Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Experience with a Burley Travoy?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 08:12 PM
bnorvell

Bikes: 1986 Trek Elance 400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody have much experience commuting with a Burley Travoy trailer? I have one I found for a great deal and am trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or not.

Wondering about durability over time...turning/cornering...feel like it makes you wider and more apt to get hit by a car? Other general thoughts?
Old 08-25-12, 08:26 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one and use it for grocery shopping. I only got it this spring, so can't speak for durability, so far so good.
As far as turning goes, it tracks behind beautifully, you barely even know it's there. I only noticed that I needed to take a little wider turn on a few occasions, usually I just ride as normal.
It doesn't feel that wide, I think it would compare to a width of a bike with packed panniers.
You could add some reflective tape to the sides, if you're concerned about cars.
Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

Since you got one, take it for a test ride. Best way to find out if you like it.
Old 08-27-12, 08:44 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a Burley Travoy but I built one just like it using a golf caddy bag I found at a thrift store for less than $5, and I also made a full-sized DIY bike trailer. Between a full-sized trailer and the Travoy-style trailer, the Travoy-style is much easier to tow. Both corner well, but the shorter length of the Travoy-style trailer definitely has a smaller turning radius than a full-sized trailer.

Between the two types, the Travoy-style is definitely a more care-free towing experience. If all you are going to be hauling smaller loads like when commuting or going for a small amount of groceries, the Travoy-style is probably the way to go. If you do a lot of hauling, like to go car free a lot, or have to get groceries for the entire family, a larger trailer would be better.

In terms of width, the Travoy-style trailer is still not as wide as a full set of rear panniers.

Here is my DIY Travoy-style trailer in action. Because it isn't nearly as long as a full-style trailer, its smaller profile takes the corners better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DIYTrailer.jpg (67.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by MadCityCyclist; 08-27-12 at 08:49 PM.