Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle deaths on the rise nationally, study finds

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 01:01 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
How am I overestimating the denominator? According to the article, 1 in 3 Americans ride a bike. There are roughly 330 million Americans, so why wouldn't I use 110 million?

Tell you what. Lets say that I exaggerated dramatically and the total is only 1 million Americans on a bike. That puts the probability at .08%, leaving us with a 99.92% chance of surviving the year without a fatal accident.

Are you happier with those odds?

According to this other thread, you were closer with your original figure.
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...ide-bikes.html

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/03/0...ke-it-a-habit/
Old 09-21-17, 01:40 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How am I overestimating the denominator? According to the article, 1 in 3 Americans ride a bike. There are roughly 330 million Americans, so why wouldn't I use 110 million?

1 in 3 seems very, very high. How do they define "ride a bike"? Once a year?
Old 09-21-17, 01:55 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
1 in 3 seems very, very high. How do they define "ride a bike"? Once a year?
Ask the authors. I know that the Missouri number is 2.1 million Missourians who will ride a bike at some point in the year, so 110 million nationally certainly seems to be in the ball park.

Of course, you could argue that someone who borrows a bike for an hour once this year isn't the same as a daily commuter or racer who puts thousands, possibly tens of thousands of miles on their bikes each year. But then you'd have to break down the number of fatalities relative to miles or hours ridden and once again the number comes out to be very low.

As a point of reference, between 3500 and 4000 people drown each year in the US. 42,000 people die from poisoning.

So while 800 deaths in bike accidents is a tragedy for 800 families and communities, it is not quite the growing national crisis that headlines would proclaim it to be. That is the point I was trying to make.

What follows is that while we should obviously be looking for ways to make cycling safer, we have to balance those efforts with a sense of proportion and a risk/reward analysis.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 09-21-17, 04:16 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Something is off kilter with all the analysis. Who is killing all these cyclists? Pedestrians? Other cyclists?

Why isn't anybody discussing the epidemic that's called bad driving?
Old 09-21-17, 06:05 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask the authors. I know that the Missouri number is 2.1 million Missourians who will ride a bike at some point in the year, so 110 million nationally certainly seems to be in the ball park.

Of course, you could argue that someone who borrows a bike for an hour once this year isn't the same as a daily commuter or racer who puts thousands, possibly tens of thousands of miles on their bikes each year. But then you'd have to break down the number of fatalities relative to miles or hours ridden and once again the number comes out to be very low.

As a point of reference, between 3500 and 4000 people drown each year in the US. 42,000 people die from poisoning.

So while 800 deaths in bike accidents is a tragedy for 800 families and communities, it is not quite the growing national crisis that headlines would proclaim it to be. That is the point I was trying to make.

What follows is that while we should obviously be looking for ways to make cycling safer, we have to balance those efforts with a sense of proportion and a risk/reward analysis.

I agree with your overall premise. Cycling isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be. I just think that 1 in 3 number had to have come out of somebody's ass.

Like you said, we really want to know some numbers in terms of deaths per hour of activity, but those numbers are impossible to find.
Old 09-21-17, 06:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
1 in 3 Americans rode a bike - that's 110 million people. 800 deaths. That works out to a .0000073 chance of being killed, or a %0.00073 chance of a fatal accident. Those look like pretty favorable odds to me.

BB
The problem is times/distance.

Those riders that ride, say 100+ days a year, and over 5000 miles a year have a whole lot more exposure than those riders who ride, say a few miles for an hour or so a year.

Those that ride a lot are likely better skilled with riding around traffic, and thus safer, but potentially take higher risks than those who never ride outside of their local neighborhood or public parks.
Old 09-22-17, 08:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Something is off kilter with all the analysis. Who is killing all these cyclists? Pedestrians? Other cyclists?

Several reasons:
Most drivers believe they are better than they are
Most drivers believe roads are for cars
Cyclists are a tiny minority
800 deaths a year is nothing relative to the 40000 deaths a year of motorists and passengers
Bicycles are toys for kids
This happens to "the other guy"

So as far as the big picture is concerned, cyclists don't matter, and there is no driving problem.
Old 09-22-17, 04:09 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
If you look at deaths per miles traveled, bicycling is 3-10x more dangerous than driving cars. From HERE.

784 cyclists died in 2005 (p. 86). That would make the death rate 0.37 to 1.26 deaths per 10 million miles.

33,041 motorists/passengers died (p. 86) from 3 trillion miles travelled (p. 15), making their death rate 0.11 per 10 million miles travelled.

