Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Floor pump for Presta valves?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Floor pump for Presta valves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 10:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
Ha, you hate Presta valves? You think they are hard to deal with? Come here to Japan were most bikes come with Woods valves (also called Dunlop valves). The Woods valve is an antiquated pain-in-the-backside which was abandoned in much of the world before the color television was invented. You have to unscrew the top of the valve a little before you attach the pump, but not too much or air pressure may blow it across the room. A small stem inside is fitted with a small piece of rubber tube, which tends to rot and must be occasionally replaced. If you have a kids bike where the wheel diameter is small, you can have trouble finding a pump head which will fit. I can't tell you how many times a Woods valve has gotten me ranting.
Old 04-17-20, 10:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
We went through all of this 6 weeks ago. Edit: Well not the Woods valves.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...er-valves.html

Ben
Old 04-18-20, 05:48 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
now I really want one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EIIXSG...osi&th=1&psc=1
Likes For southpier:
Old 04-18-20, 07:31 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Never really had any major problem with either presta or Schrader valves; all my bicycles except one are presta

I've got a Serfas floor pump I bought (maybe) 10 years ago from REI with a discount card that'll work on both schrader and presta valves. I know it cost <$30. Here's a link to their website for the current model that's similar to mine. They also sell a $25 model with plastic parts:

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...wo-floor-pump/
Old 04-18-20, 08:51 AM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I also use a Lezyne pump and have been happy with it. I don't know if I have the updated head (but I've had it for about 10 years), and the screw-on head works fine for me. Although it has a reputation for sometimes unscrewing presta valve cores, I haven't had that issue. It also has a pressure release valve that allows you to release the pressure in the hose before unscrewing to prevent the valve core from coming loose.

In that past year or two I've also picked up a Silca presta valve chuck that works well for me. It's a slip-on chuck, but it has just enough friction to stay in place without being too difficult to push on or remove:

It has the added advantage of having schrader threads on the end, so you can install it on your existing head rather than replacing it. I picked it up for about $35 online.
Old 04-18-20, 10:54 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
90% of the tubes I've replaced are due to breaking off that little head inside the Presta valve as I'm airing up before a ride. I have an okay Planet Bike pump that's probably 15 years old now, though I've replaced the head a few times. Lessons I have learned:
  1. When airing up, put the valve at the top point down. So much easier to remove the pump head without accidently bending or twisting. Try it - you'll like it!
  2. You don't have to jam the head onto the valve. I have better luck just catching the thin part of the valve and then closing the pump head, In fact, pushing the pump head on too far only wears it out so it works worse the next time.
  3. There is nothing new ever posted on this forum. These suggestions are no exception .
Old 04-18-20, 11:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
That was a terrible post. Not sure why people have so many supposed issues with presta valves. They are a standard bike valve and have been for the longest of times. They are pretty easy to use unless you are intentionally rough with things.

Topeak, Lezyne, Blackburn, Specialized...All make fine pumps that work well and those standard valves, if you want the best Silca is the way to go.
Old 04-18-20, 12:39 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Get a Kuwahara Hirame pump head. They have adjustable tightness, the long arm provides a lot of leverage, and they're a pleasure to use.

Agree. I bought this and the Silca knockoff/homage, I prefer the Hirame. Wish I had bought it 30 years ago.

Originally Posted by ted_major
In that past year or two I've also picked up a Silca presta valve chuck that works well for me. It's a slip-on chuck, but it has just enough friction to stay in place without being too difficult to push on or remove:
I had the brass Silca chuck for decades. It was difficult to "slip on" with threaded presta stems, but for a long time I used Michelin tubes with threadless stems, and it was much easier.

I have the Planet Bike two-way chuck on one pump, it's inexpensive and works well.
Originally Posted by 80sTourist
Presta valves are garbage. Utter crap. Blah blah blah....
Originally Posted by blakcloud
To the OP I hear your frustration and your humour.
Blakcloud thinks you're kidding. He is generous.
Old 04-18-20, 02:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Threads like this make me feel like I must have exceptional dexterity. Love my "European valves".
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-18-20, 03:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Presta valves are garbage. Utter crap. I'm never getting anywhere near one again.

