Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First Trike (19)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 09:02 AM
troxad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Trike (19)

I just bought my first Trike, and got it assembled and I'm looking forward to practicing on it tomorrow, I've tried for years with standard bikes but I just don't have the balance, however the youth group I used to go to had trikes and I personally found them easier to get on with.

I start university this year and am moving to Leicester and some things are two close for a bus but too far for me to walk ( joints say no) so I decided to finally get one, it's not the best quality but I thought it was best to buy cheap first, learn how to use it and then upgrade when it breaks.

I plan on decorating it with some fairy lights around the basket to improve its visibility as its a back mounted basket over the wheels also beads on the spokes because I can.
Old 07-24-23, 06:49 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
No to fairy lights - way too dim to be useful during the day

Instead of using fairy lights that will hardly be seen during the day, just buy an inexpensive pair of USB rechargeable bike lights. I presume with the town name of Leicester, you are writing from Great Britain. If you were here in the US I would have recommended using a pair of Lezyne clones that sell for $10 a pair on eBay, I'm sure you can find something like these where you live.https://www.ebay.com/itm/334440216135. You will not need to buy batteries as you would with the fairy lights. Also think about how easy it is to tangle and break the wire on fairy lights.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-24-23, 07:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Originally Posted by troxad
I just bought my first Trike, and got it assembled and I'm looking forward to practicing on it tomorrow, I've tried for years with standard bikes but I just don't have the balance, however the youth group I used to go to had trikes and I personally found them easier to get on with.

I start university this year and am moving to Leicester and some things are two close for a bus but too far for me to walk ( joints say no) so I decided to finally get one, it's not the best quality but I thought it was best to buy cheap first, learn how to use it and then upgrade when it breaks.

I plan on decorating it with some fairy lights around the basket to improve its visibility as its a back mounted basket over the wheels also beads on the spokes because I can.
Sweet- take some pics and post em up. A trike with rear facing basket, fairy lights, and beads on the spokes is quite the entrance to a new town and college.
Old 07-24-23, 07:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Light are Good for Day and Night Safety.
To Many?

Old 07-25-23, 12:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The OP can not post pictures as he has too few posts. If he posts the brand and model of the trike, one of us can show a picture of the trike without accessories.
Old 07-25-23, 12:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by troxad
I just bought my first trike, and ... I start university this year.
Bold.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-27-23, 10:31 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
You don't need too many lights if they're positioned so as to do their job. One good headlight is fine, and it helps if it has a flash mode for daylight.

On the back you want bright tail lights, and as much as possible, it helps to mount them so they define the size of your vehicle. On mine, I mounted them on the tops of my rear fenders; those two are lit steady at all times and the one in the middle flashes.

Likes For rollagain:
Old 07-27-23, 11:05 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Speechless
Old 07-28-23, 04:25 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I used to have a pic of the scooter from Quadrophenia to add to such posts .... I discarded it so y'all will have to do your own research (re: over-accessorizing ... )