Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

May have to change my share the road thinking

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 07:22 PM
DTSs

Bikes: Torelli Super Strada, Phase3 Stowe Tetra, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Check out ATT's latest poll on phone use

Scary
Old 05-19-15, 07:41 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11978 Post(s)
Liked 6,676 Times in 3,493 Posts
No doubt.
Old 05-19-15, 07:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Yesterday I was waiting for a light to turn green when I saw the person in the car to my left was texting. I said "can you please put the phone down, the life you save might be mine.".

She was not pleased and flipped me the bird.

I caught up to her at the next light and have her 2 thumbs up. She was still on the phone.
Old 05-19-15, 07:45 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Yesterday I was waiting for a light to turn green when I saw the person in the car to my left was texting. I said "can you please put the phone down, the life you save might be mine.".

She was not pleased and flipped me the bird.

I caught up to her at the next light and have her 2 thumbs up. She was still on the phone.
Witch!
Old 05-19-15, 07:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

If i wasn't wearing bibs, i would of "mooned" her
Old 05-19-15, 07:48 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I've seen cyclists texting! Just today a saw a young lady cyclist talking on the phone while cycling. Actually holding the phone in her hand held up to her ear... no BT ear piece or ear buds or anything.
Old 05-19-15, 07:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I've seen cyclists texting! Just today a saw a young lady cyclist talking on the phone while cycling. Actually holding the phone in her hand held up to her ear... no BT ear piece or ear buds or anything.
The big difference is she'll probably only kill herself if she crashes into something.
Old 05-19-15, 07:50 PM
Csdhlhcky

Bikes: 2014 Tarmac Pro w/Sram Red, 2009 Allez Double

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely. Began cycling in LA last summer, 2nd week on the bike I was hit by a driver that was texting and did not see me. Luckily it was low-speed, low-injury, but it was an eye opening experience on really watching the cars and drivers around you!
Old 05-19-15, 07:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I regularly see recreational cyclists on the hone, listening to music and generally self absorbed when on the MUP.... I usually stay off the paths for this and many other reasons.
Old 05-19-15, 08:39 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
The big difference is she'll probably only kill herself if she crashes into something.
Your right... but then some cyclists will be upset that yet another motorist kills a cyclist and avoids blame. But in all seriousness.... it can be devastating to anyone involved in a fatal accident. Even if it isn't your fault and couldn't have been avoided.... it can haunt your sleep and invade thoughts.

I regularly see recreational cyclists on the hone, listening to music and generally self absorbed when on the MUP.... I usually stay off the paths for this and many other reasons.
She was right downtown... on an access street.... next to the busiest street/road in the area. But you're right about the MUPs. Yet I still enjoy riding the MUPs anyway. However the paths are several miles from home and I hate to transport my bike.... to ride my bike. So I ride a lot of urban streets, residential areas, and roads more than I do paths.

I prefer to keep my attention on my riding when cycling. But when I am jogging (always residential area) I always listen to music through ear buds.
Old 05-19-15, 08:57 PM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At least getting caught in Ontario is a $300 to $1000 fine and 3 demerit points. It deters at least some who would otherwise text and drive.
Old 05-19-15, 09:02 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rbk_3
At least getting caught in Ontario is a $300 to $1000 fine and 3 demerit points. It deters at least some who would otherwise text and drive.
Yep. And I think it should be even higher. One OPP guy said that deaths from distracted driving are now higher than from drunk driving.
Old 05-19-15, 09:05 PM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Yep. And I think it should be even higher. One OPP guy said that deaths from distracted driving are now higher than from drunk driving.
Distracted driving caused more 2013 deaths than impaired driving: OPP - 680 NEWS

