Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A Cautionary Tale on Tire mounting

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 02:31 PM
woodpusherghd

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently mounted a new Continental Hard Shell on the rear wheel of my steel Bianchi. I always try to mount tires using no tools to avoid pinching the tube but the new Continental was so stiff I gave up and resorted to using tire irons. Being a Clyde, I pumped up the tire to 120 psi (max as per tire sidewall) and all was fine for several rides.

This past Sunday, when I rode over a newly paved and smooth as glass street (my usual route in Queens NY is rather rough and bumpy) I noticed a regular "bump" coming from my rear wheel, barely perceptible, but there. I stopped, looked at my rear wheel, everything seemed ok, the bead of the tire seemed seated in the rim, no loose or broken spokes, and rode on. When I finished my ride and dismounted, I noticed that a small portion of my rear tire had pulled away from the rim and suddenly, kaboom! the tube exploded. Dumb luck that it happened several days after I installed the tire and at the end of my ride.

Just wondering how the pinched tube lasted so long. In any event I wanted to share and caution against using tire irons to install tires on rims.
Old 09-13-17, 02:39 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
return the tire to bike shop for another, factory defect in the sidewall caused the bubble. Conti is pretty good about warranty. **** happens, hope you can hear again soon
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-13-17, 03:17 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by woodpusherghd
... I noticed that a small portion of my rear tire had pulled away from the rim and suddenly, kaboom! the tube exploded.
Sounds like a bad tire, not any issue with the tube.
Old 09-13-17, 03:24 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
The tube was caught under the tire bead. It's not a defective tube. I always use tire levers -- I like the kind with wide, blunt tips, not thin, pointy tips. Pedros levers are great.

I had the same thing happen, with the bike in the house 30 minutes after inflating the new tire. The folded tube slowly pushes the tire bead above the edge of the rim. Then the exposed tube blows up like a balloon and pops -- with a long slit cut in the tube. Loud!

I normally take the time to:

1. push the valve all the way toward the tire until it bottoms out on the inside of the tire casing.
The thick tube surrounding the valve can get caught under the bead pretty easily, so this pushes it past the bead.

2. go around both sides before inflating, pushing the tire sidewall and bead toward the center of the rim. I look for the rim tape and no fold of tube showing. (that's what I forgot the day my tube exploded.)

3. inflate the tire. Now hold the axle and spin the wheel. Make sure the molded line in the tire is evenly above the edge of the rim. Check both sides.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-13-17 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 04:19 PM
jeromeoneil

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tass, Trek Crossrip 3, Miscellaneous Trek frames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
^^^

I also inflate a bit at a time and inspect the tire before I add some more PSI. I'll pump it to 1/3, inspect, 2/3, inspect, and then finish it up.
Old 09-13-17, 05:01 PM
Shadowx

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats why I use this. Had a super stubborn tire, took it to the bike shop, they used this. Also once the tire is on the rim I roll it over from both sides and look in the gap to make sure all i see is rim, no tube. I then inflate to about 40psi and roll it again to make sure it seated before I fully inflate. its like a $13 tool and worth every penny, its a tire bead jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
z.jpg (99.2 KB, 282 views)
Old 09-13-17, 05:47 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this happen. Just changed tube and turned corner to take a kid for a spin and pop. Had to walk the bike and trailer with a toddler in it home. That half mile walk was a lot longer with all that extra stuff.

Vampire bite marks on the rim side of the tube...oh well.
Old 09-13-17, 09:44 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Doesn't anyone use talc anymore?
Old 09-13-17, 09:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's impossible to know the cause without knowing the details of the damage.

Was the tire itself OK afterward? If not, what EXACTLY did the damaged area look like?

If the tire is OK, then it's probably a classic case of poor seating. Prevent this by filling the tube until it's round before installing. After mounting fill to 15 psi or so (enough to fully shape the tire and make it firm to the touch), then spin the wheel watching the reference line for high and low areas. Both sides must run very true to the rim, otherwise you risk a repeat. When you're sure the reference line is OK, fill to full pressure.

If using CO2, it's often easier to use a mini pump to fill to the first stage and use the cartridge to fill to full pressure later.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-13-17 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 05:00 AM
woodpusherghd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's impossible to know the cause without knowing the details of the damage.

Was the tire itself OK afterward? If not, what EXACTLY did the damaged area look like?
Tire itself is fine. Human error is most likely the culprit. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.
Old 09-14-17, 07:07 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Had this happen to me once ... swapped in some new tires, put them on in a hurry, an hour or so later, chilling on the couch, watching TV, the dogs are lying around being lazy ...

BAM!

