Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where should I look for a reliable chainguide for a large chainring (52T)?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 04:12 PM
Giffyguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm building a hybrid bicycle using a Specialized StumpJumper S-Works carbon frameset.

The drive-train is 1x12.
Wolf Tooth 52T cyclocross chainring, to beef up the top end gearing (chainring is compatible with SRAM Eagle 12-speed drive-trains).
10t-50t rear cassette, for ultra wide range.

I've found a lightweight aluminum bashring that fits 52T chainrings, so that's not an issue.

However, I need to find a reliable 52T 1x chainguide for 12-speed chains.

I'm not a huge fan of the chain guides that hang on the frame, and the StumpJumper has odd shapes in the frame bars, making this effectively impossible.

I remember, around a year ago, I found a rare and obscure 52/54T chainguide that mounted on the crankset/BB, but I don't remember anything else about it.

Where should I look for a top/bottom 1x chainguide, crankset/BB mounted, fitting 12-speed chains?

Last edited by Giffyguy; 03-23-17 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 09:36 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Unless "Giffyguy" is a code name for "Mario Cipollini", you will not be able to push a 52 x 10 gear.

That's why you're not seeing any chain guides that support a 52 ring, because no one (not even the pros) go 1x with a 52 ring.

I recommend you start with a smaller chain ring, and you'll find more options for chain guides.
Old 03-24-17, 12:26 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd look into a Narrow Wide chainring and forget the chain guide. Not sure what are the largest sizes available though...44T?
Old 03-24-17, 01:05 PM
Giffyguy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Unless "Giffyguy" is a code name for "Mario Cipollini", you will not be able to push a 52 x 10 gear.
... or unless I'm going downhill ...
I currently cruise in top gear, which bugs me to no end.
The entire purpose of this is to stay in the middle of my cassette more often, rather than at the extremes ... so of course the top gear is not going to be commonly useful.
It's there for when you need it, not for regular common usage.
I'm generally a top-end rider, so I need the most gearing range expansion in that area, without sacrificing too much in the low gears (bottom gear is still almost 1:1, and the SRAM XX1 Eagle rear derailleur can handle the stretch).

Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
That's why you're not seeing any chain guides that support a 52 ring, because no one (not even the pros) go 1x with a 52 ring.
Pros also don't use hybrid builds ...
This will not be the best cliff-climber, downhill carver, or tarmac shredder ... but the 1x 52T chainring is key in making it pretty dang good at all three.

Originally Posted by themishmosh
I'd look into a Narrow Wide chainring and forget the chain guide. Not sure what are the largest sizes available though...44T?
This is probably what I will end up doing for now.