Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BPPV and riding a bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BPPV and riding a bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 11:30 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BPPV and riding a bike

On wednesday, I had a severe attack of BPPV (benign positional vertigo) while at work; felt dizzy, accompanied by severe spells of nausea. Was barely able to drive home early. Puked 7-8 times that day. Saw the doctor, was given a med for the worst of the effects, and started doing the Epley maneuver. Now, 48 hours later, I can drive again, and have probably recovered about 80%. Hoping that during the weekend I recover completely, and get back to work for the new week.

What I'm wondering is this: How long should I stay off the bike?

Last edited by AlexCyclistRoch; 05-26-17 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 11:36 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
First of all I hope you feel better real soon. That is a question that I would ask your doctor and if you are uncomfortable with his/her advice I would get a second opinion. Good Luck.
Old 05-27-17, 08:35 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I had vertigo after a couple back to back heart surgeries. Scary sh&$. It slowly went away. I was fine if I stayed upright but bending over was touchy. I'd mimic your riding position and see how it goes. Doctors usually say " Take it easy" not worth asking.
Old 05-27-17, 03:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Could it be related to the dialysis? I remember it was very common even for our relatively healthier and stronger clients on dialysis to experience occasional bouts of dizziness, nausea and fatigue. Electrolytes get out of whack, too much fluid removed, etc.

Occasionally I experience similar symptoms but in my case it's due to pressure on the spine from a permanently damaged C2 vertebrae. I keep forgetting the name of the syndrome but it can cause my BP to spike with dizziness, crushing headaches, etc. Got it today, in fact, after enjoying a really good 40 mile group ride last night with friends. I was planning to take it easy today anyway since the temp is in the 90s and the feels-like is over 100. I need to re-acclimate to Texas summer heat gradually.

I know this suggestion comes up occasionally, but have you considered a recumbent to see if a different riding position helps? And if worse comes to worst, you won't have as far to fall! I may eventually try a recumbent myself if my neck pain and related symptoms worsen.
Old 05-27-17, 03:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
My wife has BPPV. She rides no problem. Do the Epley every day until when you do it, you don't feel dizzy. She goes months between needing to do the maneuver.

BPPV is caused by "stones," probably calcium deposits, in the inner ear which rattle around and make one dizzy. Quite common.
Old 05-27-17, 03:59 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorry, Canklecat, but I HATE recumbrnts with a passion. No, my symptoms are completely unrelated to my dialysis-my BP was actually a bit high. What I have is BPPV-look it up. It SHOULD clear up by itself, but.....
Old 05-27-17, 04:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a recumbent bike for riding if loss of balance is a problem. The idea that you are closer to the ground so will not get hurt as badly is bogus too. I've crashed on mine and watched other recumbent riders do the same. Yes, you generally crash to the side instead of going over the handlebars but you can get seriously hurt on a recumbent just like a regular bike. If you happen to fall into the path of traffic the recumbent makes no difference. Those of us who mostly ride trikes are really closer to the ground and much less likely to crash if we were to experience a dizzy spell. There is also the problem of cost. It turns off most people who express an interest. A guy was looking over my Catrike 700 this morning as I got back on it and when he asked about the cost, there was an instant loss of interest following my answer.

Edit: Saw your reply as I was composing this. Ever tried one or are you just opinionated?
Old 05-27-17, 04:56 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I wouldn't recommend a recumbent bike for riding if loss of balance is a problem. The idea that you are closer to the ground so will not get hurt as badly is bogus too. I've crashed on mine and watched other recumbent riders do the same. Yes, you generally crash to the side instead of going over the handlebars but you can get seriously hurt on a recumbent just like a regular bike. If you happen to fall into the path of traffic the recumbent makes no difference. Those of us who mostly ride trikes are really closer to the ground and much less likely to crash if we were to experience a dizzy spell. There is also the problem of cost. It turns off most people who express an interest. A guy was looking over my Catrike 700 this morning as I got back on it and when he asked about the cost, there was an instant loss of interest following my answer.

