Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Coming to the US

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Coming to the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-17, 03:59 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
un chose trés important, je suis un canadien et chaque fois que je vais aux etats, il faut avoir un tres bonne et solide assurance de maladie et d'accident. Vous savez qu"aux etats, si tu as un accident, tu pourrais se trouver en debt de les centaines de milles de dollars americaine tres vite, donc naise pas et etre sur et certain que vous avez un assurance fiable pour les truc medicaux. J'imagine que sera facile de trouver le bon info chez vous, mais je suis tres serieux comment c'est important.
Ils sont foux ces romains......
Very true. Several years ago, while visiting the USA, I spent a night in a hospital emergency ward. I was discharged after five hours. The workup consisted of one test, some IV fluid, and a shot of pain killer. Mostly I rested. I was examined by a doctor for about five minutes. I think we met twice: once when I arrived, and once toward the end of my stay.

The bill came to nearly $10,000... an average of $2000 per hour.

(Yes, I had travel insurance! )
Old 12-05-17, 04:54 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
un chose trés important, je suis un canadien et chaque fois que je vais aux etats, il faut avoir un tres bonne et solide assurance de maladie et d'accident. Vous savez qu"aux etats, si tu as un accident, tu pourrais se trouver en debt de les centaines de milles de dollars americaine tres vite, donc naise pas et etre sur et certain que vous avez un assurance fiable pour les truc medicaux. J'imagine que sera facile de trouver le bon info chez vous, mais je suis tres serieux comment c'est important.
Ils sont foux ces romains......

bonne chance avec vos plans et de penser d'un route. J'ai jamais voyagé dans ce secteur, seulement la cote ouest et ici dans le nord est pret de Montreal.
Si vous avez d'autres questions, n'hesitez de demander.
Certainly look into travel insurance to be sure you are covered in case of medical emergency.
Old 12-05-17, 05:26 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Google Translated:

a very important thing, I am a Canadian and every time I go to the States, you have to have a very good and solid insurance of illness and accident. You know that in the States, if you have an accident, you could be in debt of hundreds of miles of American dollars very quickly, so do not be afraid and be sure that you have a reliable insurance for the medical stuff. imagine that it will be easy to find the right info at home, but I am very serious how important it is.
They are crazy these romans ......

good luck with your plans and thinking of a road. I have never traveled in this area, only the west coast and here in the north is near Montreal.
If you have other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

"niaise", as a verb, is a colloquialism used in Quebec (Canada) and should probably be translated as "don't act as a moron" rather that "do not be afraid "

I very much doubt that our French readers know what niaiseux (someone who niaise) means anyway. "Con" comes to mind. (has nothing to do with the word "convict" in France's French). As in, "faites pas les cons -- achetez une assurance voyage"
Old 12-05-17, 07:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
sorry, I know I didnt write that very well, I just wanted to do it before I forgot, to make sure this couple thought about the whole insurance thing.

many years ago, maybe 15 at least, someone I knew went to San Francisco, rented a bike to look around, but had a little fall. Had a little hairline fracture in the wrist somewhere, so x-rays, cast etc, but no overnight or anything, and if I remember properly, the bill for that was $7000.
Old 12-05-17, 10:27 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
sorry, I know I didnt write that very well, I just wanted to do it before I forgot, to make sure this couple thought about the whole insurance thing.

many years ago, maybe 15 at least, someone I knew went to San Francisco, rented a bike to look around, but had a little fall. Had a little hairline fracture in the wrist somewhere, so x-rays, cast etc, but no overnight or anything, and if I remember properly, the bill for that was $7000.
No reason to be sorry. Very sound advice actually. Not entirely clear to me if purchasing trip-specific insurance is the way to go vs getting a platinum credit card -- they usually provide travel insurance. I must admit that I've never looked at the details.
Old 12-05-17, 10:54 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I like to use weatherspark.com for yearly weather averages.

For example, Flagstaff Arizona
Click a month link on the right side to get averages for just that month.

