Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Highway 20 2024 first ride report.

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 10:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts

I had to cut the ride short so I could get back to town for an online meeting so I didn't get to the snow like I had originally planned.

However, if you want to inspect the snow clearing operation you don't need to start in Newhalem like I did; You can drive as far as the gate at mile post 135 and ride all you want anytime Friday-Sunday until the highway opens to cars.

If you do start your ride in Newhalem, there is this thing:
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/145063776@N04/, on Flickr

After a while you will come to the Lake Diablo lookout with it's warm sunny weather and a ominous reminder that winter was here still very recently.

About 14 miles in at approximately mile post 35 you will be momentarily stopped by this gate next to a parking area for a recreational area.

I say "only momentarily" because just behind the gate closing the road for automobile traffic, you will see & read this sign:

It very plainly says no bicycle or pedestrian traffic during working hours. But, it also tells you working hours are Monday through Thursday 6am to 5pm. The meaning is clear: Friday through Sunday is time to party on!

The road beyond is clear and dry with the occasional bunches of snow remaining in the ditch and shady areas. There were several slides that road crews have cleared, leaving only the occasional rock or bit of gravel in the roadway. There are some deer in the area that will be a little alarmed but just look at you while you ride past in the oncoming lane giving due space to avoid conflict.

All in all, approximately 3500 feet in just shy of 40 miles and still didn't get to the snow clearing operation. Car traffic is more frequent than expected before the road closure. I don't really have an explanation for that other than maybe other people had Friday off as well and were looking to picnic or day hike in the woods.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-31-24, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,587 Times in 7,341 Posts
Brings back fond memories. WA 20 was my first western mountain riding experience. Did it the first time while crossing the country from Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME unsupported.

We spent a cold, wet night in Rockport after riding in the rain all day from Bay View. The next morning, I and another tour participant acted as “rabbits”, heading out early to secure sites at Colonial Creek Campground, which turned out to be sparsely occupied. Because it way only late May, the mornings were still cold. We stopped at the little store in Newhalem. Totally forgot about that locomotive. I do remember pressing the button to activate the tunnel lights and stopping at Diablo lookout. At Colonial Creek I saw a osprey catch a fish.

The next morning we started out early in freezing conditions. At some point before Rainy Pass, it started raining. The rain eventually turned to snow all the way to Washington Pass. There was so much snow plowed along the sides of the road that there was nowhere to pull off. My hands froze during the descent. I had to stop and warm them in my pants. After stopping in Mazama for a hot drink, I finally made it to the KOA in Winthrop. The thirteen of us went out for pizza that night and enjoyed a rest day the next day.

Going back to look for the rest after dropping gear.

Nervously awaiting the next day's climb.

Catching my breath after the hard section right out of camp.

Katy.

Jerry.

Nearing the summit of Washington Pass.

Lots of snow.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-31-24 at 06:08 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-01-24, 10:03 AM
busygizmo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I had to cut the ride short so I could get back to town for an online meeting so I didn't get to the snow like I had originally planned.

However, if you want to inspect the snow clearing operation you don't need to start in Newhalem like I did; You can drive as far as the gate at mile post 135 and ride all you want anytime Friday-Sunday until the highway opens to cars.

The road beyond is clear and dry with the occasional bunches of snow remaining in the ditch and shady areas. There were several slides that road crews have cleared, leaving only the occasional rock or bit of gravel in the roadway. There are some deer in the area that will be a little alarmed but just look at you while you ride past in the oncoming lane giving due space to avoid conflict.

All in all, approximately 3500 feet in just shy of 40 miles and still didn't get to the snow clearing operation. Car traffic is more frequent than expected before the road closure. I don't really have an explanation for that other than maybe other people had Friday off as well and were looking to picnic or day hike in the woods.
Thanks for posting this, need to try and get up there before the road opens.

How bad was the traffic between Newhalem and the gate?