Scared all of us!
Old 09-21-17, 09:35 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
The tube under bead blowout happened to me a few years ago. And now I very carefully check all around the circle for exposed tube. Usually. One day, I had a flat at the start of a club ride. Everyone was waiting so I hurried and got a new tube mounted, used the floor pump in my car, and was quickly away. Too quickly. Up a longish hill, 35 mph descent and I felt a thump thump thump. Stopped at the re-group, and found about 3 inches of bead outside the rim. My heart almost stopped. Let the air out, re-seated the bead. Wasted a Co2 ( I carry a mini pump now), and got going again. I have no idea how the tire, tube or I survived the 35 mph descent. Haste makes waste - always check your gear! The tire was a Continental Gatorskin, rigid bead, on a carbon rim.
Old 09-22-17, 01:36 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf

2. go around both sides before inflating, pushing the tire sidewall and bead toward the center of the rim. I look for the rim tape and no fold of tube showing. (that's what I forgot the day my tube exploded.)
Yes - I have found this to be a critical step.
Old 09-22-17, 03:25 PM
faulker479

Bikes: Synapse, Slate

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
I put baby powder on the tube and rub it all around. Before putting my tubes in a saddle bag, i place them in a ziploc bag and put baby powder in it. This and putting some air in the tube to give it shape out of the tire helps the tire slide into the right place.

i then follow that up with making sure the tube is inside the bead of tire before inflating.
Old 09-25-17, 06:08 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
I always mount my tire without tools -- I don't think that was a factor.

I agree with FBinNY, "It's impossible to know the cause without knowing the details of the damage".

However, I was riding with someone that experienced this very same thing, luckily we were near a bike shop and able to get a new tire. His problem was from using a tire rated for 50 psi, but he liked to pump his tires up to near 80 psi. He just didn't realize he bought a tire rated for low pressure.

Sounds like you have a tire issue, not a tube issue. How much have you ridden it since? Probably just a faulty install, but if it happens again, I'd start suspecting a tire issue.
Old 09-25-17, 06:25 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I always mount my tire without tools -- I don't think that was a factor.

I agree with FBinNY, "It's impossible to know the cause without knowing the details of the damage".

However, I was riding with someone that experienced this very same thing, luckily we were near a bike shop and able to get a new tire. His problem was from using a tire rated for 50 psi, but he liked to pump his tires up to near 80 psi. He just didn't realize he bought a tire rated for low pressure.

Sounds like you have a tire issue, not a tube issue. How much have you ridden it since? Probably just a faulty install, but if it happens again, I'd start suspecting a tire issue.
I just re-read the OP's post and noticed I misread the part about tools and remounting tires.

I don't think having to use tire irons to re-install the tire was the problem, some tires are just tight, I've have had them before where I also had to use tire irons to re-install.

This does make me wonder (even more) if the OP has experienced any other problems since the original problem.
Old 10-04-17, 05:36 PM
FlamsteadHill

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Raleigh Venture 4.0, Ross Gran Tour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every day on my baby's bottom.

Well, I would, if my kids were still babies, anyways.
Old 10-04-17, 07:12 PM
ChuckD6421 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
Every day on my baby's bottom.

Well, I would, if my kids were still babies, anyways.
Hey don't knock it for personal use! After a long ride and a hot shower, does wonders on those personal parts too.
Just remember to put it back in the garage where you found it!
Old 10-04-17, 10:31 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at the expense of sounding dumb, what again is the talc for?
Old 10-05-17, 01:32 AM
ChuckD6421 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
As a dry lube for slipping the tire and tube on. The idea is you sprinkle it around inside the tire before pushing the tube in and prying the whole affair onto the rim. Works great for me.
Old 10-05-17, 01:30 PM
woodpusherghd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I just re-read the OP's post and noticed I misread the part about tools and remounting tires.

I don't think having to use tire irons to re-install the tire was the problem, some tires are just tight, I've have had them before where I also had to use tire irons to re-install.

This does make me wonder (even more) if the OP has experienced any other problems since the original problem.
Everything has been fine since I remounted the tire on the rim. I made sure the tube wasn't pinched. I try not to use tire irons if at all possible.
Old 10-06-17, 06:35 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
Corn meal works well too.
Jon
Old 10-09-17, 08:47 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by woodpusherghd
I recently mounted a new Continental Hard Shell on the rear wheel of my steel Bianchi. I always try to mount tires using no tools to avoid pinching the tube but the new Continental was so stiff I gave up and resorted to using tire irons. Being a Clyde, I pumped up the tire to 120 psi (max as per tire sidewall) and all was fine for several rides.
Switch to thinner rim tape - two wraps of 1 mil Kapton totaling .005" versus .020" for Velox and .010" for thin strips like Rox. Start the second bead opposite the valve stem, and when you run out of slack milk it around finishing at the valve stem. That'll give you enough slack to comfortably mount new Continentals on tight rims that have you cussing at tools using Velox.