Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which wheels to buy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which wheels to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 12:04 PM
Tipmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Which wheels to buy

After receiving a bonus from work and looking forward to my early(ish) retirement I've decided to splurge on some carbon wheels

I've always been happy with whatever wheels came on my bike and never been one for upgrading much but after riding a friends bike on a varied bike route I was quite impressed with the speed and comfort of the ride. He was using a pair of Black Inc wheels

i mostly ride flattish roads these days but always loved the challenge of a good long hill. My son is also becoming good on the hills so we can challenge each other

My question is. 45 or 60 depth. Do others have a preference? His i. Relieve where 60 in depth and it was a calm day for riding so I didn't notice any problems with them

if money was no object. Would you go ceramic bearings or stainless steel. Is there much of a difference. There seems to be conflicting evidence online about this

Last edited by Tipmart; 03-19-22 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-19-22, 12:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Are you talking about carbon wheels with rim brakes? Clinchers or tubeless?
Old 03-19-22, 12:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It sounds like you know this already, but to be explicit about it: the deeper wheels should be faster in all cases except up hill, at the expense of getting pushed around more in cross winds. The more you weigh, the he's of an issue cross winds tend to be. Deeper wheels tend to be stronger, stiffer, and heavier if any of those things matter to you.
Old 03-19-22, 12:57 PM
Tipmart

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Are you talking about carbon wheels with rim brakes? Clinchers or tubeless?
disk brakes and undecided about going tubeless. Might try it if I get new wheels
Old 03-19-22, 01:21 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Tipmart
disk brakes and undecided about going tubeless. Might try it if I get new wheels
FWIW I was very skeptical about tubeless. But, about 3 yrs ago I saw a great deal on Mavic UST. So, I bought a rear wheel for my road bike. It comes with a Mavic Yksion tire already mounted. I put it on the rear of my bike and took it down the road. I was stunned. Rolled smoothly, spun up quickly and was lighter. I bought the front wheel.Then I bought a set for my wife and another set for my second road bike.Three years later and zero flats. So, a month ago I bought a set for my Colnago cross bike. Mavic matched their tires to the wheels so you can mount them easily with a floor pump. I am totally sold on tubeless and Mavic in particular. It didn't hurt that my bikes also lost significant weight. FWIW my CAAD 12 and Guru steel are rim brakes and my Colnago is disc.
Old 03-19-22, 01:32 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If it's windy or gusty you may not want 60mm, at least not in the front. 45mm is good for all around use. I'd be inclined to go with 38-45mm up front and 55-65 in the rear.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-19-22, 02:21 PM
Tipmart

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW I was very skeptical about tubeless. But, about 3 yrs ago I saw a great deal on Mavic UST. So, I bought a rear wheel for my road bike. It comes with a Mavic Yksion tire already mounted. I put it on the rear of my bike and took it down the road. I was stunned. Rolled smoothly, spun up quickly and was lighter. I bought the front wheel.Then I bought a set for my wife and another set for my second road bike.Three years later and zero flats. So, a month ago I bought a set for my Colnago cross bike. Mavic matched their tires to the wheels so you can mount them easily with a floor pump. I am totally sold on tubeless and Mavic in particular. It didn't hurt that my bikes also lost significant weight. FWIW my CAAD 12 and Guru steel are rim brakes and my Colnago is disc.
interesting. I should try it. I've always used 23s as old timer but considering moving up to 25s I'll talk with the store and see what they say and maybe try them out. I know they stock Pirelli and Vitoria

Originally Posted by tFUnK
If it's windy or gusty you may not want 60mm, at least not in the front. 45mm is good for all around use. I'd be inclined to go with 38-45mm up front and 55-65 in the rear.

can you mix and match at a store or do you have to buy two pairs?
Old 03-19-22, 02:31 PM
bruce19

interesting. I should try it. I've always used 23s as old timer but considering moving up to 25s I'll talk with the store and see what they say and maybe try them out. I know they stock Pirelli and Vitoria

can you mix and match at a store or do you have to buy two pairs?
FWIW all my road bikes are using 25s.
Old 03-20-22, 02:52 AM
tFUnK

Some wheelsets are offered with shallower front and deeper rear, but most are offered with the same depth as a set. You can also buy individual wheels to get the depths you want front and rear.

I recently went back to 23s on one bike (that's all the frame has clearance for) after riding other bikes running 25s. The 25s feel much better but I'm a heavier rider.
Old 03-20-22, 03:25 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Since you .mention hills being important go with the lighter of the choices.
Old 03-20-22, 02:26 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Some wheelsets are offered with shallower front and deeper rear, but most are offered with the same depth as a set. You can also buy individual wheels to get the depths you want front and rear.

