Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 Ultegra Charging light goes off after few second and battery not charging

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 03:35 AM
acurusaragon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I try to charge my internal DI2 battery and the charger only lit up for few second and goes off . This resulted the battery not charging.

Tried to reconnect, replugged and few other power outlet . Also checked the junction box that it is all ok .

Still when I charged it the charger only lit for few second and not charging the battery .

Anybody have solutions to this ?

Appreciate it very much

-sam
Old 01-08-18, 06:33 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Which light is illuminated? There should be a charge light and a fault light. But if there is a fault, the fault light should remain illuminated, so I'm thinking the problem may be with the charger or one of the connectors.
Old 01-08-18, 06:57 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Is your battery already fully charged?
Old 01-08-18, 08:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The first step is to plug the system into E-Tube software and perform an error check.

Troubleshooting can begin from there.

-Tim-
Old 01-08-18, 10:04 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by TimothyH
The first step is to plug the system into E-Tube software and perform an error check.

Troubleshooting can begin from there.

-Tim-
Error check can only be done with a PCE1 IIRC...so first step is buying one as most shops don't own a debug interface
Old 01-08-18, 10:52 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Error check can only be done with a PCE1 IIRC...so first step is buying one as most shops don't own a debug interface
If the newer battery and WiFi unit, can you do an error check via the BT app ?.
Old 01-08-18, 11:11 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Not AFAIK.
Old 01-08-18, 05:57 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acurusaragon
Hi All,

I try to charge my internal DI2 battery and the charger only lit up for few second and goes off . This resulted the battery not charging.

Tried to reconnect, replugged and few other power outlet . Also checked the junction box that it is all ok .

Still when I charged it the charger only lit for few second and not charging the battery .

Appreciate it very much

-sam
So from some of the other replies... probably going to want more information.
1. What's the model number of the charger you're using, and what are you using as your power source? A USB charger with a .5W phone charger may not be sufficient to charge the Di2 battery.
2. What's the model number of the junction box and battery and do you have anything else that would let you access the system, IE: bluetooth adapter or a PC interface.

Without this, everyone on here is just going to be guessing.
Old 01-08-18, 06:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Which light is illuminated? There should be a charge light and a fault light. But if there is a fault, the fault light should remain illuminated, so I'm thinking the problem may be with the charger or one of the connectors.
Is your battery already fully charged?

-Tim-
You gotta love the purity and simplicity of bike riding.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-08-18, 06:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Not AFAIK.
From what I'm reading, the apps using BT (Android/iOS) have an error check mode in so far as it'll tell you there's a problem with a particular unit.

EDIT:, Here’s a screen shot from the iOS app. Of course if it’s the BT wireless unit that’s crapped, you’re not going to find that out
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-08-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 06:25 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You gotta love the purity and simplicity of bike riding.
Look at it this way, if the system fails while riding, you get to find out what single speed cycling is all about !
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-08-18, 07:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I should have said connection check and not error check earlier.

Sometimes a battery will disappear from the system. This happened to me once when the USB was disconnected from the bike while E-Tube software was running and actively accessing the system. E-Tube subsequently would not recognize the battery and the system was dead until the battery was completely disconnected and reconnected, effectively rebooting the entire system.

I'm open to any input but here is what I would do...

Hook it up to E-Tube and do an connection check. If any parts are not recognized by the system then stop. Disconnect E-Tube from the bike, disconnect the battery from the system and let the battery sit for a few minutes. Reconnect the battery and then reconnect E-Tube and perform a connection check again. If parts are recognized then try charging.

If it won't charge then try a different SM-BCR2 charger or a high amp charger port.

If parts are still not recognized by E-Tube or the battery still does not charge after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery then disconnect and reconnect all wires to all parts and perform a connection check and try charging again.

If parts are still not recognized or it will not charge then take it to a shop or find someone with an SM-PCE1 and do an error check. I do not see error check capability on the iPhone app version 3.3.2. The version page on the mobile app has a sentence about the "checker function" but I can find no such function in the iPhone version of mobile app.

If it is not possible to do an error check or the OP doesn't want to go to a shop then swap out parts for known good parts starting with the battery and then junction A and so forth. Don't neglect the wires. It helps to have a friend with a Di2 bike to use as a donor.

Make sure firmware is up to date on all parts as soon as E-Tube recognizes all the parts. Firmware is very important. Reflash firmware even if it is current just to be sure.

If it still doesn't work then take it to a shop with a Di2 certified mechanic. One of the guys at the REI near me is Di2 certified and I'd go for the training if it was open to the public.

My advice is always to do the easy and cheap thing first. @acurusaragon might want to try disconnecting the battery before anything else. That might just solve the problem.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-08-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 06:20 PM
ccrrar

Bikes: Calfee Luna Pro w/ full Campy Record, Trek Domane SL7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had this problem when the output amperage of the USB charger I was using was too low. Try different charger.

Rob
Old 01-10-18, 07:54 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I'm going to bookmark this thread to come back to in case someday I get an itch to go Di2. Here we are in the 21st century and turning a thing off is still a valid repair technique? Like we used to say BITD: "what the hell, IPL" (IBM) or more recently "when in doubt, power out".
Old 01-10-18, 10:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

From what I'm reading, the apps using BT (Android/iOS) have an error check mode in so far as it'll tell you there's a problem with a particular unit.

