Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 10:25 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
"

This is what happens if your not there when the bikes arrive. Warmer today so I'll strip it here...
Someone trying to make a 'bent'?
Old 02-15-24, 10:32 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
"

This is what happens if your not there when the bikes arrive. Warmer today so I'll strip it here...
-----

cudak888 would have this in perfect alignment in no time

fancy Marchetti e Lange equipment not required

-----
Old 02-15-24, 10:58 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

and dat's dat....
Old 02-15-24, 08:43 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
The OP did say the seat stays were crushed and that he got it for the parts.
In my rush due to lack of time I didn't see that part
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-23-24, 05:25 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
I saw this on a local fb bike group a minute after it was posted and was off like a rocket.

It's a Grand Sport! Beausaged to hell. 1973 based on the Brooks date code.

I took it home and started breaking it down. The seatpost, surprisingly, came free. So did the pedals and stem, which has no cracks at the square corners of the expansion slot. Red C (for Carlton?) seatpost binder, and the white Carlton hoods are dirty but neither cracked nor sticky. I threw the delrin Simplex shifters and derailleurs away. Not touching the cranks until I have access to my Wera hex wrenches, which I hope will remove the caps without damaging them. Normandy hubs, worn-out 5 speed TDC freewheel, rims in good shape, the Mafac Racer on the back has suffered some inappropriate hardware substitutions. The headset has been replaced at some point with a Hatta Vesta.

The bad:

Both seatstay caps have these edges which are rusted through. My best guess is that they were barely brazed on in the first place. I'll probably clean the rust up and fill the cracks with JB weld.

Also a big ding on the top tube.

This frame is too trashed to flip or restore IMO. I think I'm going to build it up as a singlespeed coaster-brake beater with fattish 700c tires and use it for a loaner; if and when I do I'll post it in the Grand Sport thread. If anyone wants the freewheel, hubs, pedals, Brooks guts, or handlebars, let me know and you can have them for the cost of shipping, or as trade for a set of North Road-ish handlebars.
Likes For eeuuugh:
Old 02-24-24, 03:56 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
I saw this on a local fb bike group a minute after it was posted and was off like a rocket.

It's a Grand Sport! Beausaged to hell. 1973 based on the Brooks date code.

I took it home and started breaking it down. The seatpost, surprisingly, came free. So did the pedals and stem, which has no cracks at the square corners of the expansion slot. Red C (for Carlton?) seatpost binder, and the white Carlton hoods are dirty but neither cracked nor sticky. I threw the delrin Simplex shifters and derailleurs away. Not touching the cranks until I have access to my Wera hex wrenches, which I hope will remove the caps without damaging them. Normandy hubs, worn-out 5 speed TDC freewheel, rims in good shape, the Mafac Racer on the back has suffered some inappropriate hardware substitutions. The headset has been replaced at some point with a Hatta Vesta.

The bad:

Both seatstay caps have these edges which are rusted through. My best guess is that they were barely brazed on in the first place. I'll probably clean the rust up and fill the cracks with JB weld.

Also a big ding on the top tube.

This frame is too trashed to flip or restore IMO. I think I'm going to build it up as a singlespeed coaster-brake beater with fattish 700c tires and use it for a loaner; if and when I do I'll post it in the Grand Sport thread. If anyone wants the freewheel, hubs, pedals, Brooks guts, or handlebars, let me know and you can have them for the cost of shipping, or as trade for a set of North Road-ish handlebars.

SWEET SAVE!!!

Got a torch? That would be a fantastic one to learn some brazing on. The rust would need to be cleaned up, but I would be wanting to give it a go. Also, Paul Brody (youtube) has a good vid on filling in dents with the torch too. At this point, the burn spots would enhance the paintwork!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-26-24, 12:41 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
SWEET SAVE!!!

Got a torch? That would be a fantastic one to learn some brazing on. The rust would need to be cleaned up, but I would be wanting to give it a go. Also, Paul Brody (youtube) has a good vid on filling in dents with the torch too. At this point, the burn spots would enhance the paintwork!
But if I fix the frame, I won't be able to justify keeping it!

I watched Paul Brody's video and I do have some friends with a shop space that is capable of that work. I just don't have the time to go down the rabbit hole with this frame right now. Maybe I'll hold off on the JB weld though so I can get around to it "someday".
Old 02-26-24, 12:56 PM
clongwill
ChristopherL

Bikes: '62 Peugeot PA 10, '73 Peugeot UO8, '74 Peugeot UE8 (converted to UO8 look alike), '75 Peugeot UO8, Peugeot Ventoux PH501, '7? Sekine SHS 271, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '86 Centurion Elite RS, '87 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
SWEET SAVE!!!

Testing out brazing would be interesting. But why even bother with the dent with the possibility of making it worse and screwing up the paint?
Old 02-26-24, 08:24 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 1981 Fuji S12-S Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
I found this frame rotting in the barn of a local bike builder who is going to find a set of wheels and drivetrain and give a it new cables, etc. to get it rideable and I'm pretty stoked. It's from an 81-83 Fuji S12-S 18-speed, and while what I'm getting from the builder will probably be a bit of a franken-bike, my plan is to slowly turn it into a more faithful rebuild. Any tips on sourcing parts, etc. are appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
img-1780.jpeg (1.37 MB, 715 views)
Likes For jemaleddin:
Old 02-26-24, 09:48 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by jemaleddin
I found this frame rotting in the barn of a local bike builder who is going to find a set of wheels and drivetrain and give a it new cables, etc. to get it rideable and I'm pretty stoked. It's from an 81-83 Fuji S12-S 18-speed, and while what I'm getting from the builder will probably be a bit of a franken-bike, my plan is to slowly turn it into a more faithful rebuild. Any tips on sourcing parts, etc. are appreciated!
https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/19...-no-13-edition
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-26-24, 10:38 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

There is a lot going on in that picture! Good save. Had an S10-S for a while. Good bike. Fuji's are good quality.

Old 02-27-24, 04:32 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Thanks! I'm now going over all the pictures I can find of original and rebuilt versions to see what I can do.
Old 02-27-24, 04:35 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

There is a lot going on in that picture! Good save. Had an S10-S for a while. Good bike. Fuji's are good quality.
I am VERY excited. I've never ridden a mixte, but he threw some wheels on it and it fit me JUST SO. My last steel road bike was a Sears Best "Tourney" that I spent two years of allowance on in 5th grade, so this will be a big upgrade!
Likes For jemaleddin:
Old 02-27-24, 05:58 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
I am VERY excited. I've never ridden a mixte, but he threw some wheels on it and it fit me JUST SO. My last steel road bike was a Sears Best "Tourney" that I spent two years of allowance on in 5th grade, so this will be a big upgrade!
There is nothing like riding a bike that fits well. I have an S12-S LTD that I refurbished. It fits perfectly and rides great. I almost ordered a Sears bike for my first ten-speed, but my dad took me to a friend's bike shop and I got a Kabuki instead. Almost 50 years later, I finally got a Sears bike, their top-of-the-line Reynolds 531 Free Spirit. I wanted mostly it for the nostalgia. I actually like the Fuji better.
Old 02-27-24, 06:06 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Originally Posted by Pompiere
There is nothing like riding a bike that fits well. I have an S12-S LTD that I refurbished. It fits perfectly and rides great. I almost ordered a Sears bike for my first ten-speed, but my dad took me to a friend's bike shop and I got a Kabuki instead. Almost 50 years later, I finally got a Sears bike, their top-of-the-line Reynolds 531 Free Spirit. I wanted mostly it for the nostalgia. I actually like the Fuji better.
OH WOW. It somehow never occurred to me that any of those old Sears Best bikes would still be around, given how I rode my one-step-up-from-the-bottom bike basically into the ground. I bought it and then made friends with a bunch of kids with BMX bikes who wanted to ride on trails, so I took my 10-speed over all the rocks and roots it would handle.

Glad to hear you like your Fuji better - otherwise I'm making a huge mistake! 😀
Old 02-28-24, 03:55 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
A Fuji is never a mistake.
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-28-24, 09:03 AM
marnar

Bikes: 70's Gitanes TDF; MB-3, '63 JC Higgins, Centurion Pro Tour 15, 80's Guilbilato, and a couple of Rex's

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Agree curb tender old catalogues are the best.
Sourcing, try bike coops
Looks like the bike is rather complete and many parts may be original. Research will confirm one way or the other.

Good luck
Likes For marnar:
Old 02-28-24, 11:55 AM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Yeah, the handlebars are original, apart form the Grab On foam, as are the the Dia Compe brakes/levers and Suntour shifters/derailleurs. All it really needs is... all the parts that make it go: chainrings, cranks, pedals, cassette, wheels, tires....

I am pretty sure that "Rob" won't be able to source original parts for most of that, but maybe over time I can!
Old 02-28-24, 01:49 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

OH WOW. It somehow never occurred to me that any of those old Sears Best bikes would still be around, given how I rode my one-step-up-from-the-bottom bike basically into the ground. I bought it and then made friends with a bunch of kids with BMX bikes who wanted to ride on trails, so I took my 10-speed over all the rocks and roots it would handle.

Sears had a few decent models. Around the '64-'65 time period, they had their 'Sport Racer' type bike, which actually had Campagnolo Record components, believe it or not. It was made by Steyr I believe, in Europe. Sears was famous for putting their name on subcontracted goods - same thing w/ 'Craftsman'...made by Emerson, Parks, Syncro, etc. Jim Merz has detailed a story in which he used one of these bicycles (I think it was a '64 model, maybe before the Campy component spec) to take a bike trip w/ a relative, I believe from the Northwest down to Cali or something similar.

