Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Helmet for Big Noggins?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 10:14 PM
noquarter1

Bikes: 1986 Cilo Sport 105, 2012 Scott CR1 Pro, 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er, 2022 Tern GSD, 2022 Tern HSD, Takara Competition, Diamondback Arrival, Benotto Cortina 21...I have a problem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 33 Posts

Hey All,

Wondering if there's any fellow riders with big heads...like, an orange on a toothpick big. I'm an XXXL hat size, or 8+. After visiting several LBS, I've only found one helmet which fit, a mountain bike helmet, the Giro Source MIPS in XL. I was unable to find a road helmet which fit. Wondering if anyone else has a similar problem and found a brand/model which worked for them. I can always continue to use the one I have, but it's designed to sit low on the brow which presents a problem when in the drops and visibility up ahead is obscured.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-23, 03:25 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
I have such a giant head that (a) I do not know where to find a hat that fits and (b) I recently bought POC Elicit "oversize" shades which look only slightly wider on my face.

That said, I have had good luck with Kask Mojito XL (long discontinued) and Laser Sphere MIPS XL, which are more designed for rounder heads: Sphere MIPS Road Cycling Helmet | Lazer Sport Helmets

Amazingly, my oldest Giro Savant XL was slightly too long for my head. So it's not just circumference, but also shape.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 08-28-23 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-24-23, 11:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
The only road style helmets I have found to fit are certain Giro models. I have a Giro Savant and had several other Giro models over the years.
Old 08-24-23, 11:38 AM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I wear a size 8 hat and have a longish head. Giro XL is what works for me.
Old 08-25-23, 07:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
I like my Bontrager Quantum Mips from Trek Store, it is a 66cm circumference. If you wear a size 8 hat you are like only 64cm circumference. Also look for Cratoni and Bell which can go up to 65cm.
Old 08-28-23, 09:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I have a giant square head. The best-fitting helmet for me would be one made from one of those square plastic milk crates.
Old 08-28-23, 07:25 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Giro Syntax XL, have two of them. Next year might be time to pick up a new helmet, as the older one was purchased in 2017 or 2018. Will be curious to try on a Lazer Sphere, definitely heard good things from other melon heads.
Old 08-28-23, 09:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Giro Syntax XL, have two of them. Next year might be time to pick up a new helmet, as the older one was purchased in 2017 or 2018. Will be curious to try on a Lazer Sphere, definitely heard good things from other melon heads.
I am the opposite: I have the Lazer Sphere MIPS already but am curious about the Giro Syntax XL, which I understand replaces the Giro Savant XL. I wonder how the two Giro helmets compare in terms of size and fit.
Old 08-29-23, 06:35 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 378 Posts
7 5/8 ths here. Currently wear a Suomy Glider L/XL. Fits my round head well; I can even wear a thin cycling cap under it.

They're not well known in the bicycle world; I know them from motorcycles. They have sizing up to XXL

Last edited by john m flores; 09-01-23 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-01-23, 08:00 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ditto Giro. I wear a size 8 hat and the only bike helmet that fits me are Giro XL.