Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Uh oh! Noise from cassette/freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 10:50 AM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, video explains it all. There is a LOUD clunk clunk noise from hub when coasting.. I can feel it throughout the whole bike too. Time to replace? Or can it be fixed?

Also, if replacing: I kind of want to upgrade to a wider rim for wider tires, would buying the whole setup be cheaper, or would buying them separate and lacing it all together myself be cheaper?

Seems to only make the noise really bad at a specific spot, so like rotating the crankarms changes how loud the clunk is.

Thanks.

VID:
Old 12-11-19, 11:07 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Sounds like a bearing noise, possibly a cracked race/cone in the freehub body? If so and if the parts are available replacing just the FH body could be done. But not knowing the details it's impossible for us to say much specific about repair possibility and/or cost. Cheap "basic/repair grade" wheels can be as little as $50 and high end "component" wheels can cost many $100. Buying the hub and reusing the spokes might be doable but that's a lot of cost/work to retain all the wear that the spokes and rim already have. Generally a pre made wheel will cost close to that of the separate parts, before lacing labor is figured in. Andy
Old 12-11-19, 11:56 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Maybe a bearing cone, but what about a pawl that came loose? Pretty easy to pull the cogs and check. Until then, premature to say "go ahead and buy a new wheel!".

Suggest that this is a ready, aim fire situation rather than a ready fire aim one.
Old 12-11-19, 12:13 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Most likely a bad bearing. I would search the internet for instructions on how to remove the bearings. As you get to the bearings you will identify any other cause. If it is a bearing, I would replace both. The cost for this repair is a fraction of buying a wheel.
Old 12-11-19, 12:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Is the noise there only when coasting or also when pedaling? If only when coasting, the problem is most likely in the freehub body. If both then it's probably a wheel bearing.

If you want a different rim, then buying a premade wheel is probably the better choice.
Old 12-11-19, 12:42 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Is the noise there only when coasting or also when pedaling? If only when coasting, the problem is most likely in the freehub body. If both then it's probably a wheel bearing.

If you want a different rim, then buying a premade wheel is probably the better choice.
It's definitely only there during coasting. Any other time it's fine. It's also weird that it's only at a specific spot. So like spinning the crank changes the the loudness of the clunk.

I'll have to see if LBS has a cassette lock ring tool, only tool I don't have 😔 then I can pull it apart and dive in.

Would you guys recommend not riding till it's fixed? Can I at least commute short distances?
Old 12-11-19, 01:00 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
It's definitely only there during coasting. Any other time it's fine. It's also weird that it's only at a specific spot. So like spinning the crank changes the the loudness of the clunk.

I'll have to see if LBS has a cassette lock ring tool, only tool I don't have 😔 then I can pull it apart and dive in.

Would you guys recommend not riding till it's fixed? Can I at least commute short distances?
First thing I would do would be to take the wheel off the bike and spin the cassette backward by hand to see if you can feel where the freehub is catching. If this gets worse, the freehub could possibly lock up and you would not be able to coast and the derailleur could be sucked into the cogs and all heck could break out, so riding the bike could be a crapshoot.. Referring back to your original post, wider tires do not necessarily require wider rims, within reason of course. Often, frame/fork clearance is the limiting factor when it comes to wider tires
Old 12-11-19, 03:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd also check and make sure it's not the bottom bracket. I'd substitute a spare wheel if I had one and see if the noise goes away.

Cheers
Old 12-11-19, 04:39 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Definitely sounds like a hub gremlin.🤔

Be careful they can get nasty.😉
Old 12-11-19, 06:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
First thing I would do would be to take the wheel off the bike and spin the cassette backward by hand ...........
With the wheel removed, you can also check for a broken axle or bad axle bearings.
Old 12-12-19, 03:00 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcjphil
First thing I would do would be to take the wheel off the bike and spin the cassette backward by hand to see if you can feel where the freehub is catching. If this gets worse, the freehub could possibly lock up and you would not be able to coast and the derailleur could be sucked into the cogs and all heck could break out, so riding the bike could be a crapshoot.. Referring back to your original post, wider tires do not necessarily require wider rims, within reason of course. Often, frame/fork clearance is the limiting factor when it comes to wider tires
Yeah... I just put a new RD on.. would not be happy if that happened.. Maybe I'll throw the old one on.. its broken anyhow so if it goes into the cogs oh well..

But about the tires - I read that the rim should not fall below 37ish percent of the width of the tire. I have 16mm wide rims. I think I can get away with 2.6 wide tires on my frame. I have 2.4 on now and plenty of room. If I put the 2.6 wide tires on my current rims, they would buldge and not be flat enough to give me full traction - while doable, I read that its not advised.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'd also check and make sure it's not the bottom bracket. I'd substitute a spare wheel if I had one and see if the noise goes away.

Cheers
BB is brand new, plus, the noise is NOT there while peddling, so it can't be the BB anyhow.

Originally Posted by PdalPowr
Definitely sounds like a hub gremlin.🤔

Be careful they can get nasty.😉
Great! I have enough SAAB gremlins, don't need any more gremlins!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
With the wheel removed, you can also check for a broken axle or bad axle bearings.
Is this done by simply putting finger in and feeling the bearing move around? How do I do that without pulling apart everything?
Old 12-12-19, 04:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

If you have a broken axle, you'll have a couple pieces of loose axle.
If not broken, rotate slowly and feel for roughness.

Don't you have ANY incentive to do SOME BASIC INSPECTION?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-12-19, 04:32 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have a broken axle, you'll have a couple pieces of loose axle.
If not broken, rotate slowly and feel for roughness.

