Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Running a triple crank as a double - problems?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Running a triple crank as a double - problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 05:03 AM
jabara572

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcart1991
Your posts make me rofl more an more each time.

I just picked up some Diadora Ergo Carbons for a steal. Should I take them back and get some Sidi 6.6 Carbon instead?

I'm also about to re-wrap my bar with Cinelli tape. Is that also acceptable, or should I change to another brand?

HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE MECHANICS SECTION!!!! STFU WITH TRIPLE BASHING!!!!

bcart, in case you havnt gotten a real answer yet. No problems using the triple as a double. Most mid range cranksets have the same arms on both the triple and double models except that they have posts to mount the granny gear on triple models. Thus, the chainline would be identical. On your FSA model, a few mm wont matter. It would be shifting fine if you were using it with the granny gear as a triple. Simply taking off the granny doesnt move the other two gears, it will shift perfectly. Just set up your front derailer limits correctly, and ride on.

and yeah, for the record, triple road bikes look bad!!
Old 01-30-08, 05:56 AM
bikefix
Cert. Mechanic, Consultnt

Bikes: Norco VFR 5, Ibis Ripley (Castellano Fango), Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Trek 6700, 1980's Haro Group 1 RS-1!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YO bcart. I'm a bike mechanic and a dedicated, lifelong, year-round road commuter. Currntly a student at WBI Pro-Bike Mechanics Course.

Removing the inner ring will be fine. Not recommended esp. since u said u can't adjust the BB cuz your chainline will not b ideal thus more d/train wear and more friction. Also, doesnt hurt to have it incase chain drops.

If removing it: U shld then adjust the Low limit screw by hand not shifter to go upto the mid-ring and then re-adjust the frnt shifting and barrel adjstr approx. 1 turn out.

Adjusting the actual chainline is the absolute last resort (it requires an extensive process)!

Pls. lemme know how it works out.
Old 01-30-08, 06:21 AM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
The limit screw may or may not have enough adjustment but even if it doesn't, I think the cable tension could be adjusted to limit the derailleur travel enough so that that wouldn't happen.
When I replaced my triple with a double last year that is exactly what I did. Works fine.
Old 01-30-08, 07:57 AM
Zouf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cons of turning a triple into double:
1. The left brifter will be more tricky to use, since it will try to shift the FD, which will be stopped by the limit screw. So you'll get "empty clicks" at the end of travel.
2. The chainline will likely be off (a triple is usually setup with middle gear centered on middle of cassette, while a double usually centers the halfway point between chainrings on the middle of the cassette). Depending on how good/bad the chainline was to start with, and on chainstay length, this may/may not be a problem.
3. Chainring gearing is not usually the same for triples than doubles, i.e. middle gear tends to be 42-44T, which is high for a small chainring - but you seem to indicate this is not the case for your installation.

Apart from that, disregard the "don't do it", "why do it" crowd - who cares, it's your bike. The time spent ranting useless info in forums is inversely proportional to the time spent having a life, in genenral.
Old 01-30-08, 11:41 AM
jabara572

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chainline warnings are completely not true. Do triples shift horrible because they have bad chainlines?

the answer is NO!!!!!!!!

Removing the inner ring= same chainline, you arent moving the crank people. Stating the chainline will be out of whack is saying that everyone who runs a triple has a messed up chainline.

IF you have a triple shifter, no problem. You wont have to deal with empty clicks. Undo cable to FD. Adjust limit screw for the middle chainring. Make sure your shifter is in "1st" ie pulling no cable. Rehook the cable to FD. This way, the shifter olny uses its 1-2 shift. The High limit screw will prevent it from clicking up to "3rd"
Old 01-30-08, 12:13 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jabara572
The chainline warnings are completely not true. Do triples shift horrible because they have bad chainlines?

the answer is NO!!!!!!!!

Removing the inner ring= same chainline, you arent moving the crank people. Stating the chainline will be out of whack is saying that everyone who runs a triple has a messed up chainline.

IF you have a triple shifter, no problem. You wont have to deal with empty clicks. Undo cable to FD. Adjust limit screw for the middle chainring. Make sure your shifter is in "1st" ie pulling no cable. Rehook the cable to FD. This way, the shifter olny uses its 1-2 shift. The High limit screw will prevent it from clicking up to "3rd"

Just so there's no confusion, my comments regarding chainline were comparing a triple with a double, not comparing a triple with 3 chainrings to the same triple with 2.

Also, the triple on my bike does (IMHO) have a less than great chainline because of the short chain stays and the fact the chain rings are too far away from the center line. It favors the smaller chain rings which I spend the least time in.

Technically a triple could give you better chainlines if you stick to certain gear combos but that requires keeping track of what cogs/rings you're on and maybe a lot more shifting. It's easier to do with the new brifters that display the gear. I prefer to stay on the large chain ring while cruising and drop to the middle as necessary.
Old 01-30-08, 01:06 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Finally, an informative post.

I was pretty sure it would work fine, just didn't want any surprises. Sad that it took 10 hours and 20 posts to get some info.
Is to laugh. The post you replied to contained no information.

Actually, there is something that will cause you problems that you didn't ask about: Shimano chainrings do not all have the same thickness and offset from the mounting surface, so replacing a triple 42 with a double 39 - even between Shimano cranksets of the same group - might change the spacing between the rings enough that index shifting will be a problem.

There's a thread about this, but since Search is broken I can't find it. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-30-08, 01:21 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well as long as I (or the LBS) can tune it right, I shouldn't have any problems.

FWIW, I'm going from a Shimano 105 octalink 53/39 to an FSA SL-K 53/39/xx. According to FSA, there is only about 2mm chainline difference in their double and triple SL-K cranksets.

I was having a little fun with bekologist...
Old 01-30-08, 02:17 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
...and I was having some fun with you. You going to keep your triple derailluer? Kep the 'fred ' look consistent? I'd recommend, next time, if you want a double crank, buy a double crank.

having fun.....
Old 01-30-08, 02:25 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do know that most derailleurs are triple and double compatible, n'est-ce pas? I was thinking about tossing an old MTB derailleur on there, just for you.

Maybe you need to smoke less moss and pine needles.

epic lulz

Have fun at Starbucks, k?
Old 01-30-08, 02:58 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

actually, triples are double compatible but not the other way around. you know that, of course.

I have a triple front derailluer running a double crank on one of my bikes- but I'm a fred. et tu.

starbucks is a cruel joke we foist on the rest of the country.

your wanting to turn a triple into a double is also a joke. thanks for the laugh!

Last edited by Bekologist; 01-31-08 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-30-08, 03:07 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're talking about shifters, then yes. Derailleurs don't really care who's doing the pulling.

Yes, I'm obviously the joke here. I make my decisions based on what others think. That is absolutely how I want to live my life. Enjoy!
Old 01-30-08, 04:12 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

if you try using a double cage derailluer to shift a triple, you're going to have some drivetrain 'issues' but not the other way around....
Old 01-30-08, 07:50 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Is to laugh. The post you replied to contained no information.

Actually, I was just trying to be concise in answering the original question. Most of the other posts before mine were berating the OP on the concept alone. I think the OP and I understood what I was saying.
Old 01-30-08, 08:33 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well as long as I (or the LBS) can tune it right, I shouldn't have any problems.

FWIW, I'm going from a Shimano 105 octalink 53/39 to an FSA SL-K 53/39/xx. According to FSA, there is only about 2mm chainline difference in their double and triple SL-K cranksets.
2mm difference isn't bad, but I'm not talking about chainline. You can't "tune" an indexed dérailleur throw.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-30-08, 09:46 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'll be tuning a double shifter throw with the new crank, it just seems I'll be tuning it 2mm outward.

Jackologist doesn't seem to understand this.
Old 01-30-08, 09:56 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Picked up an FSA SL-K Mega Exo triple for a song a while back, and I was thinking about running it sans inner ring, mainly because it won't see much use.

I shouldn't encounter any real problems, other than my chainline being a little out of whack, should I?

It's a Mega Exo, so I can't just trade out BBs. Anyone wanna trade my triple for your double?
Assuming that you have a triple FD and friction shifting I don't see any issue leaving the inner ring off. You might want to adjust the FD stop to prevent you dropping the chain. If you want to be able to use both rings with all your rear cogs you might adjust the BB spindle inboard a bit (if you have adjustment like on Phil Wood BBs).

I use a Sugino XD triple as a double with a 42t middle ring and 26t inner, no outer ring. I have moved the spindle out a bit so that the gap between the front rings is aligned to the center of the cassette. I use a 105 double FD and all gear combos work ok, even the cross chain ones, which I obviously usually avoid.
Old 01-30-08, 10:03 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
actually, triples are double compatible but not the other way around. you know that, of course.

I have a triple front derailluer running a double crank on one of my bikes- but I'm a fred. et tu.

starbucks is a cruel joke we foist on the ret of the country.

your wanting to turn a triple into a double is also a joke. thanks for the laugh!
Bekologist, I don't think using a triple as a double is a joke. I prefer a double on my touring bike, fewer gears to worry about and less changing. The way I got a 42/26 double working was to use the middle and inner positions of a 110/74 Sugino XD triple, combined with an 11-34 cassette I have an 18 gear bike with a gear range of 103" to 21" and not much duplication.
Old 01-31-08, 12:18 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kumbaya, people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kumbaya.jpg (33.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-31-08, 07:17 AM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
Kumbaya, people.
No, it's more fun this way.
Old 01-31-08, 08:05 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

yeah, no doubt. I just threw in my 2 cents for the dissent, and then it got entertaining.

go, fred, go! join the club - maybe you could J-B weld shut the triple ring holes in your crank and really make it look like a double with a crappy chainline.
Old 01-31-08, 08:13 AM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the bike ride with the new crank? It only takes about 30 minutes to change out a crank and it is now 3 days later that the first post. What is going on?

I just put a tripple crank on a bike that had a double. I am using friction shifting and things are working great on the bench. I have not gotten to ride the bike yet but I am expecting things to go well. The bike is a 7 speed and the chain line seems to be good for front small ring and the 1,2 and 3 cog in the rear. The middle chain ring is lined up well with cog 3,4 and 5 and the outer chain ring is lined up well with the 5,6 and 7 cog. If I only use these combination of gears then I can use the short rear derailer with no problems. If I decide that I have to cross chain more then the longer derailer will be needed.

So once again how is it riding?

too much typing makes me too tired to work on my bike or ride it.
Old 01-31-08, 08:58 AM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol I'm lazy and it's still really cold outside.

Tennis
Soccer
Car stuff

going on as well
Old 01-31-08, 05:42 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally found the ring thickness thread.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-31-08, 08:52 PM
cmdr
Don't call me sir

Bikes: 1954 Holdsworth 3 speed, 1969 Bob Jackson, 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred (retired), 1989 Schwinn Paramount, 2004 Santa Cruz Blur Classic, 2012 Specialized P3, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All right, I'm going to step in here and just answer the question. Everything will work fine. You can adjust the derailleur to stop on the middle ring, there will be no chain-line issue, and you won't drop your chain. I know this because it's how one of my bikes roll. I actually forgot that that's how I had it set up until I started reading this absolutely ridiculous thread. To the OP, sorry about all the hassle you had to deal with.