Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Field sprint or go early?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 08:56 PM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

First crit is tomorrow for the season. A couple of road races this spring that went well. This is a race I can do very well at, non technical, fast, flat. Previous wins I have gone early and held on, though sometimes I go too early and can't hold the sprint off, and maybe I would have been better off with a field sprint. Good sprint power, and am confident in my power, but not in my positioning leading up to it. Mentally, would rather go for it and fail than be in the wrong position at the end and not compete for the win. Any advice? Cat 3.
Old 05-12-17, 09:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by denvertrout
First crit is tomorrow for the season. A couple of road races this spring that went well. This is a race I can do very well at, non technical, fast, flat. Previous wins I have gone early and held on, though sometimes I go too early and can't hold the sprint off, and maybe I would have been better off with a field sprint. Good sprint power, and am confident in my power, but not in my positioning leading up to it. Mentally, would rather go for it and fail than be in the wrong position at the end and not compete for the win. Any advice? Cat 3.
I think you answered your own question.
Old 05-12-17, 09:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
It's a question of knowing your own speed and endurance capabilities picking the right moment.

However, winning by going off the front is easier when you're new. The other riders figure you won't hold out, so they don't chase until it's too late. But with some wins, more riders have a sense of who you are, so they don't let you go, or chase sooner and harder. That means that you're window will close earlier and the only to break away and win that way is to do it sooner, which makes the tactic harder.

At some point, you'll have to transition to winning with field sprints, and reserving the breakaways for when opportunities present themselves

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-12-17, 10:21 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Try to sprint for the last corner instead of the finish line, that worked for me when I was worried about positioning before.
Old 05-13-17, 09:59 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Use that breakaway power to put yourself into position for the sprint. That's just a skill that you absolutely have to develop if you want to be competitive across a wide swath of races and now is the perfect time to do so.

It took me a long time to figure out that I was more than capable of sitting out in the wind in order to ensure I had a decent position for the sprint. My first ever cat 3 win I just said "whatever" and rode straight to the front with one lap to go and just rode steady there. One guy came around trying to attack early halfway through and I jumped on his wheel and then came around in the sprint.

Mentally that made a huge difference knowing you don't have to "hide" in a complete draft. Position is just so much more important. Now if necessary I'll even sit straight on in the wind side by side someone in the leadout to ensure I'm exactly where I want to be when the sprint starts.

If you have that power to ride away anyway, AND a sprint to match, you should have the ability to podium every race you do. You just have to practice putting it all together.
Old 05-13-17, 10:13 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, a kind of silly question turned into a kind of interesting conversation. This is a great point:

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Use that breakaway power to put yourself into position for the sprint. That's just a skill that you absolutely have to develop
Looking at power after the fact, for me the hardest effort of the race is often with about 2 minutes to go. Because if you're in the right place with 1 minute to go you have an opportunity to do well, and if you are in the wrong place with 1 minute to go your race is over.

What's interesting, and I'm not sure how universal this is, is that those hard at-the-bell efforts to get in position almost never feel hard at the time. I've heard it called one-lap fever (or five-lap fever but I never understood that because 5 laps is forever). I'll look at the power afterwards and see a >1000w full sprint type effort to get position at the bell that I can't even really remember making.
Old 05-14-17, 09:04 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, just to followup on the race. Overall was not that hard. A couple of small breaks, nothing major nothing threatening. Got caught in a crash with 5 laps to go, off the bike, around the guy on the ground and then chased and able to get back on the group. 1 1/2 laps to go (mile lap), a buddy goes and the pack chases. I am 6th back, feeling good, good position. We catch the guy who jumped, but who is now flailing, with the first guy just sitting on his wheel and not going around him, carp, now we get stuck behind him as the group moves around on the outside, while I am stuck inside. Finally get around him, and now there are 30 guys in front of me with 500 meters to go. Move up on the inside, but now I am on the outside for the final 2 turns to the 100 meter sprint finish. Squeezed and have to brake hard on both turns, able to pass a bunch on the sprint and get into the top 10. Positioning, positioning, positioning- I need to learn to be more aggressive.
Old 05-14-17, 02:16 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by globecanvas
What's interesting, and I'm not sure how universal this is, is that those hard at-the-bell efforts to get in position almost never feel hard at the time. I've heard it called one-lap fever (or five-lap fever but I never understood that because 5 laps is forever). I'll look at the power afterwards and see a >1000w full sprint type effort to get position at the bell that I can't even really remember making.
Absolutely. I'll sometimes have 2-3 "sprints" to get into position before the actual sprint. 'Cause you can't sprint from the back!
Old 05-14-17, 02:17 PM
rubiksoval

Well, just to followup on the race. Overall was not that hard. A couple of small breaks, nothing major nothing threatening. Got caught in a crash with 5 laps to go, off the bike, around the guy on the ground and then chased and able to get back on the group. 1 1/2 laps to go (mile lap), a buddy goes and the pack chases. I am 6th back, feeling good, good position. We catch the guy who jumped, but who is now flailing, with the first guy just sitting on his wheel and not going around him, carp, now we get stuck behind him as the group moves around on the outside, while I am stuck inside. Finally get around him, and now there are 30 guys in front of me with 500 meters to go. Move up on the inside, but now I am on the outside for the final 2 turns to the 100 meter sprint finish. Squeezed and have to brake hard on both turns, able to pass a bunch on the sprint and get into the top 10. Positioning, positioning, positioning- I need to learn to be more aggressive.
Solid work! Sounds like all sorts of chaos and craziness so to get through that all and still come out with a top 10 is a testament to some serious fitness.

Keep having a go and putting it into practice and the results will come.

And yes, positioning is what it's all about and it's something you've always gotta be thinking about and moving towards. If you're not moving forward in the finale, you're moving backwards! Try not to get yourself trapped and be prepared to surf the surge.

Nice job.
Old 05-15-17, 04:31 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Any advice? Cat 3.