Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2024 How Was Your Commute?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2024 How Was Your Commute?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-24, 03:12 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: Terry Susan B., '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 48 Posts
Long time no speak

Hi all and happy bike month! Today was my first commute on my new to me Terry bike. It went great and I hope she’s still locked up at the train station when I get there in about 30 minutes.

Terry “Susan B” 21 speed
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 05-01-24, 03:20 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: Terry Susan B., '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My goodness, @Amitoj. I'm sorry it happened, but I'm glad you're alive and able to ride.

Today's rides were pretty darned good. I had a moderate crosswind in the morning which felt like a headwind, but I suspect it didn't hinder me much. I need to get to work on time from now on, and I was concerned about that. So I pedaled hard. I'm not sure how much time I made by pedaling hard, but it's good for me, and I made it with a few minutes to spare.

Rat count: 1 dead, very fat.

The ride from work to class was pretty good. Until recently, I found this route annoying, but I've gotten used to it. One upside to today or my conditioning or whatever is that I'm getting less upset at how people drive. One downside to the way I rode is that even though I told myself I should take fewer risks in traffic (since I'm getting older), well, I did at least one dumb thing I promised not to do: I slithered between a bus and a tall truck that were both waiting at the light. This leg of my commuting was my fastest time ever.

Lots of people smiled at me as I rode. Then I realize that I must look pretty darned unusual. I might be the only one who commutes on a bicycle in Manhattan wearing a tie. Today I wore pink trousers, a black shirt, and a black tie with multicolored polka dots. OK yeah that's pretty unusual. So be it.

Of course, after a long day, I ride home from class gently.
I’m out of the loop. what are you studying? I did grad school years back and advise grads now. Might start taking fashion classes for fun this fall.
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 05-07-24, 04:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,520 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
I’m out of the loop. what are you studying? I did grad school years back and advise grads now. Might start taking fashion classes for fun this fall.
I'm getting an MS in Education, specifically Special Education for grades 7 through 12. I'll be a subject matter generalist, ready to teach Math, English, Social Studies, or Science.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-08-24, 02:48 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 68 Posts
I woke up really tired today and finally decided a nice bike ride in the 15MPH winds should wake me, and I needed deodorant, so I took the Ole SLE up to the dollar general for its first commute. I made it there, got the stick, and made it back faster than my wife does in the van the bike rode excellently. I don't know why but this bike handles up hill riding better than my other bike that has HUGE rear cogs... pure math says this should not be the case..maybe I just hate spinning? Maybe it is the 10 pounds this bike doesn't have compared to the other? I don't know. Either way, today was a good day.

I took a route I don't normally take and all the traffic was very kind about me being in the road. Until now I have been riding on the right side of the white line ( my big giant hookworm tires made this possible without much worry about debris or riding off into the grass) but I am not giving any right of way on this thing, they are just going to have to deal with the fact that i am indeed a vehicle

Last edited by Strawbunyan; 05-09-24 at 09:55 AM.
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 05-10-24, 12:14 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,231 Posts
Back on the bike after a storm the other day. Lots of trees still down; fortunately, the utilities company took responsibility for the tree that took out my power line (and internet!), but there's at least one that somehow missed the power line completely blocking a nearby intersection. Not sure when the city will get a round tuit, but we had a parade of roofing trucks yesterday that changed their sign by yesterday afternoon and now they're advertising stump grinding.

Clear, warm air unless you're exposed to the cool north wind. (No, I don't understand what I just wrote, but it seems to describe the situation.) Big "news" is that the cicadas are marching north. Wednesday I could hear them singing south of one east-west thoroughfare; this morning they've moved one big road north. They're like riding in a sci-fi movie, high-pitched, low volume background noise. (Maybe I can't hear them nearer the house for all the chainsaws and heavy equipment revving!)