Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you Feel old?
No, I still feel middle aged
45.63%
I feel younger than I look
29.13%
Yes, I definitely feel my age
20.39%
I feel older than my chronological age
7.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 06:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Hard to do this poll. "Younger than I look" might be closest... but there are a few others who look really younger than I. Biggest issue is when I look in the mirror, I do look old - But NOT AS OLD as when I see photos of myself. Without 'seeing' me in some reflection; mentally I feel my 'very young' self - sortta like one expects 'Older Adults' to step into the room... LOL!
I do notice that I'm not as limber (even though it's a regular focus for me) nor as strong (also a focus) nor as long lasting as was my younger self.
SInce I've never been this age before (74) I'm not sure what to expect. I see others in my age group, and that scares me - so I work harder to train the body towards where it once was.
Given all the health things I've experienced recently, I guess I'm happy with my current status - 'alive'.... LOL!
I don;t expect me to be my very much younger self; but not meeting where I was 15 yrs ago is a bit perturbing. But I'm no longer driven by a competitive impulse, and some reasonable acceptance makes for a much happier day. But I do persist... especially since all I like and do requires a strong amount of effort.
I'm not ready for shuffleboard. LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: Posture ! The one thing which really irks me... I catch myself too often slumping into an 'Old Man's Carriage/posture'. Then I slap myself upside my head and push everything back up and into good posture. happens much too often for my liking...
also piqued by another user's comment about 'Learning'. I think of myself as a student, always wanting to learn, in everything - I think that keeps me thinking and feeling 'young'.

Last edited by cyclezen; 12-29-23 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 12-29-23, 06:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
The face of a 69 YO. Not too scary - yet!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-29-23, 06:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Looking good Bob. You could pass for at least a decade younger and probably more.
Old 12-29-23, 08:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I think you'd lose that bet.

Here's why. The Masters record for the One Hour Time Trial at ages 55-59 is 49km387. Do you honestly think you can get an untrained 25 year old fit enough to average over 30 mph for an hour on an indoor track with just three months of training? Good luck with that. BTW, in the 50-54 category the record is 51km013. That record bests all the records in Masters from aged 30 on up. For reference, the Elite record is 53.037 km. As a further reference, the best Juniors distance (17-18 years) is 50km792.

The 90 - 94 age record is 34km498. That's an average over 21 mph - for an hour. Perhaps an untrained 25 year old could get to that standard with 3 months of training. But it would have to be the right 25 year old. I'd bet that on average, the 25 year old would fail.

There is no doubt that peak performance declines with age. If you look at that records page in the Masters categories this is obvious. But any individual's decline will depend a lot on what their best peak ever was. And I bet a lot of people here (like me) started at moderate levels. So the decline may not be obvious or even actual - depending on how they trained and are now training. Further, even among elite athletes the falloff isn't dramatic - if they continue to train at high levels. It is enough to take them out of elite competition though. Because even small differences mean an awfully lot there.
https://usacycling.org/resources/nat...tional-records

Getting back to the poll and original question, the answer will vary wildly depending on the individual. And as I said before, it is also a subjective question.
I know 2 50+ cat1 racers who would drop most younger guys except for the very elite. These are exceptional men, but the point is age isn't the only factor.

Just look at some of the master's class races. Some tend to be faster than the younger guys.
Old 12-29-23, 09:21 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I know 2 50+ cat1 racers who would drop most younger guys except for the very elite. These are exceptional men, but the point is age isn't the only factor.

Just look at some of the master's class races. Some tend to be faster than the younger guys.
Yeah. For the last few years I go to St. George and compete in the Huntsman Senior Games Table Tennis events. My wife loves it so I have a good time too. The cycling events overlap with Table Tennis schedule. So given that I started back cycling, I thought maybe I could ride some cycling events while I'm there. Maybe a time trial? So I looked at some of the times. Maybe not.
Old 12-29-23, 09:35 PM
big john

Yeah. For the last few years I go to St. George and compete in the Huntsman Senior Games Table Tennis events. My wife loves it so I have a good time too. The cycling events overlap with Table Tennis schedule. So given that I started back cycling, I thought maybe I could ride some cycling events while I'm there. Maybe a time trial? So I looked at some of the times. Maybe not.
A forum member won a couple of his races this year. Sounded like he had a great time. Said an 80+ rider got 3 golds but I don't know how big his field was.
Old 12-29-23, 10:13 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Originally Posted by big john
A forum member won a couple of his races this year. Sounded like he had a great time. Said an 80+ rider got 3 golds but I don't know how big his field was.
Big enough so that I know I wouldn't be in the medals. Huntsman generally draws a big crowd. But how strong the field is varies a lot between different sports. Do a search and you can find past results and probably get an idea.
Old 12-29-23, 10:21 PM
big john

Big enough so that I know I wouldn't be in the medals. Huntsman generally draws a big crowd. But how strong the field is varies a lot between different sports. Do a search and you can find past results and probably get an idea.
A couple guys from one of the clubs I ride with like to go there. One has been 6 times and the other 4.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-29-23, 10:26 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

related story / personality

Harry Kirsch - ‘Hot Harry’

Harry was a fixture at a nearby county park parking area where we often started and ended our bike rides

a granite stone with a bronze plaque was placed at the parking area to honor him (picture above)

Harry ran his first marathon at age 58 - completed 50 marathons by age 80

he received a ‘Golden Shoe’ award from Runner’s World magazine

https://www.mcdonald-aeberli.com/obituary/Harry-Kirsch

Last edited by t2p; 12-29-23 at 10:33 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-29-23, 10:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

The only time I really feel my age, is when I am forced to take a rest day.

