Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight cottered cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-23, 05:29 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I recently was given a couple very nice Stronglight steel cottered cranks. I was waiting for a project to use them on when I got my hands on a Gitane Interclub that was donated to the Bike Exchange. I thought it would be a nice upgrade to the Somewhat less well finished crank on the bike. After stripping the bike and regreasing the spindle bearings I went to install the crank arms only to find that they didn't fit, being a mil to large in diameter. Pulling out about a dozen old spindles I had in the shop I tried all of them on the Stronglight crank and they were all a hair too large for the Stronglight cranks. I then went in to the Bike Exchange and pulled out all the cottered spindles we had. I found at least 3 distinct diameters among them. Luckily I got 2 that fit the stronglight cranks. Most were larger and one was even smaller than the stronglight.

Does anyone have any further info on this topic. I also found 2 different spindle lengths in the pile with different offsets right and left. I had assumed that since all cottered cranks were for double chainrings and 120 mm dropouts they would all have the same profile.
Old 12-11-23, 05:59 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

there are two main diameters for cottered spindles:

British & Metric

Brit is 5/8" / 15.88mm nominal / 15.75mm actual

Metric 16mm nominal, 15.9mm actual

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-11-23, 09:36 PM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
left. I had assumed that since all cottered cranks were for double chainrings and 120 mm dropouts they would all have the same profile.
Don’t forget about the many single chainring cottered cranks found on 3 and 5 speed roadster style bikes. Lots of those produced from many different countries of origin. Spindle length could vary on these single chainring models also.
Old 12-11-23, 11:52 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I would guess that near the arm size of the crank there is an "A". That means it is for an English (Anglais) spindle. Example below:

I came across the same issue.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 12-12-23, 10:17 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Here's what Sutherland's (4th ed.) has to say about cottered bottom bracket axles:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cottered-axles.pdf (602.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-12-23, 10:44 AM
bbbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
The "A" is for acier (steel) and 49 "D" indicates "duralumin" (alloy)
Likes For bbbob:
Old 12-13-23, 08:28 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
there are two main diameters for cottered spindles:
British & Metric
Brit is 5/8" / 15.88mm nominal / 15.75mm actual
Metric 16mm nominal, 15.9mm actual
-----
I did not know that, despite having a Sutherland's right here. I presume that, over the years, I just got lucky and never ran into a mismatch.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Here's what Sutherland's (4th ed.) has to say about cottered bottom bracket axles:
That's a lot more detail than my 1974 edition has!

Old 12-13-23, 09:17 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Originally Posted by bbbob
The "A" is for acier (steel) and 49 "D" indicates "duralumin" (alloy)
Not correct in this application. The "A" is for Anglais or English spindle. The "A" is by the arm size, not the model number. The model 45, which is the pic I shared, did not appear in a Duraluminum model. So there is/was no need to indicate a steel or Duraluminum model. Your statement is correct when applied to the 49 model, but the crank in question is cottered and the 45 is the only Stronglight model that used 50.4 BCD and is cottered

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-13-23, 09:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
My experience is limited, but I think all of the 3 pin cottered Stronglight cranks I have messed with are from 70's Raleigh Super Courses. I have no idea wether a Raleigh spindle is compatable with French cups, but that would be the first thing I would try
Old 12-13-23, 09:47 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

mfr catalogue page of 1958 -

-----
Old 12-13-23, 10:29 AM
bbbob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I've never seen a Stronglight cotter crank or spindle that wasn't "anglais" size, so why would they need to mark it as such? It's the Italian stuff that uses the larger diameter "metric" spindles in my experience.
Old 12-13-23, 11:38 AM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Originally Posted by bbbob
I've never seen a Stronglight cotter crank or spindle that wasn't "anglais" size, so why would they need to mark it as such? It's the Italian stuff that uses the larger diameter "metric" spindles in my experience.
Using your logic, why would they need to mark a Stronglight 45 as steel (A) when that is the only way it was produced? What you say may hold true for other Stronglight cottered cranks. . As ISO, French, and Italian spindles are nominal 16mm, it would make sense to mark the oddball English diameter. The pic I shared is of the first Stronglight 45 I bought for a French project bike. It did not fit. Did some due diligence and learned about the different spindle sizes. Also learned the meaning of the "A". Sold the first set and now have a set with no "A" that work.

And remember, gotta love the French.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 12-18-23, 11:24 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks for all thr info on cottered cranks. I work on more of these than I want to. I am tempted to buy a cotter press if they were affordable . luckily the Bike Exchange has one I can use.

Here are a couple pictures of the bike I wanted to put the Stronglight crank on, an early 70's ? Gitane Inter club . Gotta love that purple paint. I was going to put yellow bar tape on it but the cheap tape we had broke when I was wrapping the bars. I am not sure what the proper way is to wrap bars without hoods.

So here are the pictures. For its age the bike was in very good condition. The decals were almost completely intact. I only changed the front and rear derailleurs for something a bit more durable. I also swapped out the sew up rims for clinchers and gave it bar end shifters. We have a ton of them at the shop and I think they are easier and safer to use than down tube units. no looking down every time you shift.

Last edited by capnjonny; 12-18-23 at 11:27 AM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 12-18-23, 03:57 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I also found 2 different spindle lengths in the pile with different offsets right and left. I had assumed that since all cottered cranks were for double chainrings and 120 mm dropouts they would all have the same profile.
Another variant to be aware of is cranks for touring or utility bikes had more room between the crank and the chainring, to allow fitting a chainguard aka pants guard. Racing-oriented cranks have less room there to keep the "tread" ("Q-factor") as narrow as they can. So for the same chain-line, the race crank uses a shorter spindle.

I think some vintage track cranks don't even have room for a derailer cage between the chainring and the crank, so they can't really be adapted to a 2x drivetrain. Narrow tread was a selling point to racers, especially pre-WWII.
Likes For bulgie: