Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I carry too much stuff?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 11:11 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts

I noticed that on major organized rides (century or more), I seem to carry more than others. Specifically, I clip on a seatpost rack, but few other people seem to need them and just ride with a seat bag. I'd like to ride lighter, particularly for the hilly rides, but am not sure what I have that I don't need.

Here is what fits in a seat bag for me: 2 tubes, 3 CO2 and inflator, glueless patches, small Park multitool, money, ID, car key, cell phone

Here is what I'll put on my seatpost rack that won't go in my seat bag: jacket, energy powder, maybe a digital camera or even an extra jersey. When I take the seatpost rack, I don't take the seat bag because everything will go on the rack.

I could put some of the powder in jersey pockets, but what do people do with clothing? If you're climbing more than a couple thousand feet or you're out for a long time when the weather willl change, you really need to be able to change what you wear. I don't like to ride with my jersey pockets bulging (uncomfortable), and I don't like to be dressed too warm for hours on end.

What am I doing that I don't need to?
Old 06-22-06, 11:20 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
1 tube, 1 CO2, patch kit , crank brothers multi tool should be fine for an organized ride. . If you're unlucky you can always find someone with a pump or a spare cartridge. As for clothing, if you need something for cold weather in the mountains, arm warmers and a very light vest should be sufficient in the summertime. The arm warmers can just be pushed down, and even if you take them off, arm warmers and shell vest don't take up much room in your pockets.
Old 06-22-06, 11:23 AM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a jacket in the summer months. In fact, in the cooler months, get rid of your jacket, and wear some arm warmers instead. You also don't need 3 CO2 cartridges, carry 2. Also, just carry 1 tube, for the 2nd flat, you can just use patches. With those gone, you can probably fit your camera and powder in your seat bag, and get rid of your rack.
Old 06-22-06, 11:24 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Century for Cypress -

Cell phone, 2 balance gold bars, house key, $5 bill.
Old 06-22-06, 11:28 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm a stuff carrier... and YES.... i do wear a jacket in the summer... a LOT when i travel to the coast or away from the desert! i prefer my jacket to arm warmers! plus it packs up a LOT smaller!

i have both an under the seat bag for my emergency items (tubes, CO2, etc) and then all the "need during the ride stuff" goes in my little handlebar bag!

i looked at rear seatpost racks before i got my handlebar bag.... don't let others dictate what you take... the important thing is that YOU are happy and comfortable on a ride! and if you need STUFF.... then by all means... take it!
Old 06-22-06, 11:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm like Cypress. Light, lighter, lightest.
Old 06-22-06, 11:39 AM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would say that the seatpost rack probably adds the most weight. Those things have got to be at least a pound of extra alum. A bigger seat bag, or a handlebar bag would probably be much lighter. But it's the curse of having luggage space, the more space you have, the more likely you are to fill it up with stuff. I would lose one of the tubes, and go with a minipump instead of the multiple CO2 cartridges. The rest should fit in a saddle bag, and then you could just roll up a lighter jacket and your food in your jersey. In the end it's always a trade off, do you want to go fast, or be comfortable and take pictures.
Old 06-22-06, 11:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
jacket, energy powder, maybe a digital camera or even an extra jersey.
I would get a camera phone in the event that I am on a ride where I absolutely must share the view with others. The energy bars should fit in your jersey pocket (I only carry one for every 25 miles in the ride). The last thing to decide is do you need the jacket and extra jersey (are you actually wearing them on the ride?) And if so, consider using arm warmers instead, and maybe a jacket that folds up really thin to store in a jersey pocket or an empty water bottle.

edit: forgot to mention that I only carry one tube. If I get a second flat I'll use the patch kit.

Last edited by urbanknight; 06-22-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 11:45 AM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to look into using a Bento box instead of having all the extra weight of the rack. It sits on your top tube and will be much lighter.

On long rides I use my saddle bag a carry two tubes, patch kit, cell phone, multi-tool, money and ID.

I stick some food in my jersey pockets and then carry extra Gu and bars in the bento box. More convenient and much lighter than any other alternative.

I picked mine up at REI for $12.

https://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
Old 06-22-06, 11:47 AM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a multi tool, 2 CO2 cartriges and the inflator, 1 tube, 1 patch kit, and tire levers in my seat wedge. I carry a cell phone, house key, money and ID in my jersey pockets. There is also a small air pump clipped to my frame.
Old 06-22-06, 11:49 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Learn to mooch without being a nuisance. You'll ride lighter.

