Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On Becoming A Real Man

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On Becoming A Real Man

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 06:29 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
And oddly, after 20 years around the NY Metro Area racing scene, I'd say BF is quite reflective of Road Culture (or the utter lack thereof) here in my area. On the other hand there aren't too many Ned Flanders types here in NY. It's the American Ahole Festival. I fit right in. We like it that way. And we don't care what anybody thinks about it. They can suck my friggin wheel if they don't like it.
I tend to think those are New Yorkers who happen to be roadies. Although there is a clique here in California, we are a pretty mellow group. You already said that though (the last thing we need is a West Coast / East Coast war like the rappers had; that could get messy).
Old 12-01-08, 06:32 PM
kwrides

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waytoomanybikes
This nonsense about the "roadie culture" is just that.

Nonsense, and a convenient excuse for people to act like idiots.

I started racing at the age of 14.

That was 35 years ago.

I have never in all my years been exposed to, or been around people who exhibit the types of personality or behaviour seen on this forum.

Rather, there is a quiet pride and respect and knowledge of things shared.

The behaviour and personalities that show on this forum, are inexcuseable, and would be in any day-care or kindergarten.

Shameful really.

"Roadie Culture" ? No. Childish, name calling sand box culture? Yes.
Shameful...hmmmmm....really? Isn't that a word for much worse things than telling a guy to fix his handlebars?

Have you never played sports? Have you never been in a debate? Watched a television program or a movie? Read a book? Telling someone to fix their bars is honestly the WORST behavior you've ever seen in your life? REALLY? You need to get out more.
Old 12-01-08, 06:33 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
But there's no Zen in that my little cuda. Where's the Self Loathing?
It comes when I've got 8 stitches in my leg and all I want to do is throw on my gear and go riding. Instead I'm barely able to walk for 3 days, limping for the next 3 days, and off the bike for 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Missed the thread. Missed most of the discussion. been kind of busy lately and fallen out of the top 10 weekly posters on here....sad I know...but in general, as I have said time and time again before, road cycling is just this way.

Roadies have been less than affectionate to newcomers for as long as I have been around the sport (not a ton of time but up to 20 years now). You can say it's for all sorts of reasons - a feeling of fraternity, hazing, safety reasons (scare the squirrels aways), etc but in the end it's just part of the scene.

To expect a roadie based forum to be any different would be kind of silly and unrealistic at best.

Many of us do actually know how to welcome in new riders at the same time we're bustin their balls though.
I know recreational road cyclists, I know racers, I know ex-racers. The racers bust each other's balls and call each other names. But if there's a new guy in the group they either point them in the right direction (perhaps to a ride better suited to their ability) or give them some solid advise.

Guess you and pcad roll with a different sort of roadie group than some of the others here. Scaring off squirrly riders is one thing when you're in a group about to do a tight paceline at 25mph. Quite another when an obviously new rider (or a troll appearing as one) posts on an internet forum. They are not equal. If you want to bust someone's balls, choose the guy who's been on the forum for a few months. Not the guy who's post count is less than the number of spokes in your front wheel.

Originally Posted by waytoomanybikes
This nonsense about the "roadie culture" is just that.

Nonsense, and a convenient excuse for people to act like idiots.

I started racing at the age of 14.

That was 35 years ago.

I have never in all my years been exposed to, or been around people who exhibit the types of personality or behaviour seen on this forum.

Rather, there is a quiet pride and respect and knowledge of things shared.

The behaviour and personalities that show on this forum, are inexcuseable, and would be in any day-care or kindergarten.

Shameful really.

"Roadie Culture" ? No. Childish, name calling sand box culture? Yes.

Originally Posted by Cue
8 pages of nothing all because one kid had a skin thin as a saran wrap. Jeez people.
The problem is it's not just one kid. Its just the latest instance of a trend that has be on the increase for far too long. Who's to blame for letting it get to this point? I'd say we all have our piece of the blame. But we can also be a piece of the solution.

And oddly, after 20 years around the NY Metro Area racing scene, I'd say BF is quite reflective of Road Culture (or the utter lack thereof) here in my area. On the other hand there aren't too many Ned Flanders types here in NY. It's the American Ahole Festival. I fit right in. We like it that way. And we don't care what anybody thinks about it. They can suck my friggin wheel if they don't like it.

I'm on other forums where any hint of incivility or ball busting is not tolerated. They are so boring I hardly frequent them. LIGHTEN THE F UP and you might actually have some fun. What a friggin concept. Is there some 11th Commandment against Fun in Flyover Land? I mean, that has to be it.