That said, my new touring bike has Presta valves. (Because I was innocent.)
Then can I have the bike? I do a good deal of touring.
Old 04-18-20, 03:16 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
OP makes it seem as if the Presta valve is some new innovation. Hasn't it pretty much been standard for 25 or 30 years on better quality bikes? Anyhow, I have been using Presta on my bike for 8 years now and I thought I was late to the party. Never had a problem with one, either. I have been using a Bontrager Charger floor pump these last 8 years. Cost me about $40. Maybe less, but I think that is what they retail for now. Works well enough, in that it pumps air into the tires and has a decent gauge. Easy to use. Works on both Presta and Schrader valves, in case you have an old school bike you want to use. I am sure the other brands work just as well, but the advantage of the Bontrager is, you can get one at any Trek dealer, and if a part fails, you can get those there as well..
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-18-20, 08:15 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
You hate Presta valves? LOL LOL LOL LMAO!! that's the most absurd thing I've heard since yesterday.

Dude, they're easy to use and very reliable, just get use to it.

Must be the coronavirus has brought out the weird in people.
Old 04-18-20, 08:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by MRT2
OP makes it seem as if the Presta valve is some new innovation. Hasn't it pretty much been standard for 25 or 30 years on better quality bikes? ...
They were far from new when I started getting serious 50 years ago. (I didn't have them yet but lusted after my best friend's dad's bike, a 1965 Allegro with sewups.)
Old 04-18-20, 08:47 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Get a Kuwahara Hirame pump head. They have adjustable tightness, the long arm provides a lot of leverage, and they're a pleasure to use.

Kuwahara pump heads are expensive but cost less than wheels provided you're not spending $25 each on amazon.com.
Nice! I love the Zephal heads on their frame pumps. That looks like the Zephal in metal that will last forever for hoses. Sweet! And thanks!

Ben
Old 04-18-20, 09:06 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts

So, can anybody suggest a floor pump that actually works on this European crap? By that I mean, it seals quickly, easily, and completely to the valve, without my having to sweat and grunt and force for fifteen minutes; doesn't snap off that darling little valve stem; pumps air into the tire; pumps more air into the tire than it lets out of the tire; and finally, releases from the valve quickly and easily, requiring less effort than it takes to bang the back of my hand so hard against the spokes that I can't close my fingers for a week.

Related question: could there be, somewhere on the planet, a pump with a Presta valve head that actually screws on to the stem, using threads such as screws (and Presta stems) have, rather than jamming and cramming and forcing and pounding? Because such futuristic technology would probably solve most of the above problems.

Finally: it would be great if the theoretical pump cost less than a new set of wheels. If you get my drift.
What you just described was the difficulty I had with the Presta valves on my ex's Fuji hybrid bike she had. I literally had to hold the pump onto the valve with one hand and pump with the other. IF I didn't hold it air would seep out or the pump would pop off it.

I had tried two different good pumps that worked with other presta valves with no problems at the bike shop. It was a huge issue on this bike. I too remember hurting my knuckles while doing this and it was also my first experience with Presta valves. Which of course made me want to stick with Schraeder valves.

UNTIL, I replaced the lousy tubes. Wasn't the pump, it was the complete and utter cheap tubes that Fuji had installed. The valves on that bike for some reason were far too short or possibly too thin to get a good connection. Once I replaced them with a slightly higher quality tube, I never had an issue again. Strange as well, she never had a flat again afterwards. Cheap tubes!

I now own 3 bikes and soon to be a 4th (hopefully) that have presta valves and I have no issues and find them very easy to use. It was just that one bike with the cheap tubes.

I currently have this Specialized pump:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ai...QaAhiIEALw_wcB

Last edited by travbikeman; 04-18-20 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 10:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Use a presta to schrader adapter. Bike shops usually have a bowl of them somewhere. Just leave it on. I rarely have to "burp" a presta, unless I've neglected inflating it for a long time. Most of us live with whatever the bike came with.
Old 04-18-20, 10:41 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
+1 on the Silca floor pump with a presta head. I've had mine for 30+ years and it still does a solid job in getting my tubulars rock hard in about 10 pumps. As freeranger says, let out some air from your tire before putting on the pump head.

30+ year old Silca floor pump made from Columbus tubing
I bought my SILCA floor pump in 1985 and still use it. The only thing it needed was to lube the leather plunger about 2 or 3 years ago.

They still make them...

https://silca.cc/collections/floor-pumps
Old 04-19-20, 11:13 PM
80sTourist

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progress made

OK, so I've been looking into ways to cure this particular case of race cancer, and the prognosis is promising.

To begin with, on the advice of a friend, and as someone suggested here, I got the Slime valve adapters. And they work, mostly. That is, they re-enable my floor pump to force air into the tire. Unfortunately, the pressure gauge in said pump does not work with them, so I'm limited to a squeeze test afterward, but they buy me time to come up with a permanent solution. Besides, I've been due to get a new tire gauge for years now, so this is the motivation I need.

In terms of a permanent fix, I've been assured by several people who've had to retro-(no pun intended)-fit bikes with this disability that the myth that tapping out a Presta hole to accept actual valves weakens the rim, is a myth. Word has it that's only operant on skinny little carbon fibre rims. Meanwhile I have alloy 700 X 40s. And I'm overdue for new tires. So... score, I guess.

Thanks for the advice and gear suggestions offered here. I've saved all of them to my desktop. I confess it never occurred to me to let air out of my tires to put air into my tires. While ridiculous, I'm glad you folks clued me in to that. Ditto the cheap-tube thing. All useful information.

So I hope once again to have tubes that the pumps we have here in the uncool Western Hemisphere can pump up. In the meantime I'll take advantage of the info I've gleaned here, mess around some more with those cute little trendy things - that I've been messing around with for three years, and just got sick of their constant, pointless grief before every ride - and see if I can't raise my quotient with them. You never know when someone else will need help.

Finally, to those who tried to pose their way around the question, this observation: my brother-in-law is a bigtime hi-perf bike freak who maintains a fleet of about 10 of them, at last count. His fanciest cycles cost four to five times as much as mine. And he has nary a Presta among them. For obvious reasons he's my first stop when I have gear questions, but on this one he just shrugged and and said, "Never use 'em. Sorry."
Old 04-20-20, 04:00 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
OK, so I've been looking into ways to cure this particular case of race cancer, and the prognosis is promising.

To begin with, on the advice of a friend, and as someone suggested here, I got the Slime valve adapters. And they work, mostly. That is, they re-enable my floor pump to force air into the tire. Unfortunately, the pressure gauge in said pump does not work with them, so I'm limited to a squeeze test afterward, but they buy me time to come up with a permanent solution. Besides, I've been due to get a new tire gauge for years now, so this is the motivation I need.

In terms of a permanent fix, I've been assured by several people who've had to retro-(no pun intended)-fit bikes with this disability that the myth that tapping out a Presta hole to accept actual valves weakens the rim, is a myth. Word has it that's only operant on skinny little carbon fibre rims. Meanwhile I have alloy 700 X 40s. And I'm overdue for new tires. So... score, I guess.

Thanks for the advice and gear suggestions offered here. I've saved all of them to my desktop. I confess it never occurred to me to let air out of my tires to put air into my tires. While ridiculous, I'm glad you folks clued me in to that. Ditto the cheap-tube thing. All useful information.

So I hope once again to have tubes that the pumps we have here in the uncool Western Hemisphere can pump up. In the meantime I'll take advantage of the info I've gleaned here, mess around some more with those cute little trendy things - that I've been messing around with for three years, and just got sick of their constant, pointless grief before every ride - and see if I can't raise my quotient with them. You never know when someone else will need help.

