Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Cervelo P2 OR Specialized Transition OR ???

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 03:59 AM
bas2205

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there, I need some help and opinions...
I am looking at new tri frames right now. Besides looks and likes, the biggest criteria is obviously bike fit.

This is where it gets tricky: I am really tall (204cm), to the point where any frame that's regularly available cannot be to big for me.

Idea 1: Cervelo P2 (61cm, red&silver)

Doesn't really matter where you look, the thing gets good reviews. What convinced me was the article at bikesportmichigan.com
. Apparently the frame allows for a lot of positions, is really aero and relatively cheap.
But: From what I read on here and on slowtwitch, everybody is riding it and my bike would be far from unique (can anybody confirm this? I've never raced in the US and in Europe they aren't that common...).
Secondly, the bike is relatively long and would add another 2cm to my cockpit length.

Idea 2: Specialized Transition (XL, blac&yellow)

Looks like a sleek bike, I am not really sure about the compact size though. I would at least need the 40cm seat post and even with that I would barely make it fit. On the other hand, the cockpit length would still be the same as on my current bike. How much does the frame weigh? Also, unless I go for last years model, the frame is a bit more expensive than the P2.

Idea 3: your ideas, input appreciated!
I need a relatively big frame, or at least one that will come with a big enough seat post, somewhat aero, carbon, $2.5k max and a steap seat tube angle.

Besides triathlons, I also want to do road TTs on the bike. Do I need to worry about UCI regulations in USAC races?

My current setup:
Frame size (road): 65cm
Cranks: 180mm
Saddle height from BB: 86cm
Stem: 135mm
Aero bars: 320mm
For those of you not so quick with trig, my cockpit length is 88cm, which means I am at least 8cm over the UCI legal limits including the morph.exception.
Old 02-17-09, 06:13 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, personally I just can't see the Specialized fitting if the Cervelo fits and vice versa. As you pointed out the Cervelo offers you 2cm more top tube at any given seat angle.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at a Felt, Jamis, or Kuota which all have a reach over 45 in their largest size. This is definitely a case where you need to find a good fitter. $3000 is a lot of money to spend, and you aren't a cookie cutter fit.
Old 03-15-09, 05:57 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say try them out if you can. I also heard that people usually size down for a tri bike unless it's Cervelo.
Old 03-15-09, 08:57 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sirious94
I'd say try them out if you can. I also heard that people usually size down for a tri bike unless it's Cervelo.
Some Cervelo riders do. 56cm road bikes, 52 cm Cervelo Alloy P3.

As triguys suggests with this purchase, a good bike fitter with Triathlon experience will save you alot of grief later...