I have only ridden this stretch once on an overnight to Mazama the back. On the way to Mazama we had an early start and traffic wasn’t too bad but on the return trip there were lots of agro drivers on that stretch without much of a shoulder. Real pretty but maybe not worth the hassle if busy.
Old 04-01-24, 12:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

busygizmo Traffic wasn't bad at all. It was hardly worth mention other than I didn't expect any at all. So any number greater than "zero" is exceeding expectations.

Totally do able and the cars were a non-issue. I did notice that I was passed by some of the same cars twice or more. So they were likely exploring various hiking trails or picnic spots along the way and we're well aware of my presence having seen me a time or two.

Given this year's snow pack, I don't expect there to be too many weekends available until the passes are open for full traffic. I think I may try again this coming weekend just to round out my sense of completion. It is a challenging endeavour, after all.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 04-01-24, 02:00 PM
busygizmo

base2
Thanks, that makes sense, not a whole lot on that stretch unless you’re a Seattle City Light employee. It sounds like they expect an early opening if the weather doesn’t change dramatically although it looks pretty challenging for riding this coming weekend.
Old 04-01-24, 03:02 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

I try to make something of an annual pilgrimage for this ride, but I generally start at the closure date, at MP 135. Based on your description, it sounds like you went 8-ish miles beyond the closure gate and did not encounter the end of the line for riding. Is that about right?

I did find the photo album that WSDOT published for this year's clearing operation. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/a...th/53590088326

It's supposed to be updated weekly every Friday, but I didn't see an update last Friday.

Last edited by imakecircles; 04-01-24 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Link not showing
Old 04-01-24, 09:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by imakecircles
Thanks for posting this!

I try to make something of an annual pilgrimage for this ride, but I generally start at the closure date, at MP 135. Based on your description, it sounds like you went 8-ish miles beyond the closure gate and did not encounter the end of the line for riding. Is that about right?

I did find the photo album that WSDOT published for this year's clearing operation. https://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/a...th/53590088326

It's supposed to be updated weekly every Friday, but I didn't see an update last Friday.
I'm not really sure if it was 8 miles beyond or not. That sounds about right? In all honesty, I was riding by time not mileage to ensure I got back to Internet in time for a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Either way, they are sure to have a bunch more done by the end of the week. If nothing changes, there's a chance we'll know exactly how far soon.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-07-24, 11:29 PM
base2 
I am potato.

I started today at Lake Diablo lookout, Just a short distance to the closure gate. The snow is on the road and no longer passable at mile post 153. All told 43 miles with 3235 feet elevation.

Oh, and I saw Mama & baby deer again. This time they freaked and bounded off in to the woods.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-09-24, 04:16 PM
busygizmo

Originally Posted by base2
I started today at Lake Diablo lookout, Just a short distance to the closure gate. The snow is on the road and no longer passable at mile post 153. All told 43 miles with 3235 feet elevation.

Oh, and I saw Mama & baby deer again. This time they freaked and bounded off in to the woods.
Thanks for the update again! Hoping the forecast stays nice for this weekend!

I’m a bit hesitant to make the 3 hour drive from West Seattle unless it’s going to be sunny and above mid-50’s.
Old 04-14-24, 12:16 PM
busygizmo

Wife and I made the drive up Saturday morning. Crowds and traffic fairly heavy until the gate. We parked at the Diablo Overlook and rode to Rainy Pass. Talked to a couple cyclists who had been on to Washington Pass. They said riders we’re coming up from the east side so you could have ridden all the way to Mazama. Think this will likely be the last weekend unless there’s large debris fields past where we rode. There were a few sections that will require further work that we saw. Lots of cyclists, in the hundreds I would estimate but you still had long sections of solitude. Definitely enjoyable day. Our early season legs didn’t have much left by the end but managed 50 miles and 4K feet of elevation gain.
If you could somehow plan it, it would have been a great weekend to ride over to Mazama Saturday and back on Sunday.
Likes For busygizmo: