and fits a 44mm tire and uses canti brakes- https://wabicycles.com/products/wabi...pr_seq=uniform

This is 120mm dropout and fits a 45mm tire, but caliper brake- https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...-set-navy-gold

This is 130mm dropout and fits a 50mm tire and uses canti brakes- https://blackmtncycles.com/product-c.../monstercross/

This is 130mm dropout and fits 27.5x2.4 tire with canti brake- https://crustbikes.com/collections/f...ts/florida-man

Best of luck finding a 110mm dropout single speed CX/gravel frame with canti brake mounts. A Bianchi San Jose is 130mm spacing, fwiw.
Old 12-18-23, 11:15 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I'm also not certain 110 exists in what you're looking for and would be surprised if your old frame was that narrow, maybe the failure at the brakes is from stressing the stays by squeezing them inward? My SS cross Motobecane Uno is 120mm and finding a disc hub to fit it is a real pain, its a touch on the chunky side but rides nicely.
I noticed that a lot of SS riders are using frames with T47 bottom brackets or a similar sized pressfit and they're using eccentric BBs to take up the chain slack. But most of them are then running 135mm or 142mm rear hubs.
Old 12-18-23, 11:57 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/nature_boy

sorry, didn't realize the link was broke:

https://www.statebicycle.com/product...r-single-speed

Last edited by superdex; 12-20-23 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-18-23, 03:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

https://www.poseidonbike.com/product...43425219444964

One other option- its 120mm dropouts and fits a 40mm tire. The fork can handle a caliper brake...
Old 12-19-23, 04:21 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by maxants33
I am proud owner of Specialized Singlecross. Its my commuter and light tourer. It's been a really great bike, but I fear the frame is nearing the end of its life. One particularly concerning thing is the seat stays slowly starting to bend at the site of the v brakes...

I'm interested in getting a new frame soon and swapping my parts over. As my wheelset is rim brake based, primarily looking for something that takes cantis/Vs.

However - currently, me search has shown me the following frames:
- On one Pompino
- Soecialized Singlecross

And thats it....

Can anyone suggest any other single speed frames I can look for?

Also interested if disc frames. I could be convinced to upgrade possibly....
https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...r-single-speed

https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...ed-track-bikes

The links, on the bottom of the pages shows their frames only. The 4130's have frames with rim brakes, unsure if canti/v's would fit these.

Just an FYI, I was speaking to a rep for State bikes. Tomorrow the 20th, I was told they would be having a 30% off on their frames.
Old 12-25-23, 05:19 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik...699888716.html