Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More comfortable in the drops?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More comfortable in the drops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 09:03 AM
josephvman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Katrogen
I feel more focused in the drops. Use them alot for aerodynamics.
It's easier for me to focus when in the drops too. On the hoods I look around too much, my mind wanders and I stop paying attention to smoothness. I've found that in the flat stuff (which is pretty much all there is around here) I'm 1-2 mph faster in the same gear with the same cadence when in the drops.
Old 06-24-06, 09:36 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by josephvman
I'm 1-2 mph faster in the same gear with the same cadence when in the drops.
How is that physically possible?
Old 06-24-06, 11:58 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
I get about 1 mph more from the drops at times. Often one more gear. I have my bars up to the saddle on some bikes. I would guess the higher bars make for more of an aero change when switching than lower bars do. ??

Edit: one more gear is the only way to keep the cadence the same and get about 1 more mph. As far as I know !!

I need more coffee.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 06-24-06 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 09:01 PM
mayukawa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He's comparing riding on bouncy roads versus smooth roads?
Old 06-24-06, 10:23 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I dunno.. I mean one more gear is fine. But he said same gear, same cadence, technically, unless you're coasting, it should be the same speed no?
Old 06-25-06, 09:26 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I dunno.. I mean one more gear is fine. But he said same gear, same cadence, technically, unless you're coasting, it should be the same speed no?
Yes.

Here's one possible guess as to what happens. There is a small cadence change that is not noticeable. The computer is about to change to the next number and it goes up one mph.
But, I think that is not likely. He probably means the same effort, he needs more coffee too. I've said worse things.
Old 06-26-06, 07:33 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slvoid,

Glad to know that I'm not alone feeling that way, and glad to know that "I'm not insane", as somebody once said to me for riding in the drops.

I'm no racer and in fact, if you had posted this in the "Touring" or "Commuting" forums, I would have replied sooner. My typical average speed is around 22-23 km/h over 80-100 km, with 2-3 km/h less if loaded, with kids... Still, I set the top of my handlebars about level with my saddle, have the lower part of the drops pointing down about 10 degrees and ride in the drops about 80-90% of the time. Why?

– Better wrist angle, I find.

– With wide handlebars, I just rest my hands on the bars. No need to grab them hard. And even when the road is bumpy (i.e. almost all the time around here), I don't loose my grip.

– Good control in crosswinds, even with unexpected gusts or when piloting the tandem + trailercycle.

– I feel much less stretched out then on the hoods. Actually, my only other position is on the tops, a position I mostly use to coast, when following my young daughter at 5-6 km/h, etc.

Apart from front-end simplicity, my preference for the drops is another reason why my preferred shifters are bar-end shifters.

P.S. Just to prove that we are in good company, I remember Sheldon Brown once wrote that "If you can't ride comfortably in the drops, it means the bars are too low".
Old 09-18-06, 05:06 PM
josephvman

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Resurrecting a lost thread here!

I guess logically that doesn't make much sense, until you throw the aerodynamic advantage in there. At my typical cruising speed in the low 20's, picking up 5-10% in the drops vs. the hoods because of the difference in drag is reasonable, I think. I focus more and don't take as many "breaks" in the drops, so though I think I'm spinning the same cadence, maybe I'm not as consistent when on the hoods.
Old 09-18-06, 05:13 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Headwind kicks in I tell myself, "Narrow and aero" as I settle into the drops. I like it. Actually, my favorite place for my hands in the drops is on the flat part, almost at the ends.
+ 1.

This is the most comfortable spot for my hands as well. Too bad it is probably as far from the brake levers as possible
Old 09-18-06, 06:44 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

And no it's not because I enjoy being bent over!
Yes it is.

I didn't know you ventured outside the Foo.

I enjoy riding in the drops for a while but I actually spend most of my time on the hoods or on the flats. I change it up as conditions dictate. I'll ride no hands while chomping on a Clif bar and swiggin' water. I don't stretch as much as I should so long term riding in the drops doesn't happen. I notice the TDF riders don't spend that much time in the drops, either.
Old 09-18-06, 07:20 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Me also...

Originally Posted by urbanknight
My hands are uncomfortable on the hoods, but my back is less happy in the drops.
Same with me, which is why I find myself switching back and forth fairly frequently.
Old 09-18-06, 07:27 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm on the hoods nearly all the time, unless I'm doing a pretty decent downhill.