Don't you have ANY incentive to do SOME BASIC INSPECTION?
Im not sure I understand your last sentence

I have done basic inspection? Its all inside.. nothing much I can do. I guess the reason I asked was because when I had the wheel off nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I am getting my cassette lock ring tool and chain whip tomorrow, that will further help with the inspection. So until then, I have done quite a bit of inspection but can't really determine anything.
Old 12-12-19, 09:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
By "inspection" Bill likely means take stuff apart and look. There's no way we here in front of our computers can do the work to give you a specific and correct answer. I think Bill is reflecting the opinion that many old timers share. Real answers are not found when those asking don't look for them and this interweb world makes many believe that they get all the answers by asking others. Andy
Old 12-13-19, 02:32 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
By "inspection" Bill likely means take stuff apart and look. There's no way we here in front of our computers can do the work to give you a specific and correct answer. I think Bill is reflecting the opinion that many old timers share. Real answers are not found when those asking don't look for them and this interweb world makes many believe that they get all the answers by asking others. Andy
Normally I do take everything apart. But I didn't have the cassette tool till today. All I could do was take off the wheel. Which didn't really prove anything.

But. I got the cassette and axle apart. Axle is good, needs cleaning and grease but nothing broken. Definitely in freehub body/pawls.

Is there a way to take that apart to access everything inside? I'm gonna clean it all good with Carb cleaner or brake cleaner. I would like to soak it in mineral spirits tho, so taking it apart would be best.

This is what I wanna take apart, where the cassette goes on, I wanna slide that off.
Old 12-13-19, 02:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Some Shimano hubs use a 10mm hex wrench.
You haven't identified your hub, so who knows?
Old 12-13-19, 03:42 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some Shimano hubs use a 10mm hex wrench.
You haven't identified your hub, so who knows?
This is all I got from the trek website:

Formula DC22 Rear Alloy hub
Old 12-13-19, 03:58 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So it appears that if I use a 10mm (or similar) allen key, I could remove the freehub from the wheel. Will that then allow me to take apart the actual freehub and service the pawls and such inside? I would hate to clean it out without being able to regrease everything again. I may just spray what I can with brake cleaner and drop some oil in wherever I can.
Old 12-13-19, 04:12 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now, from what I am learning, it either has sealed bearings, or not. Is there a way to check without taking it apart? I guess only by finding some sort of service manual?
Old 12-13-19, 04:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Seth,
Removing the freehub won't make disassembly any easier. There appears to be a grease seal above the actual races of the freehub. If that is the case you will need to remove the seal to exposed two slots in the bearing race that will allow you to disassemble the freehub. Shimano makes a tool for that but the one I have doesn't engage the slots very well, so I made a tool with an old socket and a dremmel blade. To remove the race you need to remember that it is a left hand thread, so turn it to the right. ONLY loosen the race (don't remove it), and then remove the freehub from the hub body. You can then disassemble the freehub on the bench. Do so over a cloth or shop towel, as there are between 51 and 115 1/16" bearings inside the freehub and they will all spill out as you disassemble it. After it is open you can do an inspection and see what is damaged. HTH, MH
Old 12-13-19, 04:56 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Seth,
Removing the freehub won't make disassembly any easier. There appears to be a grease seal above the actual races of the freehub. If that is the case you will need to remove the seal to exposed two slots in the bearing race that will allow you to disassemble the freehub. Shimano makes a tool for that but the one I have doesn't engage the slots very well, so I made a tool with an old socket and a dremmel blade. To remove the race you need to remember that it is a left hand thread, so turn it to the right. ONLY loosen the race (don't remove it), and then remove the freehub from the hub body. You can then disassemble the freehub on the bench. Do so over a cloth or shop towel, as there are between 51 and 115 1/16" bearings inside the freehub and they will all spill out as you disassemble it. After it is open you can do an inspection and see what is damaged. HTH, MH
Thank you! Then I can just remove the dust cap and the race with it attached to the wheel? Good. Gonna try that now. I appreciate the help, honestly
Old 12-13-19, 05:26 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
Thank you! Then I can just remove the dust cap and the race with it attached to the wheel? Good. Gonna try that now. I appreciate the help, honestly
Youtube has "RJ The Bike Guy" that offers some good videos. This one may help:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaA...2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ
Old 12-13-19, 07:43 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Bill K,
My bet is on a broken pawl, which will likely result in the need for a new freehub. Smiles, MH
Old 12-14-19, 07:37 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishboat
Youtube has "RJ The Bike Guy" that offers some good videos. This one may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gI...&index=32&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaA...2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ
This helped SO MUCH. Thank you man.

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Bill K,
My bet is on a broken pawl, which will likely result in the need for a new freehub. Smiles, MH

Surprisingly, nothing was broken! However, I don't think there was any grease left, and what was left was clumps of dirt. I cleaned everything out, regreased it, and now its whisper quite. We will see how long this lasts. Cones and races didn't show signs of pitting either. I think I got lucky this time. I never had the proper tools to maintenance this so I never did it and I could've been in for a much worse experience. I do admit, it seems like the pawls are really worn, or the spring mechanism is worn, or both. Occasionally, when pedaling, I can feel it skip once then catch. I felt this before I took it apart and wasn't sure what it was, but after looking inside the freehub, its obvious its the pawls.

Thank you to all for helping me out with this. Sorry I was a little all over the place

Now, about upgrading, if I get a new hub/wheel assembly in the future, are cassettes cross compatible with all hubs?