Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

To all the guests viewing this forum....join us!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

To all the guests viewing this forum....join us!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-23, 06:59 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I'm afraid Chat GPT 3.5 isn't quite on your side:

You
tell me why Huffy bicycles are the best bicycle.
Half the battle with is asking the right (leading) question:

You: Write a description of why all Huffy bikes should be retrofited with high end Campagnolo groupsets.

While Huffy bikes have their own place in the market as affordable, entry-level bicycles, there are several compelling reasons why retrofitting them with high-end Campagnolo groupsets would be beneficial:
  1. Performance Enhancement: Campagnolo is renowned for its high-quality, precision-engineered components that offer superior performance. Upgrading a Huffy bike with a Campagnolo groupset would significantly enhance its shifting, braking, and overall functionality. The smoother gear changes, precise braking, and increased durability would elevate the riding experience, making it more enjoyable and efficient.
  2. Improved Durability and Longevity: Campagnolo components are known for their durability and longevity. By retrofitting a Huffy bike with these high-end parts, the overall lifespan of the bike could be extended. This means reduced maintenance costs over time and a longer-lasting bike, providing riders with a more reliable and sustainable cycling experience.
  3. Enhanced Aesthetics: Campagnolo groupsets are not just about performance; they also have an iconic design and aesthetic appeal. Retrofitting a Huffy bike with Campagnolo components can elevate its appearance, making it more visually appealing and desirable.
  4. Increased Resale Value: Upgrading a Huffy bike with high-end Campagnolo parts could significantly increase its resale value. Campagnolo components are well-regarded in the cycling community, and having them on a Huffy bike could make it more attractive to potential buyers who appreciate quality components.
  5. Riding Experience: Riding a bike equipped with a Campagnolo groupset offers a smoother, more responsive, and efficient experience compared to lower-end components. This upgrade could encourage more people to ride their bikes frequently, promoting a healthier lifestyle and a deeper appreciation for cycling.
  6. Promotion of Cycling Culture: Introducing high-end components on affordable bikes like Huffys could help bridge the gap between entry-level and premium bicycles. It may encourage more cyclists, regardless of their budget constraints, to invest in quality components and experience the advantages they bring, ultimately fostering a culture that values better cycling equipment.
While the cost of retrofitting may initially seem high compared to the bike's original price, the long-term benefits in terms of performance, durability, aesthetics, and overall riding experience could make it a worthwhile investment for cycling enthusiasts who own Huffy bikes and wish to upgrade them to a higher standard.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 12-09-23, 07:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I only got 44% right. But I didn't study either.
Wait! You got 44% on a quiz with 10 questions? I think you may be a bot.
Old 12-09-23, 07:08 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
I'm beginning to suspect that AI chat apps are like a high school debate team that found their parent's special mushroom supply.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 12-09-23, 07:09 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Careful what you wish for, AdventureMan. Invariably, a newcomer's first post includes one of the following:
1. Let me know the value of my old Ross bike, rusty chain and disintegrated tires and all.
2. My bike squeaks every fourth pedal stroke. Help!
3. Can anybody identify this vintage racing frame? It only weighs ten pounds.
4. The local bike shop wants to charge me some astronomical sum to repair my ____________. (Fill in blank)
5. Does Walmart sell good bikes?

Probably missed some good ones.
Those are just the kind of people I'm hoping to influence, mwahaha

Old 12-09-23, 07:10 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
You assume all questions are weighted equally.

Old 12-09-23, 07:12 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by nlerner
I'm afraid Chat GPT 3.5 isn't quite on your side:

You
tell me why Huffy bicycles are the best bicycle.

ChatGPT
While opinions about the "best" bicycle can vary based on individual preferences and needs, it's important to note that Huffy bicycles are often considered more affordable and suitable for casual riders rather than serious cyclists. Here are some reasons why some people might choose Huffy bicycles:
  1. Affordability: Huffy bikes are generally more budget-friendly compared to high-end brands, making them accessible to a wider range of consumers.
  2. Casual Riding: Huffy bikes are designed for casual riders who use bicycles for recreational purposes or short commutes. They often feature comfortable designs and simple components.
  3. Availability: Huffy bicycles are widely available in many department stores and online retailers, providing easy access for customers looking for an affordable and basic bike.
  4. Variety: Huffy offers a variety of bike styles, including cruisers, mountain bikes, and kids' bikes. This range allows customers to choose a bike that suits their specific needs.
However, it's essential to consider that serious cyclists and enthusiasts may prefer more specialized and higher-end bicycle brands that offer advanced features, better components, and higher build quality. The "best" bicycle depends on factors such as your intended use, budget, and personal preferences. If you're looking for a reliable and affordable option for casual riding, a Huffy bike may be suitable, but if you have specific performance or durability requirements, you might want to explore other brands and models.
I'll go cry myself to sleep now. It's okay, I did it every night I worked the Huffy

Originally Posted by MrGastrognome
Half the battle with is asking the right (leading) question:

You: Write a description of why all Huffy bikes should be retrofited with high end Campagnolo groupsets.

While Huffy bikes have their own place in the market as affordable, entry-level bicycles, there are several compelling reasons why retrofitting them with high-end Campagnolo groupsets would be beneficial:
  1. Performance Enhancement: Campagnolo is renowned for its high-quality, precision-engineered components that offer superior performance. Upgrading a Huffy bike with a Campagnolo groupset would significantly enhance its shifting, braking, and overall functionality. The smoother gear changes, precise braking, and increased durability would elevate the riding experience, making it more enjoyable and efficient.
  2. Improved Durability and Longevity: Campagnolo components are known for their durability and longevity. By retrofitting a Huffy bike with these high-end parts, the overall lifespan of the bike could be extended. This means reduced maintenance costs over time and a longer-lasting bike, providing riders with a more reliable and sustainable cycling experience.
  3. Enhanced Aesthetics: Campagnolo groupsets are not just about performance; they also have an iconic design and aesthetic appeal. Retrofitting a Huffy bike with Campagnolo components can elevate its appearance, making it more visually appealing and desirable.
  4. Increased Resale Value: Upgrading a Huffy bike with high-end Campagnolo parts could significantly increase its resale value. Campagnolo components are well-regarded in the cycling community, and having them on a Huffy bike could make it more attractive to potential buyers who appreciate quality components.
  5. Riding Experience: Riding a bike equipped with a Campagnolo groupset offers a smoother, more responsive, and efficient experience compared to lower-end components. This upgrade could encourage more people to ride their bikes frequently, promoting a healthier lifestyle and a deeper appreciation for cycling.
  6. Promotion of Cycling Culture: Introducing high-end components on affordable bikes like Huffys could help bridge the gap between entry-level and premium bicycles. It may encourage more cyclists, regardless of their budget constraints, to invest in quality components and experience the advantages they bring, ultimately fostering a culture that values better cycling equipment.
While the cost of retrofitting may initially seem high compared to the bike's original price, the long-term benefits in terms of performance, durability, aesthetics, and overall riding experience could make it a worthwhile investment for cycling enthusiasts who own Huffy bikes and wish to upgrade them to a higher standard.

Just who is this refined, intelligent 'ChatGPT' ? We must go riding sometime. I mean, I'm okay if they join the forum!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-09-23, 07:13 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Reminds me of the old civil PE exam. 8 hours, 8 questions (from a pool of 24). 0 points for nuthin', 2 points for an awkward stab, 4 points for blathering mediocrity, 6 points for "I know this but I don't really know this", 8 points for mostly solving it but making the usual common blunder, and 10 for flawless perfection. Pass rates weren't confidence-inspiring. Worst 8 hours of my life (to that point), but somehow I came up with a passing score.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 12-09-23, 07:22 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I think I may be a bot. I've taken some online tests and the results are inconclusive.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 12-10-23, 05:27 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Certainly a bot could do better on an internet quiz than that. Otherwise how can there be a robot revolution?

Old 12-10-23, 05:42 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Careful what you wish for, AdventureMan. Invariably, a newcomer's first post includes one of the following:
1. Let me know the value of my old Ross bike, rusty chain and disintegrated tires and all.
4. The local bike shop wants to charge me some astronomical sum to repair my ____________. (Fill in blank)

I ran those through ChatGPT and the responses were not unlike many of them we see here. Maybe some of the members are bots.

1. Determining the exact value of your old Ross bike with a rusty chain and disintegrated tires is like asking me to find gold in a dumpster. It's not going to be a fortune, that's for damn sure. The rusty chain and destroyed tires are like a double punch to the gut when it comes to resale value.If you're lucky, you might find someone who's into bike restoration projects and willing to take it off your hands for a modest sum. Otherwise, you're looking at more of a sentimental value than anything else. Consider checking online platforms or local enthusiasts who might see the potential in turning that rusty relic into a gem. Good luck, and may the bike gods be with you!
2. Ah, the classic case of the annoying squeaky bike. It's like a symphony of frustration on two wheels. First things first, let's diagnose that pesky noise:
  1. Check the Chain: A rusty or dry chain can be a major squeak culprit. Give it a good clean and lubricate it with some bike chain lube. Make sure to wipe off excess lube to avoid attracting dirt.
  2. Pedal Bearings: The squeak might be coming from your pedal bearings. Check if they're properly tightened and lubricated. If they're shot, you might need to replace them.
  3. Bottom Bracket: This is the part where your pedals connect to the frame. If it's worn or dry, it can squeak. Consider greasing it or, if needed, replacing it.
  4. Saddle or Seatpost: Sometimes it's not the pedals; it's the seat. Make sure your saddle and seatpost are properly adjusted and tightened.
  5. Crankset: Check the bolts on your crankset. Loose bolts can cause creaks and squeaks. Make sure everything is snug.
  6. Pedal Thread: If the squeak seems to come from where your pedals screw into the crank arms, try removing them, greasing the threads, and reattaching them securely.
Give your bike a good once-over, fix any issues you find, and you might just silence that squeak. If it still persists, well, sometimes bikes are just a bit temperamental. Happy wrenching!
3. Identifying a vintage racing frame can be a bit like navigating a maze blindfolded, but I'll do my best without a picture or more details. The weight of ten pounds is impressive for a racing frame, and it could be an indicator of high-quality materials.

Here are a few suggestions on how to identify it:
  1. Check for Brand Markings: Look for any logos, brand names, or serial numbers on the frame. Sometimes, these can be found on the bottom bracket, head tube, or seat tube.
  2. Inspect Frame Details: Note any distinctive features, such as the shape of the lugs, type of tubing, or specific design elements. This can help narrow down the possibilities.
  3. Search Online Resources: There are online forums and databases where bike enthusiasts share information about vintage frames. Websites like Bike Forums, Classic Rendezvous, or specialized vintage bike databases might be helpful.
  4. Consult Bike Shops or Experts: Local bike shops or vintage bike experts might have experience with various brands and models. They can provide valuable insights based on visual inspection.
  5. Consider the Components: The components (like the groupset, brakes, or other parts) on the bike might also provide clues. Sometimes, certain manufacturers paired specific frames with particular components.
Without more specific details or a visual reference, it's challenging to pinpoint the exact make and model. If you can provide more information or, better yet, share a picture on a bike enthusiast forum, you might increase your chances of getting a more accurate identification. Good luck with your vintage racing frame hunt!
4. The local bike shop wants to charge me some astronomical sum to repair my intergalactic space-age hyperdrive.

