Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good Lord. My previous bike is almost worthless.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 08:45 PM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Outdated.

Last edited by ManBearPig; 12-22-07 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 09:03 PM
dekalbSTEEL
Well, duh, Mr Obvious.

Bikes: see sig, and others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a link to that ebay listing? Cuz I found a few shops still selling them new for 1499
https://thebikerack.com/itemdetails.c...gId=39&id=4354

and 4 ebay auctions all well over that price

https://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQsocmdZ...list=a41%2Ca14
Old 06-21-06, 09:04 PM
Dickseacup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The value of my '05 Felt F55 is less than what I paid for it six weeks ago, if feeBay is to be believed. Let me tell you about my other money-losing hobby...guitars.
Old 06-21-06, 09:06 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it was crashed? Or just the frameset?
Old 06-21-06, 09:21 PM
ManBearPig
1/2 man,1/2 bear,1/2 pig

Bikes: .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah. Complete bike, didn't sell for 660. Other one still live is at around 500. Give or take, that's the street value. eBay is the true marketplace.

Mine is marginaly more valueable in that I bot it before the spec downgrade, so its like full ultegra, but that's still 9. wouldn't expect more than 700 on a good day.
Old 06-21-06, 09:37 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If $500 is "almost worthless", can you spare $500? Thanks, buddy
Old 06-22-06, 05:49 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Don't expect any new bike to retain their value. Components, especially the mid range like 105, Ultegra, non-Record, etc.), lose the most. People just don't want brifters, brakes, cables, and other parts that are worn. About the only parts that keep their value is the frame and maybe wheels.

If you want something that keeps value, buy a one or two year old Ti frame with DA or Record on eBay.
Old 06-22-06, 06:03 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Depending on your bike and its components, if you parted it out on ebay you might get more than the whole thing together.
Old 06-22-06, 06:25 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Towlie
Nah. Complete bike, didn't sell for 660. Other one still live is at around 500. Give or take, that's the street value. eBay is the true marketplace.

Mine is marginaly more valueable in that I bot it before the spec downgrade, so its like full ultegra, but that's still 9. wouldn't expect more than 700 on a good day.

eBay is not THE marketplace. It's just one aspect of it. Products get sold all the time cheaply on eBay yet the same products are being reguarly sold for considerably more in stores. That's also the "Marketplace". Reputation means a lot on eBay and powersellers and those with extensive positive feedback will do MUCH better than newbies. Honestly some nubie listings are SOO bad you wonder why they bother. Luck plays a big part too. A few weeks ago I picked up some quality knicks at very good prices. I tried to get some more the next week but the bidding was fierce with last minute bids.

So you will win some and lose some on eBay.

Regards, Anthony
Old 06-22-06, 06:47 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek Pilot 2.1 that I paid $1300 new less than a year ago and did $800 in upgrades to the componetry and can't even get a $1000 bite for it! Go figure! I will keep it if I can't get that. Would make a great starter bike for someone wanting nice Ultegra componetry.
Old 06-22-06, 06:52 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try Craig's List and also see if you have a CheapCycle location near you from Yahoo Groups. I use both. And, the local paper as well as a Bargain Mart Classifieds are good too. eBay is definitely not the only place. Plus, if you can sell it on one of the places I mentioned above, it is LOCAL ... no packing, shipping, or extra headache! I'd say you could get $750 to $900 out of it if you have patience.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 06-22-06, 07:17 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This is why I haven't bought a new bike since 1989. Much, much better deals to be had for used bikes.

55/Rad
Old 06-22-06, 08:36 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Having 2 bikes really is nice. Keep it as the second bike. Sounds like its worth more than $500 to you.
Old 06-22-06, 08:42 AM
alanbikehouston

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
E-Bay is not the best place to sell an 2005 road bike. Because of the vast amount of fraud, deception and general rip-offery that occurs daily in the E-Bay bike market, buyers are not willing to pay the same amount on E-Bay that they would be willing to pay for a bike that they were buying locally, from someone they trusted.

A 2005 bike in "like new" condition can bring about 70% of list price if you sell it locally to someone who has the opportunity to test-ride the bike, and to verify its condition, and that YOU are the original owner, and not a crook.

