Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim brake alignment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim brake alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 05:34 AM
Kopiko_109

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rim brake alignment

Hello folks, can anyone there know why my brake caliper on the rear (Shimano Claris R2000) is keeping on dis-align even though the mounting bolt is tight enough, result on touching the brake pads on side on rim. I always noticed it after few kilometers let say 15-20k. I hope anyone there know how to fix.
Old 07-25-22, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
See "centering"

​​​​​​https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...-brake-service
Old 07-25-22, 09:03 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopiko_109
Hello folks, can anyone there know why my brake caliper on the rear (Shimano Claris R2000) is keeping on dis-align even though the mounting bolt is tight enough, result on touching the brake pads on side on rim. I always noticed it after few kilometers let say 15-20k. I hope anyone there know how to fix.
When you center the brakes, you have to actually change the position of the brake body on the mounting bolt. Many people just push the arms to align the brake and that does not work.
Old 07-25-22, 09:16 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
If the brake housing for your rear brake is too long it will try to push the caliper to the side.

Can you post a pic from the side of of your bike showing how the cable housing is routed? It would help.
Old 07-25-22, 10:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Two questions: is your brake housing too short so it tends to pull the whole caliper askew? If no to that, does the brake always skew the smae, not very big amount to the same side? (If both brakes do it, to opposite sides to the bike, ie the same side relative to the caliper.)

Dual pivot brakes are by design asymmetrical. This means the two arms have different leverages and different rates of swing. If you set the pads equidistant from the rims so they look "right", one pad will hit first and with further squeeze, the caliper then pushes the rim to one side. If the caliper has any tendency to "center" from braking force, now these "centered" pads will pull back unequal distances from the rim.

Welcome to the seedy underworld of dual pivot brakes, the unspoken stuff you aren't supposed to notice. (I always set my dual pivots askew so a firm squeeze does not push the rim. Probably bugs others but that is the curse of knowing,
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-25-22, 11:50 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,600 Times in 3,785 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.