The '65 (?) Sport Racer I have is a lovely bike. It is not a high end bicycle, and while it has some low end features (crimped/pressed seatstay caps, stamped dropouts, etc), it has internal cable routing, chrome accents, and a good component spec - especially for '65. The frame by itself weighs around 2500g, which is not in 'racing' territory, but decently outside of normal dept store bike territory for weight (think 2700g+). I have no idea what the tubing is. Probably some sort of hi-tensile something-or-other, but not bad. The 531 framed Steyrs that Sears sold that Pompiere is referring to is the only version I know of, released in or around 1974.

Here is my '65, currently disassembled for cleaning/upgrading:

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 02-28-24 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-28-24, 03:17 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Sears had a few decent models. Around the '64-'65 time period, they had their 'Sport Racer' type bike, which actually had Campagnolo Record components, believe it or not. It was made by Steyr I believe, in Europe. Sears was famous for putting their name on subcontracted goods - same thing w/ 'Craftsman'...made by Emerson, Parks, Syncro, etc. Jim Merz has detailed a story in which he used one of these bicycles (I think it was a '64 model, maybe before the Campy component spec) to take a bike trip w/ a relative, I believe from the Northwest down to Cali or something similar.

The '65 (?) Sport Racer I have is a lovely bike. It is not a high end bicycle, and while it has some low end features (crimped/pressed seatstay caps, stamped dropouts, etc), it has internal cable routing, chrome accents, and a good component spec - especially for '65...
So what I'm taking from this is that if I had bought the top of the line Sear Best "Suteki" (and had another 2 years of allowance saved up), I might still have a nice bike!

https://christmas.musetechnical.com/...r-Catalog/0508

Also, your bike looks great, but I'd get that back brake looked at! 😉
Old 02-28-24, 03:42 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Sagging bars, worn decals, pitted chrome socks, shot chrome headlugs, missing spokes. We got issues. But there was a lovely picture of one around here that was my inspiration, w/ new rims, a replacement Campy NR derailleur...the bike was ace. I'm very surprised, but actually the hub bearing races actually look okay! So I can rebuild the wheels, upgrade the rear to NR, and it should be a nice ride. I don't know yet if I will go for a full on restoration or not. Its going to wear the patina for a while, for sure. But that won't stop me from some upgrades, new shoes, cables, etc. Really, I just want to bring a Sears bike to a group ride amongst all the De Rosa's and Eddy Merckx's.

Old 02-28-24, 06:48 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
So what I'm taking from this is that if I had bought the top of the line Sear Best "Suteki" (and had another 2 years of allowance saved up), I might still have a nice bike!

https://christmas.musetechnical.com/...r-Catalog/0508

Mine is at the bottom of this page: 1974 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 976 - Catalogs & Wishbooks (musetechnical.com)

and this is what it looks like today:

1974 Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit with Reynolds 531 frame

I found it last year at a thrift store for less than lunch for me and my wife. Mainly, it just needed some TLC to get it ready to ride.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 02-29-24, 09:53 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Finally got my Raleigh USA Team 753 Technium tidy and ready to ride today.
Not easy to find a 753 bike under $100, even if it is glued together straight gage!

I consider the top end Techinums road or MTB to be under rated and some of the best mass produced bikes every made. They have a really great ride quality and the fit and finish is excellent.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 02-29-24, 01:36 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Mine is at the bottom of this page: 1974 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 976 - Catalogs & Wishbooks (musetechnical.com)

and this is what it looks like today:

1974 Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit with Reynolds 531 frame

I found it last year at a thrift store for less than lunch for me and my wife. Mainly, it just needed some TLC to get it ready to ride.
I like that it has the original red dust caps online at the evil place there likely worth more than the bike complete great job.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 03-02-24, 09:38 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
First "fail" of 2024 and Momma's not impressed.

After acquiring the Falcon I said no more bikes this year but......

I just got back home from a 200 mile morning cruise with this one owner 1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix in 23.5" which in itself was no temptation but it was topped with a pretty decent brown Ideale 90 saddle which I needed and the asking price was less than half what I've seen the saddles advertised for. Seller had owned it since new but hadn't ridden it in years. He is moving halfway across the country early tomorrow morning and didn't have room to take it with. The saddle is going on my Peugeot PKN-10, I'll freshen up the rest of the bike and see how it fits and rides, then I'll decide if it's a keeper or not. All in all it's in pretty decent original condition and should clean up very nicely but it was at the far edge of my bike buying territory and had it not been for the price and that saddle I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.