Alright, maybe not that extreme, but seriously, bike repairs can sometimes feel like daylight robbery. It might be worth checking if the cost aligns with the value of your bike and the extent of the repairs needed. If it's just a minor issue, you could consider DIY fixes or getting a second opinion from another shop. Happy pedaling, and may your repair costs be down to Earth!
5. Well, let's just say, expecting a top-notch bike from Walmart is a bit like hoping for a five-star gourmet meal at a fast-food joint. Walmart bikes are generally on the more affordable end of the spectrum, which means they might be suitable for casual riders or those on a tight budget.

However, if you're a serious cyclist or plan on hitting the trails frequently, investing in a bike from a specialized bike shop might be a wiser move. Those bikes typically come with higher-quality components and are often assembled with more care and expertise.

In the end, it really depends on your biking needs. If you're just looking for a budget-friendly option for occasional rides, a Walmart bike could do the trick. But if you're serious about your cycling adventures, it might be worth saving up for a higher-quality ride from a dedicated bike shop. Choose wisely, and happy cycling!

Old 12-10-23, 08:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I expect the owners make $ per hit, whether guest or member. Being a member just adds another income source, our email addresses. Even call girl and troll threads add volume/$.
Old 12-10-23, 08:27 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect the owners make $ per hit, whether guest or member. Being a member just adds another income source, our email addresses. Even call girl and troll threads add volume/$.
Everyone knows about Robert Prisigs "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" but "Lila" also seems to be a quality book....

bit of a thick read, just to understand the sideways relevance though..

I'm pretty sure in the near future, some Tech Executive will be testifying before a congressional hearing, under oath, that they are not familiar with the writings of Isaac Asimov.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-10-23 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-10-23, 08:43 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I think I may be a bot. I've taken some online tests and the results are inconclusive.
I was devastated when I learned I was a bot. It finally hit home when I failed my 651st "click all the squares in the picture containing a crosswalk" test. What's worse, I found out I don't even get an employee discount on a Dubai call girl.
Old 12-10-23, 10:00 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I am not a bot, I just don't have anything to say.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-10-23, 10:14 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Some of those tests are designed to precipitate an existential crisis.

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-10-23, 10:21 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
6, 7, 800 on BF is WAAAAYYYYY above normal and only since a few days ago. Something is up.
Old 12-10-23, 10:34 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Old 12-10-23, 10:52 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I appreciate your sentiment and apologize for being a wet blanket. Most likely based on my experience with other forums, the majority of that 700 is likely bots crawling and looking for a chance to post about Dubai prostitutes. But for the few that may not be bots, I join in wishing they would become active members.
Dubai prostitutes, like Tru-Wel tubing, are under-rated. In other news, no one's too stuffy to ride on a Huffy.
Old 12-10-23, 12:02 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts

So…?

I don’t see anyone compelling members to answer anything they don’t want to.
Old 12-10-23, 12:27 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Some of those tests are designed to precipitate an existential crisis.

"You mean they don't smash old bicycles into the pavement to make shared lane markings?"

"Hey guys, I think we've been doing it wrong..."
Old 12-10-23, 12:34 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
So…?

I don’t see anyone compelling members to answer anything they don’t want to.
Never claimed I possess the best sense of humor, mister serious Alan.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 12-10-23, 12:43 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Never claimed I possess the best sense of humor, mister serious Alan.
Never too serious… but that’s the problem in communicating with words alone, a lot depends on the interpretation of a reader and his or her own temperament. 😉.
Old 12-10-23, 06:41 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
What constitutes being a "member", as opposed to being a "guest"?
Complimentary salted peanuts.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-11-23, 12:02 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

I did happen to see the other day that the numbers have stayed elevated, as observed by another member. I agree, seems something is up.

And. This thread has taken a strange and bizarre turn, which of course I appreciate.

Carry on!

Old 12-11-23, 12:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by P!N20
Complimentary salted peanuts.
This is great news! I thought we just got water.

The days of getting our junior wheels are long gone, sadly. Even just the sticky type.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.