Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace SRAM XRD Cassette: Rival vs. Force 12-sp

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Replace SRAM XRD Cassette: Rival vs. Force 12-sp

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 04:47 PM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Replace SRAM Cassette: Rival vs. Force 12-sp

I have a Cervelo Caledonia-5 with Rival eTap groupset. With over 6,000 miles on it, I replaced the chain due to a split in one of the links. The chain was within tolerance (less than 0.5% wear) using a Park Tool chain wear gauge, but the new Force chain skips on the rear cassette indicating worn cogs.

My question: is upgrading from a Rival cassette ($132) to a Force cassette ($195) a good value? My main goal is to increase durability and reduce replacement cycles. According to SRAM, Force cassettes use a mini cluster design where the four small cogs are machined out of a single block of steel. The eight larger cogs are pinned together. The Rival cassette uses 12 individual cogs with a fully pinned design. The Force cassette weighs 20 grams less (not really a factor for me).

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by Bici Veloce; 10-18-22 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-18-22, 06:17 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You'll not likely notice any difference in wear.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-19-22, 12:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,665 Times in 1,483 Posts
The specs provided are meaningless to predict wear life. What would help is knowing the material, hardness, and "case depth".

These, of course, are NEVER provided.

FWIW - from manufacturing standpoint, it's generally easier to use higher alloys in stamped vs. machined parts. Of course proper heat treatment would be needed to realize the benefit of those better alloys.

My instinct is that even if the extra dough actually went into alloy choice and heat treatment, I doubt the improvement would be enough to recoup the difference.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-19-22, 07:53 AM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Thank you for the responses. My instinct was telling me the same thing. I'll go with the Rival cassette.
Old 10-19-22, 09:38 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Bici Veloce
I have a Cervelo Caledonia-5 with Rival eTap groupset. With over 6,000 miles on it, I replaced the chain due to a split in one of the links. The chain was within tolerance (less than 0.5% wear) using a Park Tool chain wear gauge, but the new Force chain skips on the rear cassette indicating worn cogs.

My question: is upgrading from a Rival cassette ($132) to a Force cassette ($195) a good value? My main goal is to increase durability and reduce replacement cycles. According to SRAM, Force cassettes use a mini cluster design where the four small cogs are machined out of a single block of steel. The eight larger cogs are pinned together. The Rival cassette uses 12 individual cogs with a fully pinned design. The Force cassette weighs 20 grams less (not really a factor for me).

Any input is appreciated.
As a general rule, the reason to go with higher end cassettes is to save weight. Whether the weight savings are meaningful is a whole other question. Often the higher end cassettes wear faster due to the use of Ti (or even aluminum) for the larger cogs. So they cost you more twice: once on purchase and again because they wear out faster.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 10-19-22, 01:19 PM
Bici Veloce

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
As a general rule, the reason to go with higher end cassettes is to save weight. Whether the weight savings are meaningful is a whole other question. Often the higher end cassettes wear faster due to the use of Ti (or even aluminum) for the larger cogs. So they cost you more twice: once on purchase and again because they wear out faster.
That makes sense. Thanks for posting!