A cell phone covers a multitude of problems.
$5 buys the rest.
Old 06-22-06, 11:51 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
I carry a tire, 2 CO2 cartridges, 1-2 tubes, a Park ~30 function tool (with chain tool), a $20, and two quarters in my seat bag.
Old 06-22-06, 11:57 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
I carry a tire, 2 CO2 cartridges, 1-2 tubes, a Park ~30 function tool (with chain tool), a $20, and two quarters in my seat bag.
WHat are the 2 quarters for - you know you'll never find a pay phone anymore?
Old 06-22-06, 12:07 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
What am I doing that I don't need to?

Originally Posted by GOOD-ish
seat bag for me: 2 tubes, 3 CO2 and inflator, glueless patches, small Park multitool, money, ID, car key, cell phone
how about a mini-pump, or a zefal frame pump, etc. 3co2's add up.

Originally Posted by SURPURFLOUS
Here is what I'll put on my seatpost rack that won't go in my seat bag: jacket, energy powder, maybe a digital camera or even an extra jersey.
extra jersey & powder is way overkill. what's wrong with vest/arm warmers? wear 'em, stick 'em in you back pockets, you're good to go.

what doesn't fit in the wedge, goes in the jersey pockets. for me, it's as simple as that

Last edited by botto; 06-22-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 12:36 PM
LA_Rider

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything more than a very small saddle bag = Fred.

Old 06-22-06, 12:39 PM
josephvman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LA_Rider

So I'm guessing the Weber grill makes me a Fred?
Old 06-22-06, 12:43 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by caligurl
i'm a stuff carrier... and YES.... i do wear a jacket in the summer... a LOT when i travel to the coast or away from the desert! i prefer my jacket to arm warmers! plus it packs up a LOT smaller!!
It sounds like a handlebar bag would serve me well on summer rides. Part of the reason I carry so much junk is that I ride year 'round, and I'm in the habit of lugging a lot of stuff in the winter.

It can be quite chilly at high altitudes or early in the morning. In Oregon where I do most of my riding, it is amazing how much the weather can change within 20 miles. We have mountains, valleys, and ocean in very close proximity so there are lots of microclimates.

On the jacket vs arm warmers issue, aside from packing nice and small, sometimes you actually need an extra layer -- particularly if you get caught in cool rain. I learned the hard way that it's OK to feel cold, but you don't want to be chilled on a long ride. I once got hypothermia (this was in the winter) and became too weak and dazed to ride. One of the interesting things about that experience is that I didn't actually feel cold.
Old 06-22-06, 12:46 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...What am I doing that I don't need to?
Everything usually depends on how long and far from home you're going to be riding. Proper group biking etiquette also requires that you come well prepared and not depend on others for tools, spares, food. A large part of that etiquette also requires that you know how to use the tools .

What you decide to carry may range from nothing just your ID, to rack with multiple large bags. Also depends on you're personality, carrying nothing and constantly dreading the possiblilty of a flat is no fun. So maybe you're doing just fine.
Old 06-22-06, 12:46 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Road Bike
In my seat bag:
· Two tubes
· Three CO2 cylinders
· Inflator
· Three levers
· Latex gloves
· Patch kit
· Multi-Tool
· Cell phone

I usually carry my wallet in the back zip pocket of my jersey.
My commuter bike has tons of storage so I'll carry a lot more stuff.
Old 06-22-06, 12:53 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
Proper group biking etiquette also requires that you come well prepared and not depend on others for tools, spares, food.

Big +1. Three weeks ago a guy shows up with his friend's Felt FC1 and a litre Mountain Dew bottle filled with water in the cage. First bump we hit, it fell out and was run over by at least 4 guys.
Old 06-22-06, 12:58 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by LA_Rider

Makes me tempted to hold onto the rack. Gettin' dropped by a Fred has got to hurt
Old 06-22-06, 01:00 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Big +1. Three weeks ago a guy shows up with his friend's Felt FC1 and a litre Mountain Dew bottle filled with water in the cage. First bump we hit, it fell out and was run over by at least 4 guys.
Too funny (though not for the rest of the guys). And I'm often asked why I've left a huge gap in the paceline while refusing to stay close to Mountain Dew's wheel
Old 06-22-06, 01:01 PM
Hambone

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by josephvman
So I'm guessing the Weber grill makes me a Fred?
Maybe, but your a Fred who will be invited to the Hambone Invitational Century.
Old 06-22-06, 01:08 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cypress
Century for Cypress -

Cell phone, 2 balance gold bars, house key, $5 bill.
No tools? Spare Tube?

Maybe for my next Century I'll leave my bike at home...That'll save me 17lbs or so .
Old 06-22-06, 01:10 PM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cell phones... wimps....

I'd hate to have to wait 30+ minutes for a friend and end my ride early because I didn't want to carry a spare tube or patches.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.