Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is a spacer required for freehub body install?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 05:38 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts

I'm upgrading a 559 mtb rear wheel from 7s to 8s. This involves swapping for a taller freehub body.

Usually this is straightforward, but the wheel was really spoked for 7s only. When I put a 8s freehub+cassette on it, the #8 cog is so pushed out that the chain is almost touching the right dropout, with less than 0.5mm to spare. This appears to work but just bugs me because I have never seen such tight clearance.

If I remove the spacer for the freehub body, that will pull everything more towards the center, then the chain on the #8 will be a good ~2mm from the right dropout. Where the freehub body meets the wheel, it's flushed flat, so all the spacer really does is just jut out the freehub body.

Is that spacer required for a freehub body to work properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
freehub-body.jpg (76.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-24-24, 02:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,629 Posts
Two things to consider, then use your judgement.

Is the spacer necessary for the freehub to clear and not rub on the shell?
Would moving the cassette more inboard bring the RD too close to the spokes in low gear?

FWIW- the chain is reliable and will not magically move over and rub if it clears, even if only by 0.5mm, so I wouldn't fret over it. To be sure, shift to high and use a pry to push the chain outward as far as it will go on the sprocket, to confirm that it cannot ever rub on the frame.

Or, after answering both questions, consider mounting the freehub without the spacer, then use a thinner spacer behind the cassette to improve spoke clearance, but stay clear for the dropout by 1mm or so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-24-24, 03:04 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
If I remove the spacer for the freehub body, that will pull everything more towards the center, then the chain on the #8 will be a good ~2mm from the right dropout. Where the freehub body meets the wheel, it's flushed flat, so all the spacer really does is just jut out the freehub body.
Moving the freehub effectively moves the dropout too, so you don't gain any clearance.
Old 05-24-24, 03:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by grumpus
Moving the freehub effectively moves the dropout too, so you don't gain any clearance.
Yes and no, but raises an interesting point.

The axle spacing is semi independent of the freehub, and managed with spacers to control OLD and offset of the freehub and shell. Your point is well taken, because removing the spacer behind the freehub will require an equivalent axle spacer to maintain OLD and dish.

What's interesting is that if there's a thin spacer on the left end, the OP might simply move it to the right side, solving his problem. Of course this will change the dish slightly, but not enough to fret over.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-24-24 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 03:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 412 Posts
Why not simply put a 0.5mm spacer between the drive side cone and locknut?
Old 05-24-24, 03:35 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts
I've already done this. I just don't know if it's legal.

When I got the freehub body towards the dish, I made up for it by adding axle spacer for the right dropout.

All other proposed workarounds do not work.

Simply removing an axle spacer from the left dropout (and stacking it on the right dropout) will also displace the dish. I'm very OCD about this and a 2mm off-dish is huge.

Simply adding axle spacers on the right dropout starts to widen out the stays, and that in turn also plays with the dish.
Old 05-24-24, 03:52 PM
FBinNY 

When I got the freehub body towards the dish, I made up for it by adding axle spacer for the right dropout.

Simply removing an axle spacer from the left dropout (and stacking it on the right dropout) will also displace the dish. I'm very OCD about this and a 2mm off-dish is huge.

Simply adding axle spacers on the right dropout starts to widen out the stays, and that in turn also plays with the dish.
Legal? The hub police won't be knocking your door anytime soon.

But it does depend on how OCD you are.

A 2mm change is much more than you need, so replacing it with two 1mm spacers on either side will move the shell 1mm to the left.

An added 0.5mm spacer on the right changes dish by only 0.25mm, and that's also too little to fret over the OLD difference.

So, you need to prioritize your goals; textbook perfect, spoke clearance, dish, OLD, etc, and proceed accordingly.

Me? I'd leave it as is and go riding.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-24-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-24-24, 07:15 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 254 Posts

FWIW, the attached shows the 'standard' spec for the measurement between the right side locknut and the 'backstop' of the splines (where the cassette stops). SRAM shows 40.6mm +/- (bottom left in diagram), Shimano's nominal measurement is 40.75mm, both for 8/9/10 speed freehub bodies. You can go a little shorter but run the issues of chain clearance with the dropout, or sometimes the seatstay (depending on frame & outermost sprocket teeth count.

Likes For KCT1986:
Old 05-24-24, 07:25 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
If I was playing around with all this spacing, I'd be happy with the minimum reliable clearance between small cog and dropout, likewise between large cog and spokes. The standard arrangement has plenty of excess, which you can trim away to buy room to reduce dish.

There's so much excess in fact, that I have a 10s wheel on which I replaced the 10s freehub body with a 7s one, paired with a billet cassette, the back of which was machined to fit on the shorter 7s splines. While I was at it, I added 2mm to the OLD. All to minimise dish. Gap between RD cage and spokes in first gear is minimal but adequate; 3mm or so

Re-dishing a wheel isn't hard.
Old 05-25-24, 06:07 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 389 Posts

Set up the hub to work with the gears, when you're done with that dish the wheel to suit - setting the hub spacing to suit the wheel dish seems like the tail wagging the dog. What are you even trying to do?
Likes For grumpus: