Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Power Shifters on braze-on bosses - done.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 02:02 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts

Flatten out the shifter band and drill out the back of the boss where it is riveted into the band.
Stop when you just get the point of the drill into the circular base of the boss, then it should punch out and leave you a nice flat(-ish) surface.
Dress the surface with a file and make the edges of the impressed lines distinct - they are very useful as guides later on.
Cut a slot in the back of the boss so it slips over the braze-on boss.
- I used a hacksaw and files and a good vice.
- I cut a slot in the end of an M5 screw and threaded it and a washer into the boss from the lever end, so the the washer would catch the underneath of the vice jaws and I could tighten it with a screwdriver from above; this to keep it tight down against the jaws.
- You have to be careful to make the slot parallel and square and just the right width and depth; check with the end of the other boss, that's what you want to match.
- When you have the slot just right drill out the threads of the boss with a 5mm drill, and find yourself a longer M5 screw, then put t together.
- Left as exercises for the reader:
a) make a filler bit for the gap next the frame;
b) make a (pair of?) travel stop(s).

Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-07-23, 02:37 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
That's a beautiful-looking bike; what is it? As far as filling in that gap, I remember there being flat aluminum washers meant as brake caliper spacers. I was going to suggest the curved version, but it seems like you can adapt what you have to what you need.
They look like this... but I can't find a direct source right now.

Last edited by Bianchi84; 12-07-23 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-07-23, 02:52 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I wonder if the different Suntour Power Shifter thumbies might provide some of the bits needed. I stole these pics from Velobase.

Last edited by bark_eater; 12-07-23 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 12-08-23, 10:11 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Is there anything now preventing the lever from swinging down into the wheel and preventing free steering movement?

Does a lever stop not also help prevent one's hand from moving too close to the gap atop the tire under the fork crow?

I hope that I am missing something and that the installation does offer some lever-stop function(?).

Did Suntour not offer a braze-on version of these levers? (Guessing not).

I'm suddenly feeling luckier to have come across a good few retrofriction levers for sale in the wild (where the clamp-on ones are the more scarce!).
Old 12-08-23, 10:22 AM
oneclick 

No, there are no travel stops (as yet - but see last part of original post...)
Old 12-09-23, 05:28 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
That's a beautiful-looking bike; what is it?
Sannow - this one:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-japanese.html
Old 12-09-23, 06:07 PM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
While I appreciate the ingenuity here and love the feel of Suntour Power, I'm not as fond of their appearance. Why not use the DiaCompe reproductions? All the clicks, none of the Q factor issues... or does that take all the fun out of this project? I picked up a pair to replace my power shifters (as they look more like the original shifters on my Team Fuji) but haven't found a clamp I can mount them to yet.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 12-10-23, 12:06 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGastrognome
While I appreciate the ingenuity here and love the feel of Suntour Power, I'm not as fond of their appearance. Why not use the DiaCompe reproductions? All the clicks, none of the Q factor issues... or does that take all the fun out of this project? I picked up a pair to replace my power shifters (as they look more like the original shifters on my Team Fuji) but haven't found a clamp I can mount them to yet.
Especially since later shifters had finer ratchets.