Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm a track bike nerd wanting to get into road cycling. But still kind of a luddite

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm a track bike nerd wanting to get into road cycling. But still kind of a luddite

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 10:37 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Saw one of these today when I came up to a guy stopped at a light. SWEET bike!!!!

You might also take a look at the CAAD series of bikes.
Those old OCLV Treks are cool, always been on my list of bikes I want. The one issue with early full carbon frames (so up to the end of the 90's) is they tend to be rather heavy. I got my brother a mid-90's Aegis frame, which is a company who made high end carbon frames from back in the day, and it was much heavier than expected. With fork and headset it weighed well over 5 pounds. My 1995 Klein Quantum II aluminum frameset, for comparison, weighs around 3 pounds, maybe a bit less. A 5+ pound frameset isn't the end of the world but it's something to keep in mind.

The Cannondales of the late 90's and early 2000's are on the top of the suggestion list from a few of us. For the OP, Cannondale is the same as CAAD [Cannondale Advanced Aluminum Design] if you haven't gathered that yet, folks often refer to Cannondales by that acronym. The number at the end of CAAD is basically the generation of that design, the higher the number, the newer it is.
Old 04-24-24, 07:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
... My Look does have a front brake
Good job telling us that your Look has a front brake but cutting it off in your photo.

The Saeco paint scheme is also gorgeous but I doubt I can lower myself enough for the original stem: Cipollini Saeco Cannondale Caad 4 — Velo Aficionado

Check out the guy who inspired me to find a CAAD4: sci guy's & SmellyAir's CAAD4 Bike Build Bromance - Bike Forums