EDIT:, Here’s a screen shot from the iOS app. Of course if it’s the BT wireless unit that’s crapped, you’re not going to find that out

Are you running E-Tube on an iPad?

E-Tube 3.3.2 on my phone does not have an error check function.

All firmware on the bike is up to date as of Jan 1. Phone is iPhone 6 running IOS 10.3.2

-Tim-
Old 01-10-18, 10:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ccrrar
I had this problem when the output amperage of the USB charger I was using was too low. Try different charger.

Rob

This is a good point and aligns well with my advice to always do the easy and cheap thing first.

-Tim-
Old 01-11-18, 07:11 AM
Steve B.

Are you running E-Tube on an iPad?

E-Tube 3.3.2 on my phone does not have an error check function.

All firmware on the bike is up to date as of Jan 1. Phone is iPhone 6 running IOS 10.3.2

-Tim-
Yes, iPad. Note that it's not hooked up to anything, just showing the tutorial page. Wonder if Shimano put it in the tutorial then didn't activate it ?
Old 01-11-18, 07:32 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Yes, iPad. Note that it's not hooked up to anything, just showing the tutorial page. Wonder if Shimano put it in the tutorial then didn't activate it ?

I'd be interested to see if the iPad app actually has the error check button.

The screen shots I posted were taken as the iPhone app was actively accessing the Di2 system on my gravel bike.

-Tim-
Old 12-27-18, 11:12 PM
gregmick

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Ultegra Di2 2018

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a good point and aligns well with my advice to always do the easy and cheap thing first.

-Tim-
Good advice. I used a different usb plug and it fired right up. Cheers!
Old 04-15-19, 02:17 AM
valf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just commenting because I had a similar issue, it may help someone else.

Quite similar symptoms, charger would light up for a few seconds as if it was charging then the light would go off after few seconds.

Everything recognized just fine under etube app on PC.

Tried a whole bunch of USB ports and phone chargers without luck.

Junction box just blinking red as if the battery was flat, just impossible to charge the battery.

Installed a new battery (newer version), and it charged right away.
Old 04-15-19, 07:19 AM
BikinChris

Bikes: Independent Fabrication Independence, Cannondale Tandem, Trek 760 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Timothy is correct. You didn't disconnect correctly when you last unplugged it. Make sure you exit correctly. It's kind of like an Apple computer in that you should not unplug anything until you are told you can do it safely.
Going to a different charger can charge your battery. But you COULD drain your battery quicker than normal until the Di2 has been disconnected correctly from your computer.

Last edited by BikinChris; 04-15-19 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 07:54 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I'd be interested to see if the iPad app actually has the error check button.

The screen shots I posted were taken as the iPhone app was actively accessing the Di2 system on my gravel bike.

-Tim-
As far as I know, it's iPad only for error check. I wish the iPhone version had it.
Old 04-16-19, 01:19 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen two DI2 failures that friends of mine have had. Both, turned out, had defective chargers.

When replaced with a known good charger, the problems resolved themselves.

Incidentally, this was also the solution to get my Garmin to connect to my PC. The Garmin cables are different than standard USB cables, apparently.
Old 03-03-20, 03:18 PM
LetRip

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should have said connection check and not error check earlier.

Sometimes a battery will disappear from the system. This happened to me once when the USB was disconnected from the bike while E-Tube software was running and actively accessing the system. E-Tube subsequently would not recognize the battery and the system was dead until the battery was completely disconnected and reconnected, effectively rebooting the entire system.

I'm open to any input but here is what I would do...

Hook it up to E-Tube and do an connection check. If any parts are not recognized by the system then stop. Disconnect E-Tube from the bike, disconnect the battery from the system and let the battery sit for a few minutes. Reconnect the battery and then reconnect E-Tube and perform a connection check again. If parts are recognized then try charging.

If it won't charge then try a different SM-BCR2 charger or a high amp charger port.

If parts are still not recognized by E-Tube or the battery still does not charge after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery then disconnect and reconnect all wires to all parts and perform a connection check and try charging again.

If parts are still not recognized or it will not charge then take it to a shop or find someone with an SM-PCE1 and do an error check. I do not see error check capability on the iPhone app version 3.3.2. The version page on the mobile app has a sentence about the "checker function" but I can find no such function in the iPhone version of mobile app.

If it is not possible to do an error check or the OP doesn't want to go to a shop then swap out parts for known good parts starting with the battery and then junction A and so forth. Don't neglect the wires. It helps to have a friend with a Di2 bike to use as a donor.

Make sure firmware is up to date on all parts as soon as E-Tube recognizes all the parts. Firmware is very important. Reflash firmware even if it is current just to be sure.

If it still doesn't work then take it to a shop with a Di2 certified mechanic. One of the guys at the REI near me is Di2 certified and I'd go for the training if it was open to the public.

My advice is always to do the easy and cheap thing first. @acurusaragon might want to try disconnecting the battery before anything else. That might just solve the problem.

-Tim-
Perfect this is the equivalent of IT telling you to restart the laptop I guess, it worked, Thank you Tim
Old 08-11-22, 07:12 PM
Linus888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was the issue fixed?

Originally Posted by acurusaragon
Hi All,

Appreciate it very much

-sam

Hi SAM, have you manage to fix the problem? could you share to me how you fix it?
I experience the same problem that you had previously.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.