So cyclists are either 3.4x or 11.5x as likely to die as motorists, per passenger mile. Neither conclusion is very happy.
On public roads, I feel safer on a motorcycle than on a bicycle.
Old 09-23-17, 08:25 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by reppans
If you look at deaths per miles traveled, bicycling is 3-10x more dangerous than driving cars. From HERE.

Wow, from that site comes this revelation:
Cyclist fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas (66%), at non-intersection locations (67%), between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (30%), and during the months of June, July, and August (36%). (NHTSA, 2004)89% of fatal bike crashes in NYC occurred at or within 25 feet of intersections.
67% of crashes are at non intersection locations. The site later mentions that 33% of crashes are at intersections, thus confirming that 67%.

This exactly opposite of what we've been told for so many years... that intersections are dangerous...
Old 09-23-17, 08:49 AM
Daniel4

Why is bad driving an acceptable norm that we would rather accept the fatality rates of road users than to address those who are causing those fatalities?
Old 09-23-17, 08:52 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

67% of crashes are at non intersection locations. The site later mentions that 33% of crashes are at intersections, thus confirming that 67%.

This exactly opposite of what we've been told for so many years... that intersections are dangerous...
I believe that you're mixing data. The fatality rate doesn't correlate with the accident rate.

The higher fatality rate resulting from passes on straight sections, reflects the higher speeds involved. Intersection accidents tend to involve lower speeds, so one is more likely to be injured rather than killed.

It also depends where you ride. Open road cyclists are more likely to be victims of passing accidents, while urban riders are more likely to be injured at intersections.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-23-17, 08:57 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Why is bad driving an acceptable norm that we would rather accept the fatality rates of road users than to address those who are causing those fatalities?
What do you suggest is a credible, useful or practical means to "address those who are causing those fatalities?" Certainly it can't be just to repeat the same platitudinous question over and over on BF.
Old 09-23-17, 09:36 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

I think the same 'per passenger mile' thing applies - it's just that the VAST BULK of a bicyclists' mileage is not near an intersection. Take the NYC example - you are only w/in +/-25ft of an intersection <20% of the time (short blocks ~250 ft), yet it accounts for 89% of the fatalities. Rural riding is going to have a tiny percentage of mileage through intersections. Averaging it all in, and I'd guess MOST bicycle fatalities are a result of getting accidentally hit/sideswiped from behind at non-intersections.

Human at the controls will always result in some level of error/accident - you can never reduce that to zero, and I'm actually surprised the fatality rates are not higher. I'm into dangerous sports (statistically far more dangerous than bicycling) but bicycling (on public roads) is unique risky to me for 2 reasons: 1) I reliquish most of the control to the other guy (car passing me), and 2) the inability to maintain average road user pace means I expose myself to many more of those 'other guys in control' (vs a motorcycle, for example).
Old 09-23-17, 11:02 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I wonder if demographics plays into the fatality data. I'd like to see it broken down by age. For motorists, traffic deaths are strongly correlated to age, and I suspect the same thing is true for cyclists. I'd like to know what the risk is for someone of my age.
Old 09-23-17, 11:10 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I wonder if demographics plays into the fatality data. I'd like to see it broken down by age. For motorists, traffic deaths are strongly correlated to age, and I suspect the same thing is true for cyclists. I'd like to know what the risk is for someone of my age.
There is data broken down by age. I believe you'll find it on the CDC site, though it might be at NHTSA.

If I recall there's concentration at the low end (children) which shouldn't surprise anybody, but what may surprise is the concentration at the high end, in disproportion to the participation, which is interesting.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-23-17, 11:19 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I believe that you're mixing data. The fatality rate doesn't correlate with the accident rate.

The higher fatality rate resulting from passes on straight sections, reflects the higher speeds involved. Intersection accidents tend to involve lower speeds, so one is more likely to be injured rather than killed.

It also depends where you ride. Open road cyclists are more likely to be victims of passing accidents, while urban riders are more likely to be injured at intersections.
You are right... the way I restated the data in my post is wrong... here is the original quote, which looks strictly at fatalities...

Cyclist fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas (66%), at non-intersection locations (67%), between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. (30%), and during the months of June, July, and August (36%). (NHTSA, 2004)89% of fatal bike crashes in NYC occurred at or within 25 feet of intersections. (“Bicyclist Fatalities and Serious Injuries in New York City”, PDF, NYC government, 2005)33% of cycling fatalities were at intersections.
I added the bold to show that those two numbers do add up. Now bear in mind that these are recent numbers... gathered during this current century... since the advent of the cell phone (whatever...). And more importantly, these are quite the opposite of what we have heard from the Vehicular Cycling crowd for the last 30+ years or so, while they cite the Cross study... the latter done in the 70s. (Cross 1)

Have conditions changed that much? Are non-intersections fatalities now greater in number than intersection fatalities?

