Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Bike Computer Help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need Bike Computer Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-20, 09:04 AM
Jamie1978

Bikes: FUJI Roubiax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Bike Computer Help

So I am new to biking. I am a fairly decent runner, average 7:45 mile pace. Getting into biking to add it to my training on my recovery days. Done my first bike ride two weeks ago, 1# miles, 13 pace. Wanting to increase my speed and cadence so now I'm looking at bike computers. I am a fan of garmin. I have the forerunner 235 and 635 watch which I use for running. I used the 635 for my bike ride which wasn't bad but it's hard to keep up with your pace with a watch so I'm now want a bike computer. I found a garmin edge 305 for $50 that's Almost brand new on offer up. Is it still worth it or should I look at something newer. Would like to stay on the $75-$100 range. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-20, 09:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How much do you want it to do?

If all you care about is how far and how fast you are riding, that's one thing. If you want something that will tell you when you're oat sea level and record your rides for you to check back at three years from now, that's something else. I'd jpersonally ump at that $50.00 deal and pay another $25.00 for a handlebar mount if I needed it.
Old 01-30-20, 09:53 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How much do you want it to do?

If all you care about is how far and how fast you are riding, that's one thing. If you want something that will tell you when you're oat sea level and record your rides for you to check back at three years from now, that's something else. I'd jpersonally ump at that $50.00 deal and pay another $25.00 for a handlebar mount if I needed it.
Power meter doesn't matter so much. I would like to have something that I can use for heart rate and can link to a cadence sensor by Bluetooth or ant+, preferably both.
Old 01-30-20, 10:05 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie1978
Power meter doesn't matter so much. I would like to have something that I can use for heart rate and can link to a cadence sensor by Bluetooth or ant+, preferably both.
Not going to be able to help you with what-all you need to do that. I'm a non-apologetic Retro Grouch.
Old 01-30-20, 10:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Add $100 or so for the HRM strap (I prefer Wahoo straps because I can actually change the blinking user-serviceable battery!) and cadence sensor.
Old 01-30-20, 10:16 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Add $100 or so for the HRM strap (I prefer Wahoo straps because I can actually change the blinking user-serviceable battery!) and cadence sensor.
It actually has a cadence sensor with it. I have a garmin heart rate strap already but wasn't sure if the edge 305 supported heart rate sensors.
Old 01-30-20, 11:01 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Would you buy a flip phone that's almost new?

Things move fast w/ electronics & older stuff is often not supported.

The Edge 130 is the current version of what you are considering & would be a better choice.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-30-20, 11:19 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Would you buy a flip phone that's almost new?

Things move fast w/ electronics & older stuff is often not supported.

The Edge 130 is the current version of what you are considering & would be a better choice.
I get what your saying, but I'm not looking for all the features. Heart rate really isn't all that important either, I'll have that on my watch. Would like something that would record Cadence and speed with a speed sensor rather than just GPS. What about the Bryton Rider 15E, I am looking at it as well.
Old 01-30-20, 11:51 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I get what your saying, but I'm not looking for all the features. Heart rate really isn't all that important either, I'll have that on my watch. Would like something that would record Cadence and speed with a speed sensor rather than just GPS. What about the Bryton Rider 15E, I am looking at it as well.

You get all the features whether you want them or not, in order to hopefully have the basic functions without hair-tearing frustration,

but also one or two features may be appreciated as time goes on.

I've mainly used Garmin 500, & now Elemnt Bolt. Almost all of the bells & whistles are turned off, but the Bolt turns on faster, has better GPS, & (usually) uploads wirelessly.

Just getting the data on the screen in a readable way, and no to minimal lost data are the priorities for me.

Quite a few folks just use a watch on the bike. The investment in set up and adaptation outweighs the $ investment so cheap upfront cost may not be a bargain.

To get into the weeds on product choice, go here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Old 01-30-20, 12:43 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I said the same thing. Then I discovered how much I hated wearing a watch when riding. I have a Garmin watch and with my hands on the bars and my wrists bent I keep pressing the side buttons accidentally.

I have a Wahoo Roam with their Tickrx HR strap. No actual speed sensor. I had a Garmin 520 with a speed sensor before that. When I got my Wahoo I compared them and the speed just from GPS on the Wahoo was almost identical. The Tickrx HR strap also calculates cadence. I assume from body movement. It's very accurate. I have an old fashioned wired cadence sensor on my trainer bike and the HR strap gives me the same cadence as the sensor.
Old 01-30-20, 02:41 PM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ended up ordering the Xoom G+ unit from Amazon. If I end up not liking it then I'll just send it back and try again. A guy I run with who bikes as well suggested it and ironically it had a flash sale going on for $34. Now all I need is a cadence sensor
Old 01-31-20, 02:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ended up ordering the Xoom G+ unit from Amazon. If I end up not liking it then I'll just send it back and try again. A guy I run with who bikes as well suggested it and ironically it had a flash sale going on for $34. Now all I need is a cadence sensor
XOSS G+? I got a couple of those earlier this month. Only needed one but a couple of days later they had a flash sale for $25 so I got a second for the other road bike.

Setup via the smartphone can be a bit of a PITA, but it works fine once set up. The developer is active on Facebook and responds to user posts, complaints, etc. The app has already had an update since I bought it.

It's the least expensive computer I could find with GPS/GNSS compatibility, and that's compatible with both my older ANT+ only sensors (2012 era Wahoo speed/cadence unit, wired together, driven by magnets), and newer Bluetooth/ANT+ stuff -- Wahoo Tickr, XOSS convertible speed/cadence sensor (induction, no magnet needed).

No navigation aids. It just records our routes and data (accurately so far after several rides of 15-40 miles). I can stop and use my phone for navigation if needed.

Some users complain it takes too long to get a GPS lock, but I've found it helps to turn on the unit as soon as I think about going for a ride. Just turn it on, but don't actually start a ride/GPS lock yet. By the time I'm dressed and ready it'll usually sync with GPS as soon as I actually press the start-ride button outside.

Afterward, to transfer ride data from the XOSS G+ to the phone, I find it helps to keep the two devices as close together as possible. It'll connect more reliably and transfer data quicker, than if the bike and computer are across the room.

Not bad for about the same money as a CatEye computer with no GPS tracking or ability to transfer ride data.

I'm waiting to see some reviews of the Bryton 420, and to see if the price drops. But the XOSS will do for now.
Old 01-31-20, 04:21 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
It actually has a cadence sensor with it. I have a garmin heart rate strap already but wasn't sure if the edge 305 supported heart rate sensors.
According to Garmin the 305 originally came with a heart rate sensor. My experience with a 705 would suggest it's quite agnostic about the HRM but will only work with the Garmin GSC-10 combined speed and cadence sensor, whereas new ones work with pretty much any Ant+ device. The 305 is pretty old now, though. Unless you've found one that's barely used I'd be inclined to go with something newer. I now have a 320 plus and it locks on to satellites an order of magnitude faster plus instantly downloads rides using BlueTooth, rather than having to plug into a computer.
Old 01-31-20, 07:02 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
XOSS G+? I got a couple of those earlier this month. Only needed one but a couple of days later they had a flash sale for $25 so I got a second for the other road bike.

Setup via the smartphone can be a bit of a PITA, but it works fine once set up. The developer is active on Facebook and responds to user posts, complaints, etc. The app has already had an update since I bought it.

It's the least expensive computer I could find with GPS/GNSS compatibility, and that's compatible with both my older ANT+ only sensors (2012 era Wahoo speed/cadence unit, wired together, driven by magnets), and newer Bluetooth/ANT+ stuff -- Wahoo Tickr, XOSS convertible speed/cadence sensor (induction, no magnet needed).

No navigation aids. It just records our routes and data (accurately so far after several rides of 15-40 miles). I can stop and use my phone for navigation if needed.

Some users complain it takes too long to get a GPS lock, but I've found it helps to turn on the unit as soon as I think about going for a ride. Just turn it on, but don't actually start a ride/GPS lock yet. By the time I'm dressed and ready it'll usually sync with GPS as soon as I actually press the start-ride button outside.

Afterward, to transfer ride data from the XOSS G+ to the phone, I find it helps to keep the two devices as close together as possible. It'll connect more reliably and transfer data quicker, than if the bike and computer are across the room.

Not bad for about the same money as a CatEye computer with no GPS tracking or ability to transfer ride data.

I'm waiting to see some reviews of the Bryton 420, and to see if the price drops. But the XOSS will do for now.
Yeah it seems to have everything I'm looking for. Also sorry about the typing error it is a xoss G+ and like you said I can use my phone for navigation. As far as Strava, do you know if it's Strava compatible. It states that it is but some reviews said it will not sync. I'll have my watch on as well so that's not a huge deal.

Last edited by Jamie1978; 01-31-20 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-31-20, 07:33 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
According to Garmin the 305 originally came with a heart rate sensor. My experience with a 705 would suggest it's quite agnostic about the HRM but will only work with the Garmin GSC-10 combined speed and cadence sensor, whereas new ones work with pretty much any Ant+ device. The 305 is pretty old now, though. Unless you've found one that's barely used I'd be inclined to go with something newer. I now have a 320 plus and it locks on to satellites an order of magnitude faster plus instantly downloads rides using BlueTooth, rather than having to plug into a computer.
The unit is pretty much brand new. The guy hasn't rode in 10+ years after a back injury and he only logged 3 rides with the 305. My only concern was the transfer part and what Heart rate sensor would be needed. I don't want to have to plug into a computer to transfer data, I'd rather have something that links to my phone and automatically sends the info once I complete my ride the way my Garmin watches do. That's one of the reasons I was wanting to get a garmin, haven't had any bad experience with my watches other than one time it froze up on me at the starting line of a 5k. Only time I raced without a watch and I ended up PR the race at 21:10.

The Xoss G+ says it links to Strava, it would be awesome if that's true because it has everything I'm looking for and only $34.99. If I end up getting more competitive, which knowing me probably will happen and I feel like it's not doing what I need I'll get something more expensive or with more features. Plus got it through Amazon so I'll know before 30 days if it's what I want or not.
Old 01-31-20, 07:53 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
The Xoss sounds good for the money. I have to admit I like Garmin stuff and have had good results from them - although I know others have had different experiences. I bought my 705 in 2008 and it's still working. I decided to retire it last year for a number of reasons: the waterproof cover over the USB port had broken, the old Garmin mount isn't great, it's large and relatively heavy, takes a while to lock in the GPS coordinates (although faster than Xoss by the sound of it) and has to be plugged in to a computer to download. The 320 Plus locks in GPS almost instantly. It has the same size screen in a much smaller unit, much the same battery life and downloads over BT.

I also have a Garmin Virb X camera which I've been very happy with. I did have a Vivosmart HR+ fitness tracker which, although it worked very well, I found too chunky on my wrist so I now have a Galaxy Watch. The watch is an excellent unit but I don't like Samsung's Health app as much as the Garmin one and there is no access via the web which is a real PITA. So when this dies I'll probably think about going back to Garmin.
Old 01-31-20, 08:20 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
The Xoss sounds good for the money. I have to admit I like Garmin stuff and have had good results from them - although I know others have had different experiences. I bought my 705 in 2008 and it's still working. I decided to retire it last year for a number of reasons: the waterproof cover over the USB port had broken, the old Garmin mount isn't great, it's large and relatively heavy, takes a while to lock in the GPS coordinates (although faster than Xoss by the sound of it) and has to be plugged in to a computer to download. The 320 Plus locks in GPS almost instantly. It has the same size screen in a much smaller unit, much the same battery life and downloads over BT.

I also have a Garmin Virb X camera which I've been very happy with. I did have a Vivosmart HR+ fitness tracker which, although it worked very well, I found too chunky on my wrist so I now have a Galaxy Watch. The watch is an excellent unit but I don't like Samsung's Health app as much as the Garmin one and there is no access via the web which is a real PITA. So when this dies I'll probably think about going back to Garmin.
I'd give the Garmin Forerunner 635 a shot. It's a pretty good balance between smartwatch and fitness. It has Garmin pay built into it so you can pay with your watch while your out running or biking and it has built in music storage. It's smaller on the wrist than my foreruuner 235 but had less bezels so it has the same screen size.
Old 01-31-20, 01:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Yeah it seems to have everything I'm looking for. Also sorry about the typing error it is a xoss G+ and like you said I can use my phone for navigation. As far as Strava, do you know if it's Strava compatible. It states that it is but some reviews said it will not sync. I'll have my watch on as well so that's not a huge deal.
Yup, the XOSS G+ syncs just fine with Strava. I used my Facebook login rather than creating yet another login and password.

There's occasionally a delay in uploading to Strava, but usually it's only a minute or so. Some users report longer delays.

I suspect delays are due to distance between the XOSS G+ and phone, computer, WiFi, possibly even radio frequency interference - my longest delay seemed to have been caused by my own microwave oven. As soon as the oven shut off the data uploaded to Strava.
Old 01-31-20, 02:15 PM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yup, the XOSS G+ syncs just fine with Strava. I used my Facebook login rather than creating yet another login and password.

There's occasionally a delay in uploading to Strava, but usually it's only a minute or so. Some users report longer delays.

I suspect delays are due to distance between the XOSS G+ and phone, computer, WiFi, possibly even radio frequency interference - my longest delay seemed to have been caused by my own microwave oven. As soon as the oven shut off the data uploaded to Strava.
I appreciate the feedback. I guess I'll get me a speed sensor off Amazon. Looks like the Xoss speed sensor is only 21.99. I hope my Garmin Heart rate strap will pair up with it just fine.
Old 01-31-20, 02:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I appreciate the feedback. I guess I'll get me a speed sensor off Amazon. Looks like the Xoss speed sensor is only 21.99. I hope my Garmin Heart rate strap will pair up with it just fine.
The XOSS speed/cadence induction sensor works fine. It has mounts for either the crank arm or hub. I've used it both ways. Data pretty well matched my older Wahoo wired-together speed/cadence sensors with magnets.

The only fiddly part is the battery swap trick for switching the XOSS between speed and cadence modes. It's easier to grasp the trick by checking YouTube videos.

I'm guessing other induction type speed/cadence sensors switch modes the same way -- remove and replace the battery. But the XOSS battery cover makes it a bit fiddly. They probably save a little weight over the magnet type sensors.

I recently paid $10 for a new/old stock Wahoo Bike Pack just for the wired together speed/cadence magnet sensor unit. It's a 2012 era doodad that preceded Wahoo computers. It includes a protective case for an iPhone 3/4 series that adds ANT+ capabilities, and a handlebar/stem mount. I use the adapter and iPhone only on the indoor trainer. The iPhone battery won't last a full 50-60 mile ride, but indoors I can run an external USB battery for marathon sessions. Not worth the original MSRP of around $150, but worth $10 for the sensors, if you don't mind the old style sensors that used magnets on the rear wheel spoke and another on the crank arm, using zip ties to hold 'em on.
Old 01-31-20, 03:09 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
If this is what you need, I’d suggest an almost entry-level Garmin Edge 25. I just picked a new one up for $80 on eBay. It’s replacing my decade old Edge 200. It’s small and gives just the basic info, but that’s all I need. Once you get back into longer and more adventurous rides, you can then think about whether you need maps for routes. Fortunately for me, most of my routes are memorized, so I don’t need the map feature. The Edge 25 is a great, basic unit.
Old 01-31-20, 05:17 PM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
If this is what you need, I’d suggest an almost entry-level Garmin Edge 25. I just picked a new one up for $80 on eBay. It’s replacing my decade old Edge 200. It’s small and gives just the basic info, but that’s all I need. Once you get back into longer and more adventurous rides, you can then think about whether you need maps for routes. Fortunately for me, most of my routes are memorized, so I don’t need the map feature. The Edge 25 is a great, basic unit.
That will be my second choice if I end up not liking the Xoss G+ unit. I looked at it and was about to purchase but for the price of the Xoss I couldn't resist giving it a shot. The Garmin edge 25 seems like a pretty solid unit though.
Old 02-01-20, 02:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
When the battery isn't user-replaceable, I'd go for a new unit, if only to get the maximum battery life.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 02-01-20, 08:20 PM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got my xoss g+ today. I like the size of it. Got 20 miles planned for the AM and I'll see how it goes. Was able to connect right up to Strava from the app. Only thing I'm having trouble doing is switching the time from the 24hr format to 12hr format. Not a huge deal but I'd rather see the time in the 12hr format. Can this be done
Old 02-02-20, 09:26 AM
Jamie1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
canklecat So I rode 15 miles with the Xoss and did awesome, auto stopped and started on point. Took about 2 minutes to grab GPS signal so not bad there either. When I got done after I uploaded the run it synced on point with Strava and gave the correct miles. Only thing I don't like is on the app itself it shows the ride in metric not imperial. I wish there was a way to change that. I also saw that you can import routes onto it as well. Other than that the only other thing o don't like is it's not Garmin compatible. I did ride with the watch on but I forgot to start it back twice so I ended up deleting the ride off my watch. Xoss did a great for me but I still may end up with the Garmin 25, just because the overall app experience is way better and I found one used on eBay for $60. I'll give the Xoss a few more rides before I make a final decision but I am not knocking the unit one bit. It is a solid unit and feels well made. I was expecting a light piece of plastic for the price and it feels very well made. If I wasn't hooked on a particular brand or user experience then I would definitely not think twice about using the Xoss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.