Finally, to those who tried to pose their way around the question, this observation: my brother-in-law is a bigtime hi-perf bike freak who maintains a fleet of about 10 of them, at last count. His fanciest cycles cost four to five times as much as mine. And he has nary a Presta among them. For obvious reasons he's my first stop when I have gear questions, but on this one he just shrugged and and said, "Never use 'em. Sorry."
I mean, you're trolling, I get it....

However, in admitting that you are defeated by a valve so easy a small child could operate it, who is the joke really on?
​​​​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-20-20, 09:35 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
A pump with a universal or smart valve is the way to go IMO. This style pump head is available on most current quality floor pumps, but can be upgraded to any existing pump for about $15. If you only have bikes with Presta valve, the Silca type valves are the way to go, but if you have many bikes with Presta and Schrader valves, the smart valve type is the best I've used.

Old 04-20-20, 11:33 AM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I've been riding bikes with Presta valves for 30+ years. I've had minimal problems with them, so I'm not sure if you're doing something wrong or why you're having so many issues. As for pumps, I had a Zefal Husky for 25+ years that worked great on Presta and Schraeder valves. I recently got a Bontrager Dual Charger pump (my son misplaced the Zefal, which we later found). Works great on either valve type and has different setting for low pressure/high volume and high pressure/low volume tubes.
Old 04-20-20, 12:01 PM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I've got a floor pump with two openings in the head, one for Presta and one for Schraeder. My road bike came with smooth-shaft Presta valves and the pump works beautifully on that. It's a pain to slide on and off the Schraeder valves, the rubber ring doesn't like sliding on the threads. This was driven home when I bought a replacement tube for my road bike and found it had a threaded shaft. The Presta side of my pump head is an absolute beyotch to slide on to a threaded shaft.

Solution: Buy a tube with a smooth Presta shaft. Looks cleaner, too. Not sure where you'd find a long-stem Schraeder to run through a deep rim.
Old 04-20-20, 12:25 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I have both Presta and Schrader valves among my family of bikes. Originally didn't like Presta valves but have come to feel they are superior. I went ahead and bought a Lezyne Sport Digital Floor Drive Pump. It has a screwed in head that can be easily turned around to deal with either valve type. The pump is a bit pricey but is is very easy and fast to use and built extremely well.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 04-20-20, 12:29 PM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Presta valves are neither better nor worse than Schrader valves. They are much better. A bit of difficulty with tire inflation is far offset by the long-term benefits of using them.

It is all in the technique. Pay no attention to the various pumps mentioned, for that way lies ruin. The only pump that is acceptable is the Silca Pista, and not that one with the plastic handle. It must have a wooden handle. The Silca head is preferred, but if you have a mild handicap (you said something about delicate hands vis-s-vis difficulty with flexion after rapping your knuckles), you may use the Japanese head. Do not connect it directly to the Italian part, though. You will have to insulate East from West by replacing the hose with a French hose. You want to find the more supple variety of red hose, not the stiff black one. This is stuff a good cyclist should have on hand as NOS but, if you don't, you can order some re-pop from L’Aventure Michelin in Clermont-Ferrand. Just drop them a line.

All this done, approach the Presta valve and unscrew the valve fully, then completely depress the valve stem for just a second. Fully close the valve, then open it 4 turns and a quarter.

Spit into the pump head and work it in with the tip of your tongue. If you can raise a bit of phlegm from the back of your throat to introduce into the pump head, so much the better.

Now, with the Silca head, slip the head onto the valve and give it four turns and a slight push. Pump away. With the Japanese head, slip it over the valve stem, rock it twice, push once again, and close the lever. Pump away.

Honestly, this whole procedure sounds like rigamarole, and it is, but it is worth the performance gain. It sure beats the old days when we scrounged for the Shrader long-valves with external springs so that we could clip the spring post off to make it perform like a Presta valve. You don't know how good you've got things.

Don't drill your rims for Shraders. If you must have Shraders, get a Huffy.
Likes For JustinOldPhart:
Old 04-20-20, 12:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
If you think Presta valves are bad you've obviously never encountered the Dunlop valves I had on my early bikes. I'd also like to point out that the Schrader valve was invented by a German.
German-American

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Schrader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.