Old 12-30-23, 07:06 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
How old do I feel? My inner child grew up!
Old 12-30-23, 08:42 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
During a ride yesterday my wife said something related to this thread's topic. When we met, 44 years ago, I was on the college rugby team. She apparently thinks I can still do that!
Old 12-30-23, 09:07 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
How I feel..

How I look

Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-30-23, 10:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Non-humble brag. Last summer I rode around Mercer Island (10.5 miles, 500’ gain with lots of S curves) at an average of 18.5 MPH at an average 195 Watts. I was chasing a stronger fellow at 20/21 MPH, but not gaining, when I came across another guy (probably in his 40s) going barely slower than me who decided to join the chase. After about 10 minutes he looked over and said, “Man you are strong”. It was high praise.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-30-23, 11:29 AM
jadmt

Anyone old guys interested in attempting a 5 hour century this late spring or early summer? I know two decent routes where it really should be doable...the first I posted above in post #58 that I did solo on a clunker and then the one below on my newer bike solo. the bottom one I kind of bonked as I did not pack enough carbs...could be called the "beer drinking 100"

Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-01-24, 04:14 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Chronologically still feeling pretty strong, but admit that I'm getting slower and weaker.
Mentally I feel stronger than ever.
But emotionally I haven't progressed past my mid 20s.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-02-24, 05:40 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Up until a few days ago I felt pretty good about by mental (45? 38? vs. chronological (74-3/4) age.

Getting diagnosed with an RSV infection today I have more ammunition about why I's suddenly felt pretty crummy since last Friday.

Here I'd been thinking it was maybe the weather or short daylight (or both) but it's not.

You might think it's just a cold, but it s'not.
Old 01-02-24, 06:33 PM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by spclark

You might think it's just a cold, but it s'not.
Some people think its funny,
when your nose is wet and runny.
But it s'not.
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 01-02-24, 06:59 PM
jadmt

Some people think its funny,
when your nose is wet and runny.
But it s'not.
or is that a diamond in your nose....no it s'not......never gets old.....
Old 01-02-24, 08:32 PM
Jay Turberville

Originally Posted by jadmt
or is that a diamond in your nose....no it s'not......never gets old.....
It amuses me ... but annoys my wife.
Old 01-03-24, 07:54 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Several mentions of arthritis in this thread so I thought to post a reply to Old Guy8 question on arthritis:
Diclofenac Sodium 1% gel keeps me moving. Rheumatoid was more of a nuisance to me until my 70s when Osteoarthritis came to town and would shut me down. When I follow the directions exactly (application size, four times a day, etc.) and importantly start when I first notice it coming on it has worked very well. We are snowbird and up at the cabin it can be hard to find Voltaren but I have learned all of the generic diclofenac sodium 1% gels work just as well. If you don't catch it early it can take days to have an affect. Hope it works for you as well.
Old 01-03-24, 08:50 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Several mentions of arthritis in this thread so I thought to post a reply to Old Guy8 question on arthritis:
Diclofenac Sodium 1% gel keeps me moving. Rheumatoid was more of a nuisance to me until my 70s when Osteoarthritis came to town and would shut me down. When I follow the directions exactly (application size, four times a day, etc.) and importantly start when I first notice it coming on it has worked very well. We are snowbird and up at the cabin it can be hard to find Voltaren but I have learned all of the generic diclofenac sodium 1% gels work just as well. If you don't catch it early it can take days to have an affect. Hope it works for you as well.
I received a terrible rash after using valtran. Took weeks to go away.
Old 01-03-24, 11:12 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis and I’ve had it for over 20 years. I’m on Sulindac and Imuran and it’s working great for me. I’m also on high blood pressure drugs and that is pretty much in check. My wife has a lot of problems as well. I have to take care of her as well. I still try to get out and do a short ride of 20 or 25 miles 3 times a week.

Im 83 years old and I started riding when I had these problems, just to be doing something. I wish I started riding a lot younger, but I had other things to do. That was sailing and motorcycling. I still miss doing that as well.
Old man time is bear.
Old 01-03-24, 11:29 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Free advice: Don't take a month off, if you can help it. Or else, when you start back up, if you are like me, you will definitely feel older.

Oops!
Old 01-03-24, 11:41 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Free advice: Don't take a month off, if you can help it. Or else, when you start back up, if you are like me, you will definitely feel older.

Oops!
It only took me 2 days of not riding to begin feeling stiff in the morning when I climbed out of bed. Poor diet and inactivity don't take long to do their nasty on a body. Just turned 75.
If I can't make time for a day ride or the trainer, I will do a night ride, which is less strenuous but so much more exciting.
Likes For SpedFast:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.