Distracted driving crashed more deaths than impaired driving in 2013, Ontario Provincial Police say.
The sobering numbers were released on Monday.
The OPP say that in 2013, the number of crashes involving distracted driving was higher than both impaired and speed-related fatalities.
Seventy-eight people were killed in distracted driving collisions compared to 57 impaired deaths and 44 speed-related ones.
“When you consider the overall impact of these 78 fatalities last year and the 325 other distracted driving victims who have died since 2010, the number of people these irresponsible drivers have had a profound and devastating impact on is in the thousands,” OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair said in a statement.
“Everyone, from the victims’ families and friends to the police officers who attend these horrific collision scenes and have to notify next-of-kin … know how badly this behaviour needs to stop,” he added.
Distracted driving involves talking or texting on a hand-held device while behind the wheel. It’s also illegal for drivers to look at display screens, such as laptops, MP3 players, or DVD players, that are unrelated to driving.
Old 05-19-15, 09:23 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
C'mon self-driving cars! Or more people using mass transit. It's insane how many people choose not to pay attention to the (very important) task at hand...I think my favorite is people holding phones up to their mouths on speakerphone, like that makes it legal or ok.
Old 05-19-15, 09:26 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's about a 10 year old story and it didn't happen to me, but it's still funny and worth telling. My buddy was riding to class in college when a girl, talking on a the phone, ran into him at an intersection (slow accident, she stopped and was taking off again and didn't even see him). He was fine, but did get knocked over and she stopped to make sure he was ok. He asked to see her phone and she gladly gave it to him, thinking he was calling for a ride as he acted like something was wrong with his bike. When she gave him the phone he chucked it about 50 feet down the road and told her to f' off. Needless to say, she wasn't very happy.

Old 05-19-15, 09:30 PM
Farhat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
It's about a 10 year old story and it didn't happen to me, but it's still funny and worth telling. My buddy was riding to class in college when a girl, talking on a the phone, ran into him at an intersection (slow accident, she stopped and was taking off again and didn't even see him). He was fine, but did get knocked over and she stopped to make sure he was ok. He asked to see her phone and she gladly gave it to him, thinking he was calling for a ride as he acted like something was wrong with his bike. When she gave him the phone he chucked it about 50 feet down the road and told her to f' off. Needless to say, she wasn't very happy.
Winning!
Old 05-20-15, 08:40 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Witch!
I think you need to apologize...

Witches are not normally that rude, so you should apologize to witches.

GH
Old 05-20-15, 09:13 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Last summer my car got totaled. I was stopped in traffic and the guy coming up behind me had a really important text or something. Line of cars ahead of me a mile long, so the guy had to have been ignoring reality for a while. Car wasn't drivable after that, I was fine because it was basically a suit of armor. If somebody hit me that hard when I was on the bike I'd be dead.
Old 05-20-15, 09:27 AM
Will G

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 35 Posts
Nearly had that same thing happen to me just last week. I'm sitting at a stop sign and hear squealing tires. Glancing into the rear view, all I see is a Chevy logo on a pickup truck rapidly approaching in a panic stop. The truck slides to a stop not far from my bumper and I watch this woman bend over to pick something off the floorboard and sits back up with her phone to her ear. Moron.
Old 05-20-15, 09:34 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
After getting rear ended a number of years ago, I've gotten into the habit of always looking in the rearview whenever I come to a stop.

Old 05-20-15, 09:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I keep looking nervously at the rear view when I'm stopped, too. Keep wondering if the person behind me is gonna stop.

It's not so bad now but holy **** I hated that for the month or two after getting hit.
Old 05-20-15, 09:49 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
You could easily kill a pedestrian. And the cyclists wearing earbuds and texting are usually riding on sidewalks and mup where they are more likely to do so
Old 05-20-15, 10:10 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I got rear ended in my car once at a stop sign, but in my case the other driver was drunk. On the bright side I was driving an 80's caprice classic and they had a toyota. My rear quarter panels got a little crease; their car was totaled. The downside was when the cops showed up I found out I had a warrant out on me for some unpaid ticket. Stupid.
Old 05-20-15, 10:15 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
If i wasn't wearing bibs, i would of "mooned" her
No sense in rewarding dangerous behavior.
Old 05-20-15, 11:01 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
I think my favorite is people holding phones up to their mouths on speakerphone, like that makes it legal or ok.
Exactly. This one drives me crazy. The law is 'hands free' not 'ears free' !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.