I recently went back to 23s on one bike (that's all the frame has clearance for) after riding other bikes running 25s. The 25s feel much better but I'm a heavier rider.
I think you may be confusing rim width with rim depth.
Old 03-20-22, 03:44 PM
tFUnK

I was talking about rim depth and then decided to also chime in on tire width. Sorry for being unclear.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-20-22, 04:02 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Personally I tired of the deep wheels. I just gave them up For Hyperon's and I'm very happy.
Old 03-20-22, 09:41 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
45s and steel bearings. I have been running 25-27 mm deep alloy wheels th east couple of years but definitely prefer light-ish 45s like the ENVE 3.4 or Zipp 303. Just ordered the latter, and have owned the former.
Old 03-21-22, 12:57 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 286 Posts
After receiving a bonus from work and looking forward to my early(ish) retirement I've decided to splurge on some carbon wheels

I've always been happy with whatever wheels came on my bike and never been one for upgrading much but after riding a friends bike on a varied bike route I was quite impressed with the speed and comfort of the ride. He was using a pair of Black Inc wheels

i mostly ride flattish roads these days but always loved the challenge of a good long hill. My son is also becoming good on the hills so we can challenge each other

My question is. 45 or 60 depth. Do others have a preference? His i. Relieve where 60 in depth and it was a calm day for riding so I didn't notice any problems with them

if money was no object. Would you go ceramic bearings or stainless steel. Is there much of a difference. There seems to be conflicting evidence online about this
I personally wouldn't go with anything deeper than 45 on a road bike. Crosswinds will scare the heck out of you when your wheels are super deep. I have the Zipp 303S and wouldn't want any deeper...
Old 03-21-22, 01:06 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
...receiving a bonus from work and looking forward to my early(ish) retirement...
NICE!!! Looks like your baby gonna get a new pair of shoes... Bravo!
Old 03-21-22, 08:52 PM
Tipmart

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
NICE!!! Looks like your baby gonna get a new pair of shoes... Bravo!

Can't afford those as well
Likes For Tipmart:
Old 03-22-22, 12:52 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,019 Posts
Congratulations on bonus and anticipated early retirement!

I did not want to spend ENVE or ZIPP money on carbon wheels for my rim brake bike, so I have just ordered a set of FFWD F4R wheels, based on some older online reviews and a few positive comments here on BF.

FFWD Wheels Carbon Hand Built Bicycle Wheels | Fast Forward Wheels (ffwdusa.com)

I used a 15% coupon code (WDYAZZKY).
Old 03-22-22, 11:24 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
He was using a pair of Black Inc wheels ... Would you go ceramic bearings or stainless steel.
I think Black Inc. are only available with ceramic bearings.
... can you mix and match at a store or do you have to buy two pairs?
Black Inc. used to offer mixed depth sets, but I'm not sure if they still do. It's likely they would put together a mixed set if you ask them to.
Old 03-22-22, 12:12 PM
OkFine

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre Veloce eTap, Poseidon X, Cannondale F5,

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
Really enjoying this wheelset. Deep enough to get some gain and light enough to be worth the depth.

https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/t...21-232790.html
Old 03-22-22, 01:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
i'd go up to 40 or skip it & jump up to 60 if sticking with tubes. The stem length for a 40 & less or a 60 & greater profile rim is easier imo to shop for regarding tubes, unless you don't mind using extenders. Either way, I'd opt for tubeless ready/compatible jic you decide to try it.
Old 03-24-22, 10:47 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Congratulations on bonus and anticipated early retirement!

I did not want to spend ENVE or ZIPP money on carbon wheels for my rim brake bike, so I have just ordered a set of FFWD F4R wheels, based on some older online reviews and a few positive comments here on BF.

FFWD Wheels Carbon Hand Built Bicycle Wheels | Fast Forward Wheels (ffwdusa.com)

I used a 15% coupon code (WDYAZZKY).
I've been riding those for a few years... Fantastic wheel set that looks good, is relatively light, gives you an aero boost, and has stayed true this while time...
Old 03-24-22, 11:21 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Caliwild
I've been riding those for a few years... Fantastic wheel set that looks good, is relatively light, gives you an aero boost, and has stayed true this while time...
Nice! Do your FFWD wheels have the DT Swiss hubs or FFWD's allegedly similar own hubs?
Old 03-24-22, 06:33 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Nice! Do your FFWD wheels have the DT Swiss hubs or FFWD's allegedly similar own hubs?
Just the regular FFWD ones... They're perfectly fine. The 240s save you a little bit of weight, but that's about it...
Old 03-24-22, 06:45 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Just the regular FFWD ones... They're perfectly fine. The 240s save you a little bit of weight, but that's about it...
Yeah, a 36T ratchet freehub is probably more advanced than the Mavic one I am riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.