The average high and low temperatures for the year. (Change to metric at the top of the page.) The lightest color bands are the 90 percentile range.

Average Hourly Temperature

Then I look at the ranges of temperature for different times of the day.

"Cool" light green, and "Comfortable" in yellow are very nice for bike riding.
"Cold" is good with the right clothing layers.

For example, on May 1, the average is "Cool" from 11:00AM to sunset. (Of course, there will be days much warmer or much colder than this average.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 12-05-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 01:13 AM
Anna4255

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing to contribute. I'm just following thread to learn.
Old 12-06-17, 08:05 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredandsveta
Thank you for your answers, it's much appreciated for the foreigners we are! and we hope you survive from our funny English!!
Je suis sûr que votre anglais est meilleur que mon français!
Old 12-06-17, 10:59 AM
Fredandsveta

Bikes: Tandem bicycle

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firstly, thank all for such big participation !! that a quite active forum, it will take me a while to answer
I’ll try to compile all the information,

- About the visa, we come under the ESTA and Waiver visa. We would love to stay more but we have to move to South America to continue the travel and match with the austral spring and summer.
We will stay exactly 86 days, from the 3th March to the 28th May 2018. We expect to ride around 2800 miles in this period of time.

- About the way to leave Los Angeles, the Boltbus to Barstow look the best motorized solution, but after visiting the adventurecycling road especially the one called “Bicycle Route 66” we start to imagine simply to ride for leave the big city.
What we like in this idea is the itinerary crossing Los Angeles, certainly it will be very interesting for us, and good fun to cycle through those places!! For foreigners victims of the Hollywood “brainwash” from the time we born (we like American movies, nothing wrong with that!!), we know and heard all the name we see on the map, so it can be nice to replace the virtual experience by a personal one!
The point will be to find for 2-3 nights different host on the road, with WarmShower certainly.
Is it a crazy idea?

- About insurance, that a serious question sure. For the 3 month in USA we will be covered by the insurance included with our Visa premium credit card, so for that period we don’t take more insurance, it should be enough. But I’m going to call them just to check how it work.
Thanks @djb for your concern!
I feel bad that American people have to face to such situation regarding health expenses….

- About the season, the weather and temperature; we are not really worry by the cold, we are autonomous until almost 0°F, it’s more the rain we would like avoid because it complicate a bit the daily life of the road We also use weatherspark.com.
We are aware that in the area we are looking for, Las Vegas – SLC, we will cross elevated place, but that ok, we adapt ourselves and get used to that. We come from Grenoble, a beautiful city in the French Alps.
Thank you @DXchulo and @ooga-booga, it’s exactly the kind of itinerary we are looking for. As soon as I have 10 posts on the forum I will share a Google collaborative map where I’ve added your proposition. That sounds the good adventure!!
Old 12-06-17, 01:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
- About the visa, we come under the ESTA and Waiver visa. We would love to stay more but we have to move to South America to continue the travel and match with the austral spring and summer. We will stay exactly 86 days, from the 3th March to the 28th May 2018. We expect to ride around 2800 miles in this period of time.

Just a suggestion, not knowing if this is your inaugural trip: plan to roll into your terminal city (Salt Lake City?) 3-5 days before your plane leaves. That'll give you a bit of margin on your ride. Snowstorm? Hole up for a day or two. Bike broke, needs a part? Order it and wait for it to arrive. A day or two at the end also lets you unwind, leisurely (instead of hurriedly) arrange to have your bike packed to ship, visit the area, etc. Staying up packing until 2:00 in the morning to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight doesn't make for fond memories.
Old 12-07-17, 01:31 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi @pdlamb,

Thanks for your advice
It's exactly our plan to stay few days quite in Salt Lake City before the flight. It will be a certain job to pack the tandem, and we will need to make some shopping before start the trip in South America, like an extra Schwalbe Mondial Marthon tire, the chains to change, to change the oil on the Rolhoff hub, what else...
We cross the fingers for find available host with WarmShower.
Old 12-07-17, 01:47 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 posts reached!! I can now share more than plain text!