Nobody gets their balls busted more than me here. You don't see me wringing my hands, running to the mods, getting my racing bib in a twist or complaining about it. I fire back, have the occasional flame war and let the rest roll off my back. Why would I take anything here seriously? It's an Internet Forum for God's sake, not The Meaning of Life.
Pcad, you welcome the ball bustin, and thus people know you're game for it. And that's cool with me. We have tried to strike a balance between havin fun and being civil. In my honest opinion the line has gotten pushed too far in the "fun" direction to a point that other people are not having fun here any more. You may, and a few others may, because you feel it's your sandbox to throw sand in. When someone comes here looking for advice, they're not looking for fun. They are looking for answers to their question. The answers may be there, but sometimes the member may not get that far because someone else has decided to bust their balls for not looking at pictures of other bikes first.
Old 12-01-08, 06:35 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
maybe I'm just dense but I don't see what was so offensive in that thread, at least the the point where the op responded and freaked out. Enlighten me, please. I'm totally serious.
+1

your reply (the second one I think??) in particular was right on the money and not derogatory in any way.

I just read that thread and can only assume the Mods cleaned up the bad stuff already?
Old 12-01-08, 06:41 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Pcad, you welcome the ball bustin, and thus people know you're game for it. And that's cool with me. We have tried to strike a balance between havin fun and being civil. In my honest opinion the line has gotten pushed too far in the "fun" direction to a point that other people are not having fun here any more. You may, and a few others may, because you feel it's your sandbox to throw sand in. When someone comes here looking for advice, they're not looking for fun. They are looking for answers to their question. The answers may be there, but sometimes the member may not get that far because someone else has decided to bust their balls for not looking at pictures of other bikes first.
The BF Brain Trust will have to decide where to push that balance. Perhaps the mods can choose to enforce the rules when they feel a newbie is being busted upon. That's probably the way to go, everybody will get the message, and it will tone down the alienation of new members but allow the banter between regulars to continue. That's probably the best approach, and perhaps that is the one that is being contemplated. I think that's how I would proceed in your shoes cuda. That makes sense to me, hope it works for you too.
Old 12-01-08, 06:43 PM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
They were getting paid to do so. BF isn't.

No - they went above and beyond with me for some reason. Patrick Arbour (an ex pro who worked at the shop) really helped me out. Heh - he told me knee warmers went under the shorts (I was a dufus). When winter came around he gave me a pair of wool socks off the shelf and said 'you're gonna need these'. No charge. The shop was instrumental in lifting me up and getting me going in the right direction. And they didn't do it for money.

Pete's actually got the shop up for sale. I'm contemplating trying to figure out how to find a way to buy it actually.
Old 12-01-08, 06:46 PM
the_drain

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU? More like LTFU.
Weight weenie.
Old 12-01-08, 06:52 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
I was going to post this in a new thread but I decided this thread was the place for it:
I understand that people were a bit aggressive in the other thread, some of it I agree with, some I don't. What I do think is a low shot however is this post the mod Brian just put in.
Weak, you know what's weak? Using your powers as a moderator to post a shot at another member in a thread you know he can't reply in because it's locked. The other thread was dead, had been locked for nearly a day, and is being discussed in this easy to find thread. Why put it there?
I exchanged PM's with Brian. He didn't know the thread was locked until after he had made the post - someone had sent him a link directly to my post, so he didn't click through the main forum.
Old 12-01-08, 06:59 PM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
I exchanged PM's with Brian. He didn't know the thread was locked until after he had made the post - someone had sent him a link directly to my post, so he didn't click through the main forum.
Agreeing with Bd......We can post in locked threads without ever realizing they were locked. He didn't try to get the last word in on purpose.
Old 12-01-08, 07:07 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C Law
+1

your reply (the second one I think??) in particular was right on the money and not derogatory in any way.

I just read that thread and can only assume the Mods cleaned up the bad stuff already?
I'm trying to remember and I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they locked it but didn't change anything.
Old 12-01-08, 07:09 PM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by umd
I'm trying to remember and I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they locked it but didn't change anything.
i don't think they "cleaned' anything either
Old 12-01-08, 07:09 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

I do enjoy the ball busting.
Old 12-01-08, 07:13 PM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are real problems in the world. This is pathetic.
Old 12-01-08, 07:17 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New sig?
Old 12-01-08, 07:35 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
I know recreational road cyclists, I know racers, I know ex-racers. The racers bust each other's balls and call each other names. But if there's a new guy in the group they either point them in the right direction (perhaps to a ride better suited to their ability) or give them some solid advise.

Guess you and pcad roll with a different sort of roadie group than some of the others here. Scaring off squirrly riders is one thing when you're in a group about to do a tight paceline at 25mph. Quite another when an obviously new rider (or a troll appearing as one) posts on an internet forum. They are not equal. If you want to bust someone's balls, choose the guy who's been on the forum for a few months. Not the guy who's post count is less than the number of spokes in your front wheel.
I think you read into that a little too far. I didn't read the other thread and was not a part of anything that happened.