I have seen sellers on E-Bay also get that much for a used bike. But, they are sellers with a hundred or two hundred satisfied customers, whose ad includes large, sharp photographs, detailed descriptions, and an assurance that the bike will be professionally packed and shipped for a reasonable price ($40 to $70 being reasonable within the lower 48 states).
Old 06-22-06, 08:48 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by Dickseacup
Let me tell you about my other money-losing hobby...guitars.
Ha! I've got an original Steinberger L-2 monococque bass guitar that I bought new for $1900 in 1982 (back when, aside from Alembics, you couldn't pay more than a grand for a bass guitar if you tried). I believe I might be able to get $200 for that axe now. Maybe.
Old 06-22-06, 09:12 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had much better luck selling locally than on e-Bay. I find that if a buyer can get a good feel for the bike, it will get me a better price. I'll take them out for a test ride, waxing philosophical about what a sweet ride it is. They become emotionally involved and that usually seals the deal.
Old 06-22-06, 09:18 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Having 2 bikes really is nice. Keep it as the second bike. Sounds like its worth more than $500 to you.
+1....I sold one of my bikes and I kinda miss it even though I had no use for it anymore. I think I'll just keep the bikes I have and add on to the stable whenever I get the urge.
Old 06-22-06, 09:22 AM
josephvman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always done well on guitars, but I stick with old classic Fenders. Ducati's, on the other hand....
Old 06-22-06, 09:27 AM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sold mine locally on Craigslist for slightly more than I paid for it. I did lose a little on the wheels though so I guess it is a wash.
Old 06-22-06, 09:29 AM
Dusk
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
This is why I haven't bought a new bike since 1989. Much, much better deals to be had for used bikes.

55/Rad
I'm with 55/Rad.

Find the club rider that is your size and just has to have the latest greatest. Maybe I shouldn't be forwarding all the Web reviews of what I want to ride next year to him........
Old 06-22-06, 09:37 AM
Raleighroader
Raleighroader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A key factor too, is size. There are always quite a few people interested in a particular bike until they discover that it's not the right size, and let's face it, most bikes out there are not our own particular size. I think this makes it particularly hard to sell used bikes, as opposed to say, used guitars.

Another particularlity with road bikes is the drive train. Some people want standard doubles, while others want triples or compact doubles. It's so expensive to change out a drive train that most buyers of used bikes simply hold out for the set-up they want.

So now you have two highly individualistic variables, on top of the usual issues for used equipment, such as price, condition, brand name, and so on. No wonder it's hard to sell a used bike at anything close to its "value".
Old 06-22-06, 10:24 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely wouldn't sell that bike for anything less than $900-$1000. Hold on to it, and keep posting it on craigslist to see if you get any hits. This way, you don't have to worry about shipping.

I sold my other roadie last fall and I'm kinda pissed I did. I think having a second bike is good in case there's something wrong with your primary bike, or it's raining and you want to ride but not get the good bike dirty, have to go somewhere and needing to lock up the bike, etc.
Old 06-22-06, 10:33 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using my Trek 1500 as a racing bike (not gonna crash the nice bike) and will probably convert it to a commuter with racks or to a TT bike later this summer.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 06-22-06, 10:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Same here for the used bike thing. I bought my 2001 Bianchi Veloce for $650 which left me room in my $1000 budget for 2 new jerseys, pedals, and different size stem, saddle and bars (I fit bikes weird). I couldn't have gotten components near that quality in a new bike for under $1000.

I also think I will keep this as my rain bike when I buy a newer/better one... that is if I can convince the wife that I need a rain bike in a city that gets like 20 days of rain per year.
Old 06-22-06, 10:49 AM
Dickseacup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Ha! I've got an original Steinberger L-2 monococque bass guitar that I bought new for $1900 in 1982 (back when, aside from Alembics, you couldn't pay more than a grand for a bass guitar if you tried). I believe I might be able to get $200 for that axe now. Maybe.
Actually, you might be surprised. The all composite Steinies are much sought after. You would get far, far more than $200 for it. There's a Steinberger list on Yahoo!Groups where you'd be able to offload it rather quickly. If you still think it's only worth $200, I'll give you $300 shipped for it. Drop me a PM and we'll work out the details.

I had an '88 Steinberger GP4S (rock maple body, composite neck) that had been modified by the original owner into a 7S (two hums, single coil middle). The switching was funky; no tone, two volume (humbucker volume and single coil volume) and a three way (neck, neck-bridge, bridge). If you wanted to have just the single coil in the middle, you turned the bucker volume down. If you wanted to mix, you just sort of dialed in the tone you were after. I didn't like it at first, but by the time I got around to selling it, I had really grown to appreciate the flexibility it added. But, I digress. I had purchased the git for $600 and sold it a year later (to finance a G&L ASAT Junior, #15 of 250) for about $900. I could've gotten maybe another $100-$150 out of it, but didn't want to work that hard (80/20 rule). Not bad for a Steiny in non-original condition. Oh, and when I was selling it, I got reamed by some guy who couldn't believe I took pictures of it on concrete! Seriously reamed. Thing was, it was never on the concrete, it was resting on a folded up, white kitchen towel. People are passionate about their Steinbergers, though.

ObTopic: I don't think feeBay really represents true market value, either. If you consider the amount of fees being paid by the seller and buyer both (listing fees, closing fees, PayPal fees, etc.) they can amount to a significant percentage of the acquisition cost for anything bought on feeBay. It's like real estate and FSBOs. The prices are typically ower than homes sold through brokers because nobody has to pay the 6-8% commission. But, market value is set by your neighbor, so the FSBO home really isn't worth any less than the broker-sold homes in the neighborhood. Same with eBay. Add all those fees in, and I'll bet you come up with a final figure close to what a local seller would be expecting to get.

Or, maybe not. Now, go play that Steinberger and ride your bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.