Here is the link of our Google collaborative map :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Py...vU&usp=sharing

It's in read access only, let me know if you which the right to modify, that's welcome!

The blue point are some national Park we found through some google search,
the red line is following the places where we have to go,
the blue line is the proposition of itinerary from @ooga-booga on post #17
Old 12-07-17, 05:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
looking at the route i proposed...assuming you spend 2-3 days at each national park and average 40-60 miles a day,
it looks like you blow though my route in approximately 5 weeks. that leaves you with another 4-8 weeks. i'm also assuming that once you start hitting the really gorgeous stuff like the grand canyon, monument valley and all of southern utah, it will slow you to a crawl. still...that's a lot of extra time. on your itinerary, you've got a few things-calico ghost town. it's interesting (more of a fabrication) but i think you might enjoy rhyolite ghost town on the eastern boundary of death valley national park (on the way to beatty, nevada) a little more. valley of fire state park and lake mead recreational area are fairly close to las vegas (as is red rock national conservation area). all are worth riding so that's another 3 days along with a potentially obligatory las vegas side trip. i would also recommend dipping down in a southeasternly fashion after leaving las vegas on the way from kingman, arizona towards flagstaff, arizona. this would allow you to contact the historic, hillside mining town of jerome, az and also a fantastic copper museum in neighboring clarksdale (i'm not joking-the museum is one of a kind) enroute to the idyllic town of sedona, arizona. would add another 3-4 days to the ledger before you head north to flagstaff, az then onwards to the south rim of grand canyon national park. if your trip was a month later in the year, i'd say forget about the south rim of the grand canyon and hit the north rim instead. problem is that the north rim is closed from mid-december to mid-may. zero services. elevation is around 8,000 feet so plenty of snow. theoretically, you would be there sometime in april. it's said that arizona highway 67 that runs from the restaurant/motel/general store hamlet of jacob lake, az to the north rim of grand canyon np is the most beautiful highway in all of arizona. having ridden it, i can say it's definitely beautiful. it's roughly 45-50 miles one way from jacob lake to the road's end at either cape royal or the grand canyon lodge. views at either surpass anything you'll see from the south rim imho. maybe it's doable on a bike, maybe it's not. they'll allow hikers and cross-country skiers in. can't find any reliable info on whether cyclists can ride in when the north rim is closed. i suppose you could always circle back to it and then zip up to salt lake city depending on exactly when in may you depart the states. hitting the north rim from/enroute to kanab, utah would add another 3 days.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-29-17 at 04:06 AM. Reason: wrong rim!
Old 12-07-17, 05:49 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,607 Times in 3,787 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Благодарю за перевод cb400,
twin or four?
four
Old 12-07-17, 06:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
looking at the route i proposed...assuming ......i suppose you could always circle back to it and then zip up to salt lake city depending on exactly when in may you depart the states. hitting the south rim from/enroute to kanab, utah would add another 3 days.
if weather is a problem at that time, stay south longer. from south rim could go to tuscon
for saguaro national monument, some nice gravel roads in the area. then a stop to see
"the thing" and then gradually head north. monument valley, canyon de chelly, and into
utah.
Old 12-07-17, 10:09 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I would suggest heading to Joshua Tree NP at the beginning, as you originally proposed, as opposed to Death Valley. From there, I would seriously consider heading toward southern Arizona. There are several interesting places to see near Tucson, including Saguaro NP. The weather should be good for cycling there during March. Then, you can head northward, perhaps toward Petrified Forest NP and Canyon de Chelly NM, before continuing northward to Utah. I don't know if there is a recommended cycling route to go from southern Arizona to northern Arizona. Perhaps someone else here has some suggestions.
Old 12-09-17, 05:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

and it looks like you probably would, given your direction of travel, but utah highway 12 from bryce canyon national park to capitol reef national park-or vice versa-is not to be missed. it may just be the most scenic stretch of road you ride on your vacation here.
Old 12-09-17, 09:08 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10 posts reached!! I can now share more than plain text!

