Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Necessity for Headtube Reaming & Facing on Bikes that have Existing Headsets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 12:04 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts

I need to do some pressed headset work and have been contemplating acquiring some tools for that. One of the things that is holding me back is the necessity for reaming and facing headtubes as part of the headset installation process and the cost of the tools that I'd want for that.

Is reaming and facing something that is only required on new frames that haven't yet had headsets installed? Or is it it something that should be anticipated for the replacement of existing headsets as well?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-29-24, 12:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4852 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,588 Posts
Basically, any frame that has not has it done will benefit. Not all new bikes have had the reaming and facing done properly. That said, buying the tools for one or two bikes is usually not worth the cost if there is a bike shop nearby. They have the tools and the job takes minutes.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-29-24, 12:57 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2162 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,220 Posts
I’ve never, ever, had to have a head tube faced and that’s counting easily over a hundred bike frames.
Based on the quality of bikes in your sig, not likely that anything in that league would require such work.
Unless you were trying to install a different sized crown race or cups than the frame was previously prepped for.
Old 04-29-24, 01:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,538 Posts
Reaming and facing is a one and done job. Once a frame has been cut to spec. there's nothing to be gained by doing it again, and may even be counter-productive.

The ONLY reasons I consider repeating the job, if I suspected it wasn't done the first time, or if I were changing to a different headset with different specs. ie. changing from an JIS 30.0 headset to an ISO 30.2mm headset.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-29-24, 02:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,667 Times in 2,858 Posts
Aren't those less commonly needed with cartridge headsets?
Old 04-29-24, 04:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,538 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Aren't those less commonly needed with cartridge headsets?
Actually more important, but generally done by the builder, or pre-machined into the head tube.

As I said earlier reaming/facing is one and done, so no need to consider unless there was a searing problem with the prior headset.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-29-24, 05:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,101 Times in 2,737 Posts
Those are tools I wouldn't buy there are so many other tools I would rather have. As others have said it is a one and done situation and I would have my local frame builder or shop do it if it wasn't already done. If you are getting a custom frame it is likely already done and probably most modern production frames are set up already or are carbon and not something you want to face and ream.
Old 04-29-24, 07:12 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I've built bikes both with and without the face and ream job and one before and after. It can definitely make it easier to get the cups fully and squarely seated. I'd say rarely necessary but often beneficial it only needs to be done once, it's just good practice.
Unless something makes it impractical, just do it.
Supports and helps build a relationship with you local shop for not a lot of money.

I'm even more strongly in favor of chase and face for the bottom bracket. That's another topic.

Last edited by Ronsonic; 04-29-24 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 08:07 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4546 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 1,110 Posts
If I had a bike where the headset wore out prematurely, I would face the head tube before I put a new one in. Otherwise, I would not.

But on a virgin steel frame, I would definitely ream and face. Like a new Surly. I have never encountered an aluminum frame that needed it, and you can't ream or face Ti.
Old 04-30-24, 06:08 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Why can’t you ream and face Ti?
Old 04-30-24, 06:24 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Why can’t you ream and face Ti?
The metal is too difficult to correctly machine with standard hand tools. All of that work is done by the manufacturer with CNC machines.
Old 04-30-24, 09:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3615 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,956 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Is reaming and facing something that is only required on new frames that haven't yet had headsets installed?
It should have been done before the headset was installed, but if your headset shows signs of needing it (unable to adjust without binding and/or slop), it may benefit from having it done. The proper tools are too expensive to consider buying for a one-off job (several hundred dollars), so it's best to pay a properly equipped shop to do the work.

Or is it it something that should be anticipated for the replacement of existing headsets as well?
About the only time a headset replacement would need reaming and facing is if you are replacing a JIS-spec headset with an ISO-spec headset.
Old 05-02-24, 06:41 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 305 Posts
It's been my unfortunate experience that lbs seldom have the tools OR someone who actually knows how to use them. And as was already mentioned it is a one and done thing and if it is screwed up it is not un-screwable
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-02-24, 07:40 PM
Kontact

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
It's been my unfortunate experience that lbs seldom have the tools OR someone who actually knows how to use them. And as was already mentioned it is a one and done thing and if it is screwed up it is not un-screwable
It should only take a phone call to determine if a shop has the tools and people to do the work. Generally there is at least one shop around that is known for being able to do this kind of stuff. Google, yelp, etc.

And you can re-face bad work. You generally only remove half a mm. I'm not sure how you could screw up reaming bad enough to matter.