I envy you guys who can ride in the drops for any longish duration.
Old 09-18-06, 10:42 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 915 Times in 277 Posts
I'm on the drops on all flats and all down hills. The hoods and flats are for the climbs. I'm 6'2 and there is a big aero difference from the hood to the drops. I've been trying the Floyd style of aero using the flats and tucking in alot to get the narrowness of it all and that kills me neck more then riding the drops. But damn that position is effective. Still trying to train my neck muscles to hold that for longer then 5 minutes. I get alot of headwind were I ride, so aero is the key.
Old 09-18-06, 11:26 PM
campeck944
new biker

Bikes: this one...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noob question...i figure a drop is the curvy part where the brakes are..and the hood is at the top. but then someone mention hood, drop AND a top...help!! what are they?

thanks!
Old 09-19-06, 12:14 AM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campeck944
noob question...i figure a drop is the curvy part where the brakes are..and the hood is at the top. but then someone mention hood, drop AND a top...help!! what are they?

thanks!
The drops are the curved parts of the bar that drop down below the shifter. The hoods are the rubber-coated bodies of the shifters/brakes themselves and the tops, or flats, are the flat and straight portion of the bar that attaches to the stem and end at the curve towards the shifters.
Old 09-19-06, 01:14 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I hate my drops. I spend 95% of the time on the hoods and tops. Drops for downhills or seriously hIllacious headwinds.

My saddle is still too low and my gut still too big and I end up not being able to breathe deeply while in the drops. Can't get the bars higher (I didn't cut the fork) and I like the smaller frame size....oh well...I can get lower on the hoods than a lot of guys can in the drops...

Old 09-19-06, 03:05 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by toshi
It's probably a fit-related issue more than anything.
+1
Old 09-19-06, 07:55 AM
Cyclist0112
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey!

You think you've got it bad, I'm 0 degrees in the drops with a visor on my helmet.

Cycling isn't too bad compared to wrestling, 2 guys in spandex groping each other, or football, some guy bending over so some other guy in tight spandex can reach around to his nuts.
I was a center in high school and its not as bad as it might look. As long as you wear a cup! I suppose there are two reasons for that: one the quarterback doesn't want to touch your nuts, two have you ever snapped a ball as hard as you can directly at your nuts?!

Oh and I prefer to mix up the riding position depending on what I'm doing at the time. If I'm really working hard I'll be in the drops but that limits my air intake a little bit. So after working hard for awhile I like to put my hands on the hoods to relax for a bit.
Old 09-19-06, 09:30 AM
vantassell
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're more aero in the drops....so 1 more mph due to less drag. That's what i thought he was talking about..?
Old 09-19-06, 12:17 PM
eandmwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwbnyc
I was getting killed by headwinds, so; I spent some time getting my position in the drops really comfortable. I set my bars a little below my saddle - about a cm - and finally tripped over a saddle that really fits me well. There seems to be less pressure on my lower back in addition to getting down out of the wind. The saddle is the main thing: it's really comfortable in the drops. Also, getting the saddle position dialed - reach, height and tilt - has helped immensely. Anyway, I can stay down in the drops indefinitely now.
+1. I've been playing around with saddle tilit, and tilted it a tad too far down in the nose. I spent the ride wracking my arms holding myself up. I'll see how it feels tomorrow tilited back a bit.
Old 09-19-06, 12:26 PM
eandmwilson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I've been trying the Floyd style of aero...
Perhaps you need a shot or two of man juice to keep that neck limber? Go truly "Floyd", so to speak?
Old 09-19-06, 12:30 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmhaan
i don't use my drops as much as i should because the bars are too wide for my shoulders. it feels like i'm going in to give someone a hug. that'll be my next upgrade, i need 42cm wide bars.
I got 38 cm bars if you need 'em.

[e] I didn't realize this thread was so old!

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-19-06, 12:38 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyossarian
I got 38 cm bars if you need 'em.

[e] I didn't realize this thread was so old!
ah, yeah, i actually got the correct size bars about 4 weeks ago. much much better!

38!!! that is really narrow!!
Old 09-19-06, 01:14 PM
mimis
3 summits of Athens

Bikes: SCOTT AFD/KLEIN MANTRA/BMC SSX Streetfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
My biggest issue with riding in the drops is neck pain. I find myself straining to look up. And, yeah my stem is flipped up, so that's not the issue. I can ride in the drops for 20-30 min before I start getting that twinge in my neck.
my problem exactly...