Here is the link of our Google collaborative map :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Py...vU&usp=sharing

It's in read access only, let me know if you which the right to modify, that's welcome!

The blue point are some national Park we found through some google search,
the red line is following the places where we have to go,
the blue line is the proposition of itinerary from @ooga-booga on post #17
Looks like a solid outline to me!
Old 12-09-17, 04:47 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
looking at the route i proposed...assuming you spend 2-3 days at each national park and average 40-60 miles a day...
Thank you so much again for your time to answer.

We are quite slow travellers! We like to take our time, stop and look, take photos, etc..! No goal of daily distance or riding time!!
Usually we travel between 31 and 50 miles by day, ride 3-4 days and then we take a day off, preferably in a lost place and near a river if we can choose!
For the 3 months in US we count about ride about 2800 miles.

We finally don’t have to go through Twentynine Palms, so from LA we can ride directly toward Death Valley. So we may not see the Joshua tree NP and the Mojave NP.
After crossing Las Vegas we will adapt according to the weather, between headings to the area of South Flagstaff, Grand Canyon South Rim or best option the North Rim.
Anyway we will see all along the road which direction we take until SLC.
Old 12-10-17, 04:52 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

awesome. let the weather be your guide. death valley is better than either mojave national preserve or joshua tree national park,
both are worthy but death valley is more iconic. (high) desert-wise...arizona and utah up the ante. any essential high-desert trip in the west
should include: death valley national park, grand canyon national park, zion national park, bryce canyon national park,
grand-staircase/escalante national monument, capitol reef national park, canyonlands national park & arches national park.
you include all those places, your routes to/from will have some pleasant and unexpected surprises.
Old 12-10-17, 11:24 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one question regarding the US roads, which kind of road or highway is forbidden for the bicycles?
For example the 93 and 95 at the south-west of Las Vegas, they start in two double one way road and at some point become a simple two way road. Is it possible to ride those roads?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (151.9 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-10-17, 06:58 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
one question regarding the US roads, which kind of road or highway is forbidden for the bicycles?
For example the 93 and 95 at the south-west of Las Vegas, they start in two double one way road and at some point become a simple two way road. Is it possible to ride those roads?
yes on 93 and 95.
no on 15.
Old 12-10-17, 07:37 PM
300ps

Bikes: MIFA Trekkingrad (2), KHS Urban Xpress

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note that both 93 and 95 have stretches without shoulders, but plenty of trucks. I don't know what your tolerance for that kind of riding is, but a lot of people would consider those roads dangerous for cyclists.

There are places where you can ride the interstates such as I-15 if there is no other alternative. I've ridden it from Baker, CA to near Barstow. The interstates always have shoulders but they aren't always in good condition.

Last edited by 300ps; 12-10-17 at 07:41 PM. Reason: i-15 comment
Old 12-10-17, 10:12 PM
300ps

Bikes: MIFA Trekkingrad (2), KHS Urban Xpress

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins

"niaise", as a verb, is a colloquialism used in Quebec (Canada) and should probably be translated as "don't act as a moron" rather that "do not be afraid "

I very much doubt that our French readers know what niaiseux (someone who niaise) means anyway. "Con" comes to mind. (has nothing to do with the word "convict" in France's French). As in, "faites pas les cons -- achetez une assurance voyage"
"niaise pas", en français de France, je dirais "déconne pas"
Old 12-11-17, 12:12 AM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 300ps
Note that both 93 and 95 have stretches without shoulders, but plenty of trucks. a lot of people woul consider those roads dangerous for cyclists..
95 near lake havasu is the most dangerous road I have ever pedaled on. Truckers without proper papers use this and near by routes to avoid inspection.

Do some research on bicycle routes, find roads with shoulders, they are out there.
Research your route = nice day.
Any old route = bad day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.