Edit: Saw your reply as I was composing this. Ever tried one or are you just opinionated?
Sorry for veering off..saw a Catrike in Southwest bikes last weekend...I WANT ONE!
Old 05-27-17, 05:15 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker

Both, actually. A 'classic' road bike is a masterpiece in simplicity; a recumbent is a collection of compromises.
Old 05-29-17, 02:00 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My wife has BPPV. She rides no problem. Do the Epley every day until when you do it, you don't feel dizzy. She goes months between needing to do the maneuver.

BPPV is caused by "stones," probably calcium deposits, in the inner ear which rattle around and make one dizzy. Quite common.
I had my one and only experience of BPPV while on vacation in France some years ago. I wondered what was happening to me: if I looked straight ahead I was OK, but if I looked up, everything began to spin. It's also known as top shelf syndrome!
The doctor who came to our apartment (yes, she actually made a house call!!) quickly diagnosed the problem and prescribed acetyl leucine (Tanganil), which I took (500mg) a couple of times during the day and the vertigo disappeared. Apart from a brief recurrence the next day, I haven't had it since. Tanganil is easily available in France over the counter and is very inexpensive, but when I tried to find it for a friend in the US, no-one had it. Reports of its efficacy vary, but it might be worth a try.
Old 05-29-17, 06:26 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,330 Times in 837 Posts
I went through a bout of vertigo, which occurred primarily as I was getting up out of bed. I cleared it up with a few repetitions of the Brandt-Daroff and Epley maneuvers, both of which are designed to enable gravity to manipulate the "rocks in your head." So far, it has not come back.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-29-17, 09:15 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Update: I'm still about 90% recovered, but having difficulty with descending stairs,especially with laundry. Went for a ride on my single-speed, and noticed 2 issues:

1) Balance is poor when I look down while riding.
2) Twisting my head from side to side (like at an intersection) causes dizziness. I have to keep my head motions to ±45°.

Otherwise, my rolling balance is good.

I'm ordering an eyeglass mirror, just in case I still have minor symptoms next weekend.
Old 05-29-17, 11:18 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 for using the mirror. I have balance issues, but they stem from Parkinson's disease and not a positional or non-positional vertigo. I was discharged in 1981 from the USAF flight program for having viral neuronitis (sp) that caused severe vertigo, each time my head got in a aft and rightward position it was lights out from the dizziness and spinning, tough to fly an aircraft with that to deal with. It was strongly positional, caused by a virus that gets into the inner ear canals. It is contagious and three others in my flight class' squadron were also discharged.

I have used the Take a Look mirror since 2012, rather be able to see, without trying to swing around with balance problems. Any ideas yet as to the cause of your vertigo? With the kidney dialysis you have to deal with this really sucks. Glad you were able to ride a bit.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-10-17, 03:58 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, 2 weeks later, and I'm back on the bike, but only on the MUT for now. Even there, I notice my rolling balance is a bit lacking, and things that used to be easy, like riding up to an intersection and unclipping, now are done a bit more reluctantly, and further from the line. Likewise, merging into traffic is still a bit difficult.

One thing that I used to do a lot was visually looking at my cogs/rings to see which gear I'm in; I can't do that now. I can barely look down at the cadence meter without wobbling off the road! I'm hoping that my recovery still has a bit more to go....
Old 06-10-17, 11:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Good to hear you're improving some.

Since I last posted to this thread I added a road racing bike to the stable. Yikes. Huge adjustment in adapting to balance and comfort. I've ridden about 10-15 miles every day this week on the road bike. On every ride when I hit a hard jolt I could feel it in my neck and experienced sudden bit of dizziness and seeing stars, but it passed quickly. That old C2 neck injury is always going to be a challenge.

So tomorrow I plan to cruise on the upright hybrid. Feels much more relaxed, better balanced and I don't need to concentrate on every little thing.