In general I tend to welcome everyone on two wheels. Check the regional forum and the number of rides I've put on as proof.

....I still bust balls though. I just do it with a wink.

Old 12-01-08, 07:45 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I think you read into that a little too far. I didn't read the other thread and was not a part of anything that happened.

In general I tend to welcome everyone on two wheels. Check the regional forum and the number of rides I've put on as proof.

....I still bust balls though. I just do it with a wink.
You should go read the thread and then come back here and tell me what the BFD is.
Old 12-01-08, 07:47 PM
kwrides

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You should go read the thread and then come back here and tell me what the BFD is.
Careful, that kind of language could scare away a newb. Of course, so could the word newb.
Old 12-01-08, 08:08 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kwrides
Have you never played sports? Have you never been in a debate? Watched a television program or a movie? Read a book? Telling someone to fix their bars is honestly the WORST behavior you've ever seen in your life? REALLY? You need to get out more.
Mommy, I know I wanted to sign up for <insert team/school/branch of service/organization here>, but they're being mean to me and I WANNA COME HOME!!!!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-01-08, 08:14 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by MadeInItaly
There are real problems in the world. This is pathetic.
The real world is far too depressing. That's pathetic.
Old 12-01-08, 08:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11979 Post(s)
Liked 6,679 Times in 3,495 Posts
I'm trying to take all this seriously. God help me, I can't do it.
Sorry, I couldn't get past this post. I know there's 2 or 3 more pages beyond this . . . I'll catch up later.

Here's the point, PC, and I'm addressing you personally because like it or not you're one of the leaders around here.

It's not a problem when we regular seasoned vets lock horns with another seasoned vet. It's usually a relatively fair contest between individuals qualified to take it and give it back. Two equals have it out, feathers fly, and little harm is done. If the loser sulks off never to return, so be it . . . it's the law of the jungle, survival of the fittest, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen . . . this is no place for the weak and the wounded!!

But a guy comes in here, professes to be a new guy, his Join Date confirms he's a new guy, he asks for help and he gets beat up. Why? . . . because apparently his bike offends our sensibilities of what a road bike should be. But more than that, no, way more than that, there's this high school mentality that haunts this forum which somehow incites people to mob behavior. It's not enough that just one guy strikes a blow, the whole crowd has to join in to strike blows . . . usually on the new or the weak. Big brave road nazis, ganging up on a new guy for little apparent reason or justification other than he's new . . . a stranger walking into a bar in a strange neighborhood, to borrow an earlier analogy.

UMD got it right, it's piling on, and even in the real-man world of professional football it's considered contemptuous, punishable in a major way.

Here's the deal: if you wouldn't say something to a person face to face, you shouldn't say it to him on the internet. And if you wouldn't attack a guy one-on-one you shouldn't gang up on him in a mob. It's contemptuous . . . it's very lame, cowardly, and unmanly.

Now pcad, from what I've come to know of you in your time here, I find it hard to believe that you would advocate mob behavior toward the weak and the defenseless. HTFU has nothing to do with it . . . . it's just wrong to sucker punch somebody.
Old 12-01-08, 08:19 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Me too, it makes me feel like I am in the company of men again, like in the Corps, rather than in the company of the bland, thin-skinned, humorless, PC, corporate clonem wussies that seem to have infested the world.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-01-08, 08:19 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by BillyD
It's contemptuous . . . it's very lame, cowardly, and unmanly.
How is that different from my bicycle racing?

Sorry. Can't muster up the mojo to get upset about any of this. It's not happening. But you do sound upset enough for both of us, so that's something. I don't get off on busting newbies, but if somebody can't handle that, I doubt they're long for this sport regardless. Whether you like it or not, cycling does require the capacity to handle some adversity. And the adversity you encounter on the road with cars, weather and other myriad hazards far outweighs anything the morons on BF can ever throw your way with a ball busting post or two. I seriously doubt any discouraging word somebody hears on BF will make or break them as future cyclists.

Last edited by patentcad; 12-01-08 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 08:21 PM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The real world is far too depressing. That's pathetic.
It could always be worse.
Old 12-01-08, 08:22 PM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
Me too, it makes me feel like I am in the company of men again, like in the Corps, rather than in the company of the bland, thin-skinned, humorless, PC, corporate clonem wussies that seem to have infested the world.
It's a soft generation. Thats why we are in the shape we are in.
Old 12-01-08, 08:24 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still confused about how to become a real man.
I was hoping for a bit of guidance from this thread but instead I think I will have a sex change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.