Indeed, I tend to agree that same direction collisions will likely involve higher speeds , and thus tend to be fatal... This is especially true since the national speed limit of 55MPH has long been rescinded, and even some non-highway arterial roads may have speeds as high as 55MPH.
Old 09-23-17, 11:21 AM
genec
genec

There is data broken down by age. I believe you'll find it on the CDC site, though it might be at NHTSA.

If I recall there's concentration at the low end (children) which shouldn't surprise anybody, but what may surprise is the concentration at the high end, in disproportion to the participation, which is interesting.
Speculation has long held that cyclists reentering the sport in later years skews the high end concentration of which you speak.
Old 09-24-17, 06:06 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's temporary. Autonomous cars are just around the corner.
Old 09-24-17, 08:48 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What do you suggest is a credible, useful or practical means to "address those who are causing those fatalities?" Certainly it can't be just to repeat the same platitudinous question over and over on BF.
Your challenge to me indicates your defense of bad driving habits and nothing should be done. It is of the view that motorists rule and all their victims be damned.

There are many solutions studied around the world but again political will gets in the way in favour of the bad driver.

Intentional traffic calming obstructions force motorists to drive carefully. But critics say they slow down traffic times too much.

In Ontario, legislation is being proposed to increase the fine for road fatalities to $50,000, max 2 years in jail and demerit points. Current fine is only $500. An election is coming up and I can see critics state that the proposal is another cash-grab. How much is a life worth?

I have stated many times in these discussion forums that in order to earn a drivers license one should be required to have 8 hours of in traffic bicycle experience. One survey indicated a lot of would-be cyclists don't because of motorists. That's people being afraid to cycle because of themselves.

So you critize my repeat of the same question but you didn't answer that question. I have never recieved an approprite answer to why bad driving is acceptable.
Old 09-24-17, 08:58 AM
Daniel4

... - you can never reduce that to zero,
You should tell that to the Mayor of Toronto and any other authority to abandon the plan of VisionZero.

You also cannot reduce diseases, unemployment or public debts to zero. But they are good causes and goals to achieve.

but bicycling (on public roads) is unique risky to me for 2 reasons: 1) I reliquish most of the control to the other guy (car passing me), and 2) the inability to maintain average road user pace means I expose myself to many more of those 'other guys in control' (vs a motorcycle, for example).
The two reasons are actually one: bad driving. If it weren't for the bad driver, you wouldn't worry about the close pass and the drivers' inability to stay in control.
Old 09-24-17, 01:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have never recieved an approprite answer to why bad driving is acceptable.
Who, besides yourself, ever claimed that "bad driving is acceptable"?
Old 09-24-17, 01:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Unlike many here, I'm not concerned with this kind of statistical data.
Statistics only apply to large groups and, as you point out, have limited utility in predicting risk for individuals.

Rather than thinking about the broad statistics, I focus on controlling my destiny.
This ^^
For me, this means riding carefully and considerately, wearing a helmet and using a rear-view mirror. YMMV, of course.
Steve
Old 09-24-17, 01:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Bicycling is reasonably safe...we might conclude that the fears are overblown.
There are WAY too many variables to conclude bicycles are safe or not. Presuming we are staying on roads shared with motorists, here are some variables that just pop to mind.

Rider Skill
Rider Experience
Bicycle Type
Road Types
Road Widths
Traffic Volume
Sight Lines
Road Shoulders or Not
Culture of Motorists Encountered (Jackson, Mississippi would be FAR different than Davis, California)
Culture of Cyclists (New Orleans vs. Seattle WA would be fairly extreme)
Total Numbers of Cyclists
Time of Day or Night
Alcohol Law Enforcement

To name a few. You can't just throw out a statement that "bicycles are reasonably safe" unless you are riding circles in an empty parking lot. Life does not get lived in a vacuum.
Old 09-24-17, 01:41 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
There are WAY too many variables to conclude bicycles are safe or not. Presuming we are staying on roads shared with motorists, here are some variables that just pop to mind.....
My statement about safety was intended to be taken in the context of the other risks we all face in our daily lives, not a promise of absolute safety (something that doesn't exist anyway).

On the spectrum of various risks, I place bicycling someplace between using knives in the kitchen, and wreck diving., but closer to the kitchen than the sea.

Old 09-24-17, 02:42 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
You can't just throw out a statement that "bicycles are reasonably safe" unless you are riding circles in an empty parking lot. Life does not get lived in a vacuum.
This is true, but because life is not lived in a vacuum it is also true of pretty much everything else we do.

We'll never get out of here alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.