Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

I think I over did it....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 09:07 PM
Cwtowns

Bikes: Kona Blast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I over did it....

So recently I have been riding 20 miles every other day working towards a goal of 150 miles before the end of July. After each of the 20 mile rides I felt great and felt like I could ride another 5-10 easily.

Today I pushed and tried to ride my first 25 mile ride. I missed it by one mile because of a mixup with my tracking app and made it 24. I felt tired but not miserable right away. After a snack and a shower I felt horrible and completely drained of energy. No idea what happened or why.

Any insight for me and ideas on what I can do to prevent feeling like this in the future?
Old 07-29-17, 09:21 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Not enough info to really say. 20 to 24 isn't that big an increase. Maybe you weren't fueled at the start, maybe the weather was different, maybe you rode a bit harder, maybe you have a medical situation.

Being a software engineer, we tend to say "do it again and see if you can reproduce the problem."
Old 07-29-17, 09:29 PM
crockettlarry
Fat guy on a bike

Bikes: 2017 Giant Sedona DX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just last week I had an unexplainable problem and it was 180° from what you experienced.

I felt crummy riding about 10 miles last Saturday and it was work to just do that.

However the very next day I was able to ride 20 miles for the first time on this bike ever and I felt like I could go further.

Like it has been said before, maybe you weren't fueled, maybe your body was just telling you to rest, maybe your electrolytes were a little off. Really not enough information.

I used to run a lot. There were days that I did not feel good on the run or afterwards and I could not explain why. I think it was just my body saying time for a rest.
Old 07-29-17, 09:43 PM
Cwtowns

Bikes: Kona Blast

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Not enough info to really say. 20 to 24 isn't that big an increase. Maybe you weren't fueled at the start, maybe the weather was different, maybe you rode a bit harder, maybe you have a medical situation.

Being a software engineer, we tend to say "do it again and see if you can reproduce the problem."
Here is a link to my Strava profile if it helps. I know that doesnt cover the fueled body or the medical side but it will have ride detail.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/8833507

Last edited by Cwtowns; 07-29-17 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-31-17, 02:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Like downtube said, there's just so many variables at play and too little info to make a good guess as to why you conked out at 24 miles. The thing is that some days you conk out after a few miles, and other days you feel like you can ride forever. A while back after a busy day at work being on my feet & walking around, up & down stairs, and lifting heavy objects all day, I tried to go out and ride 10 miles but I just had zero energy. I made it 5 before I decided to quit. However, the next morning I was able to do my usual morning 10.
Old 08-02-17, 01:36 AM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwtowns
So recently I have been riding 20 miles every other day working towards a goal of 150 miles before the end of July. After each of the 20 mile rides I felt great and felt like I could ride another 5-10 easily.

Today I pushed and tried to ride my first 25 mile ride. I missed it by one mile because of a mixup with my tracking app and made it 24. I felt tired but not miserable right away. After a snack and a shower I felt horrible and completely drained of energy. No idea what happened or why.

Any insight for me and ideas on what I can do to prevent feeling like this in the future?
Don't sweat it (sorry!). Assuming you've gotten a doctor's clearance to do what you're doing, it's normal.
Way back in a previous lifetime I enjoyed a modestly successful career racing, Cat. 2 actually. It was routine for me to complete a tough ride and do just as you did; shower, snack and collapse. Those were the days when several hard hours on the road a couple times a week were routine (and >500 miles a week not unusual!). Not bragging, just trying to give some perspective that even the fittest gotta recover. Enjoy the nap, you earned it!
Old 08-02-17, 02:52 AM
Nimbuslove

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most likely a lack of calories or water. its one bottle of water per hour, more if hot out and when your body has burnt too many calories in a short time it crashes as not to lose too much weight at once this forces you to slow down
Old 08-07-17, 01:46 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Calories, probably not. Water and electrolytes, maybe. I agree - do the ride with more water, and see how you feel. Then do the ride with the original amount of water and add something with salt, and see how you feel.

Congrats on going past 20 miles.
Old 08-07-17, 04:57 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also be sure you're hydrated before you start. It's true what they say: if you wait till you're thirsty, it's probably too late.