Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is crossing cables underneath bike ok?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 09:45 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

Just picked up my new built Specialized Allez Sprint from local LBS for cable work. The cable crossing looks shoddy to me. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9202.jpg (94.4 KB, 255 views)
Old 02-25-17, 09:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that you're looking at the wrong end. How does the cable routing look at the head tube? I'll often cross the cables under the down tube to get a smoother curve to the cable routing at the top. Looks and works better for some bikes but not for others.
Old 02-25-17, 10:05 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think that you're looking at the wrong end. How does the cable routing look at the head tube? I'll often cross the cables under the down tube to get a smoother curve to the cable routing at the top. Looks and works better for some bikes but not for others.
This is the head tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9204.jpg (99.7 KB, 243 views)
Old 02-25-17, 10:32 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If they didn't cross the cables under the bike the cables would have had to make a much sharper turn at the front which would have affected both the function and aesthetics; I think they did the right thing.
Old 02-25-17, 12:38 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Not at all uncommon to cross cables underneath to achieve better, smoother routing from the bars.
Old 02-25-17, 02:28 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
all good. go ride--
Old 02-25-17, 05:06 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
On almost all bikes the cables should never have to cross.

Left shifter/brake cable stays on the non-drive side of the bike and right shifter/brake cable stays on the drive side of the bike.

Crossed cables is often a sign that someone didn't take the time to size the housings properly. It is an iterative process which most people are not willing to spend the time on.

Routed properly the cables can take a tighter radius without binding than most people think.

-Tim-
Old 02-25-17, 05:14 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is nothing wrong with crossing the cables , as other said it look better and perform better .
Old 02-25-17, 05:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Some brifters have cable exits that make it difficult to avoid crossing without impinging on free movement of the cable. If it comes to a choice between aesthetically pleasing uncrossed cables and poor shifting versus crossed cables and decent shifting, I know what my choice would be.
Old 02-25-17, 06:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts

Left shifter/brake cable stays on the non-drive side of the bike and right shifter/brake cable stays on the drive side of the bike.

Crossed cables is often a sign that someone didn't take the time to size the housings properly. It is an iterative process which most people are not willing to spend the time on.

Routed properly the cables can take a tighter radius without binding than most people think.

-Tim-
Cables don't have to cross, but they work better with a wider radius. Binding is an extreme, tighter radius increases friction. Why paralell is better than crossed?
Old 02-25-17, 07:35 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I think bikes look better when the cables don't cross but thats just me.

Again, most people don't realize how tight a radius the cables can have before binding. Internal handlebar routing is a perfect example of very tight radius without binding.

Most binding and causing the brakes to grab is caused by housing cut too short anyway, and has little to do with how the cable curves.

Electronic renders the whole topic moot.
Old 02-26-17, 03:29 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I reckon crossing is a bad idea, because when the cable goes around the head tube, sure, it was a wider radius - but a), turning the bars has more of an adverse effect on the housings, and b), you're using more housing and cable than necessary to get the job done, putting more friction back into the equation.

IME cables are much happier staying on their own side of the bike. It's neater and works better, IMO.

On the bike in the OP it looks like the cables should cross inside the downtube to create a straighter path, but they don't. Perhaps it wasn't designed to allow a gap between the cables if they're crossed in there.

Or perhaps the standard routing is just suboptimal, which is not uncommon these days; lots of makers going with the silly around the head tube idea.

Last edited by Kimmo; 02-26-17 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-26-17, 04:08 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Some brifters have cable exits that make it difficult to avoid crossing without impinging on free movement of the cable. If it comes to a choice between aesthetically pleasing uncrossed cables and poor shifting versus crossed cables and decent shifting, I know what my choice would be.
Just common sense and the bike shop's mechanic must agree.

Brad
Old 02-26-17, 11:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Just common sense and the bike shop's mechanic must agree.

Brad

Very well said with minimal number of words. !

I recently reassembled our tandem (after a paint job with braze on changes. See this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...-comotion.html I chose the shift cable casing paths at the bars for the least tight curves (and steering influence), ran the cables parallel down the down tube then had then cross back along the boob tube so to enter the rear Bb shell guide tunnels cleanly and on the proper sides. Andy.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 02-26-17, 01:31 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Very well said with minimal number of words. !

I recently reassembled our tandem (after a paint job with braze on changes. See this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...-comotion.html I chose the shift cable casing paths at the bars for the least tight curves (and steering influence), ran the cables parallel down the down tube then had then cross back along the boob tube so to enter the rear Bb shell guide tunnels cleanly and on the proper sides. Andy.
Only a tandem guy would understand that! 😂
Likes For Davet:
Old 02-26-17, 07:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts

-Tim-
Every bike I have set up with areo-style brake cables has run with a smoother bend running the rear brake cable around the headtube. (I still have to spend the time to get the housing length right so I have little loop to catch with my left knee but still enough that the right HB hitting the toptube won't kink it at the headtube. It's not about saving time, its about having a better set up bike.)

Ben
Old 02-27-17, 03:29 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Folks talking about smooth bends seem like they don't realise that even though tight bends cause friction and sponginess, so do long bends.

So it's gonna be close to same difference, depending on how much you can shorten the housing without tightening the bend too much.

And here's the thing: if you watch what happens to a cable that goes around the head tube as you turn the bars each way, on the side the bend tightens, it becomes a horseshoe shape. Turn the other way, and it goes more like an Ohm symbol: Ω

A cable that doesn't cross the head tube behaves the first way but not the second, instead straightening out and gently wrapping around the head tube instead of doing nasty little kinks at each end.

If there's a way to use less metal to do the job better, I'll take it every time.

Oh yeah - everybody's using die-drawn cables, right?

They may fatigue quicker, but not only do they dramatically cut down friction, the housing liners last better.

Last edited by Kimmo; 02-27-17 at 03:33 AM.