Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What tubeless presta valves for Bontrager wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 09:29 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I wonder if all tubeless presta valves (eg. mucoff, stan, etc...) should work on TLR Bontrager wheels. Or I need to but specific valves.
Old 09-07-21, 09:32 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also, what valve size should I get for wheels that are 44mm deep.
60 mm should do or I need 80mm?
Old 09-08-21, 06:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I prefer the ones with cone-shaped gaskets at the bottom of the stem, which is the majority on the market. I also prefer the ones with enough internal diameter to pass a sealant syringe "needle" all the way through the stem, so that you can add "and* remove sealant without breaking the bead. I've been getting the Muc-Off aluminum stems, but others may fill the bill, too.
Old 09-08-21, 07:51 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
60mm stem should be long enough for 44mm rims. You can use 80 if you like them a bit long, but it’s not necessary. I take that back. Just did a little math, and you might not be able to get a pump on the 60mm.

I’d definitely recommend Bontrager stems. I set up my wife’s Bontrager TLR rims with their stems, and it was the easiest tubeless setup I’ve done. In an HED rim I wanted to make tubeless, I first tried a WTB stem and did not get good results. Switched to Bontrager stem, and it’s great.
Old 09-08-21, 09:01 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
If you are going to stick with the Bontrager tubeless rim strips, I'd use their valves, because the shape is designed to work with the strips. If not, any cone shaped one will work. I recommend ditching the rim strips and using normal tubeless tape like DT Swiss and then using a cone shaped valve of your choosing. I like the Muc Off ones but they all work pretty well...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 09-08-21, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
If you are going to stick with the Bontrager tubeless rim strips, I'd use their valves, because the shape is designed to work with the strips. If not, any cone shaped one will work. I recommend ditching the rim strips and using normal tubeless tape like DT Swiss and then using a cone shaped valve of your choosing. I like the Muc Off ones but they all work pretty well...
DT Swiss tape is the best I've used. Just enough stretch to make it easy to install cleanly, as opposed to Stan's and the like, which is more prone to wrinkling and not laying flat across the entire rim bed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-08-21, 02:20 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I think the bontrager valves are shaped to conform to their rims so I'd go with those.
Old 09-08-21, 02:24 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I think the bontrager valves are shaped to conform to their rims so I'd go with those.
Exactly. Bontrager rim, Bontrager strip, Bontrager stem = best chance of happy results.

I’ve mixed/matched stuff for tubeless setup and sometimes had good luck, but other times wasted money and effort, only to start over again
Old 09-08-21, 03:56 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
They are shaped to conform to their tubeless rim strips. Like I said though, I feel like their rim strips are way more of a hassle than they are worth. Regular tubeless rim tape is much easier to deal with in my opinion. I have probably changed 100 of tires with the Bontrager tubeless strips at this point and I still hate them...
Old 09-08-21, 03:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
Also, what valve size should I get for wheels that are 44mm deep.
60 mm should do or I need 80mm?
I got some of these and they work perfectly with 37 to 50 mm depth. I also have the rim strips and there are no issues with these valves. You can also mix and match colors.

https://holdfastcycling.com/product/...valve-builder/