Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Rival 1 1x11 crankset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 03:46 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts

I installed the new crankset onto my State 4130 frame with a GXP 68mm BB. I have found that the non drive side has 2mm of space between the crank and the frame.

I had thought this crankset should be ok on a frame with a 12x142 wheel, but am now not sure since I cannot locate any definite answer on SRAM's site. Wondering if anyone knows for sure here?

I am considering installing the 2.5mm spacers after taking BB off and reinstalling it. The drive side has 5mm space between crank and frame. Any Advise? Did I just purchase the wrong crankset?

The Crankset: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/fc-riv-1-a1

Thanks!

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-16-24 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 04:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A miss is as good as a mile.
Old 01-16-24, 04:43 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Iride01
A miss is as good as a mile.
Ok, perhaps I am over thinking it? I am used to a larger space on cranksets on mountain bikes and hybrids....
Old 01-16-24, 04:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If it doesn't change up your chain line in too negative a way, you can play with spacer combinations on the two sides of your BB. If you have spacers to play with.

You might see if the maker of those cranks publishes the q-factor in the spec's and compare it to the q-factor of any previous cranks you had on that frame. If you went to longer crank arms, but the q-factor remained the same between the cranks, then what you are seeing is the spread of the chain stays widening to get closer to that longer crank arm.

I can't quite remember where q-factor is measured to. Maybe another does. But it's either the inboard point where the pedal hole starts or the outboard point of that pedal hole... IIRC.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-16-24, 05:05 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by Iride01
If it doesn't change up your chain line in too negative a way, you can play with spacer combinations on the two sides of your BB. If you have spacers to play with.

You might see if the maker of those cranks publishes the q-factor in the spec's and compare it to the q-factor of any previous cranks you had on that frame. If you went to longer crank arms, but the q-factor remained the same between the cranks, then what you are seeing is the spread of the chain stays widening to get closer to that longer crank arm.

I can't quite remember where q-factor is measured to. Maybe another does. But it's either the inboard point where the pedal hole starts or the outboard point of that pedal hole... IIRC.
Thanks, will look into that after I play around with the spacers I do have. It's a new frame, but will look further after making some adjustments.
Old 01-16-24, 08:21 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Thanks, will look into that after I play around with the spacers I do have. It's a new frame, but will look further after making some adjustments.
Here is the Tech info from SRAM. This is from 2021's Frame Fit Spec. Haven't checked if changes have been made after 2021.

Likes For KCT1986:
Old 01-16-24, 08:32 PM
travbikeman

Thanks, I have this past few hours researched further and found this crank will not work with the frame. I should have purchased a wide version of the Apex or Rival Crank. This Rival crankset only works with road bikes for thinner rear wheels. It is not compatible for a 12x142, even with the spacers added.

This is what happens when looking for good deals and not diving into details as much as I needed to. Unfortunately I purchased from Colorado Cycles and they will not take returns if item was removed from package and installed. BUT, I might install it onto another bike that it would fit on.

Now I'm just trying to decide what crankset I want to spend money on. I might just get the crankset from State Bikes that I know will fit the bike.
Old 01-16-24, 08:46 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Thanks, I have this past few hours researched further and found this crank will not work with the frame. I should have purchased a wide version of the Apex or Rival Crank. This Rival crankset only works with road bikes for thinner rear wheels. It is not compatible for a 12x142, even with the spacers added.

This is what happens when looking for good deals and not diving into details as much as I needed to. Unfortunately I purchased from Colorado Cycles and they will not take returns if item was removed from package and installed. BUT, I might install it onto another bike that it would fit on.

Now I'm just trying to decide what crankset I want to spend money on. I might just get the crankset from State Bikes that I know will fit the bike.
Yes, seems that the 1x12 Wide versions are not much wider for stay clearance, at least for the 2021 version.
Likes For KCT1986: