Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 11:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Thanks. It's pretty much my back yard for me...I can ride to this particular climb, but driving to the top saves about 40 miles of riding. Starts at the top of the ridge (6600') and drops down to the river at around 3400', once at the bottom, there are some options to add mileage/elevation. During all those hours of uber boring wintertime trainer sessions, I'm just thinking of riding the high country.

I'm really stoked with my power numbers this season...I never thought I'd be able to bump up the wattage in the last 20 minutes of an hour long effort. It's been a process over the last 5 years. Circa 2020ish, I was near my ideal race weight, but didn't have the power that I've had more recently. late 2021-2022 were terrible fitness years for me. 2023's power numbers killed the previous good years by a considerable amount, but I was also 20ish pounds heavier...so I was generally slower on all but the short, explosive climbs. This year, I managed to get below my 2019-20 race weight, yet retain similar or even better power numbers than last year.
Maybe this will help with those boring trainer rides: Holograph

Old 05-14-24, 01:30 AM
the hoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful outdoor pics
Likes For the hoff:
Old 05-14-24, 01:31 AM
the hoff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
very nice
Old 05-14-24, 04:08 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,043 Times in 1,950 Posts
Slightly caught off guard with the weather.. was not planning on a ride, butttttt the forecast went from predicting heavy moiiist to just a stupid headwind on the return.
30.3 miles.
Old 05-14-24, 04:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 424 Posts
Weather was spot on outside, but I'm stuck near the house helping my wife that just had back surgery...

Zwift is my friend.

34 miles, including the Mt Fuji climb portal.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-14-24, 08:26 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Maybe this will help with those boring trainer rides: Holograph
Pretty interesting, but I sense the next "Peloton" saga.
Old 05-14-24, 11:24 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 224 Posts
Short Answer: 15 miles yesterday.

Long Answer: I went to the club ride last night, rain was forecast, but not serious. Only 5 of us showed up. One bailed immediately, as he forgot his floor pump and couldn't get his tires hard enough with the compact pumps available. Another one rode 20 miles to get to the ride, then rode with us for ~ 5 miles, then headed back toward home. He didn't mind, just didn't want to get caught in the heavy rain, which we could then see coming on radar.

That left three of us. The rider leader picked a shorter alternate route, as he lives in the area. We got 15 miles instead of the usual 27. There were no slower riders (than me) so we got a 17 mph average. That's between the usual A and B groups that ride this ride. (on nice days, we have upwards of 20 riders)

Just after we returned to the starting point, the rain got heavier. It had been drizzling the whole ride prior to that. We took shelter under the eave of a shed and had our usual beer and snacks.

I almost fell over in the parking lot at the start of the ride and gashed my right calf pretty good on the big chainring. (pic in Strava post below)

https://www.strava.com/activities/11404938828
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-14-24, 02:36 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

43 miles, 4200' climbing, and a 16.4 mph average this morning.

I scored a PR on a 1 hour and 20ish minute segment, that I chock completely up to the "aero-ness" of the new bike and my position on it. My previous PR was a couple months back...I averaged 15 less watts this time, yet did it over a minute quicker. My pace was pretty similar on the steeper bits, but I was considerably quicker on the not-so-steep parts. I was going for an easyish ride this morning, as I don't want to accumulate too much fatigue this early in the week...managed that goal just fine, I managed to keep the power well down into zone 2 levels, even on the PR'ed segment.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-14-24, 10:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Smaug1
Short Answer: 15 miles yesterday.

Long Answer: I went to the club ride last night, rain was forecast, but not serious. Only 5 of us showed up. One bailed immediately, as he forgot his floor pump and couldn't get his tires hard enough with the compact pumps available. Another one rode 20 miles to get to the ride, then rode with us for ~ 5 miles, then headed back toward home. He didn't mind, just didn't want to get caught in the heavy rain, which we could then see coming on radar.

That left three of us. The rider leader picked a shorter alternate route, as he lives in the area. We got 15 miles instead of the usual 27. There were no slower riders (than me) so we got a 17 mph average. That's between the usual A and B groups that ride this ride. (on nice days, we have upwards of 20 riders)

Just after we returned to the starting point, the rain got heavier. It had been drizzling the whole ride prior to that. We took shelter under the eave of a shed and had our usual beer and snacks.

I almost fell over in the parking lot at the start of the ride and gashed my right calf pretty good on the big chainring. (pic in Strava post below)

https://www.strava.com/activities/11404938828
Wow, that must have bled like a mother. Yikes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-14-24, 11:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Headed out today without any expectations. Even after yesterday off, except for core and leg strengthening, I thought I would just cruise along and enjoy the ride and not stress myself. I managed to keep things sane for the first couple of climbs, and then the red mist descended. I logged my second fastest 10K being only 0.06 seconds slower from 2021 @ 21.7 MPH. Took a KOM on a 0.6 mile for my bracket, running 29.8 MPH on a slight downhill, with a generous tailwind, and a car I could almost draft - but a win is a win. The fun part was hitting almost 35 MPH on a one mile downhill. Good times.

Now why do my legs want to cramp?

Where the 1 mile descent began.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-15-24, 04:00 AM
Troul 

25 miles yelling at the headwinds that seemed to adjust with my direction...

Might force a day of rest this week... operative word is "might"
Gotta git while the gittin is gooders being in the moiiist mitten
Old 05-15-24, 08:20 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
25 miles yelling at the headwinds that seemed to adjust with my direction...

Might force a day of rest this week... operative word is "might"
Gotta git while the gittin is gooders being in the moiiist mitten
You been drinking again?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-15-24, 09:33 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by rsbob
You been drinking again?
don't encourage me!
Old 05-15-24, 12:37 PM
ava_johnson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to ride every day, but today was a day off
Likes For ava_johnson:
Old 05-15-24, 07:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ava_johnson
I try to ride every day, but today was a day off
Days off are important to help rebuild muscle.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-15-24, 11:27 PM
Sierra_rider

Just got back from the last weeknight XC race of the season...all together about 22 miles of riding, including some warm up laps. It was a very fast, "power" course. With the nature of the course and it being the last race, I wanted to go "all in" on this one. I drilled it out of the start, managed to hit 1350 watts on the sprint for the first turn...I didn't really let off the gas at all on the first lap and was able to go solo about 1/2 through the first lap. I kept the pressure on the rest of the race and was able to finish in first with a fairly respectable gap.

Now, hopefully I can fit in another ride this week of decent length and still recover well enough for 70 miles of gravel racing on Saturday.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 05-15-24, 11:32 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 252 Posts
Tuesday I rode my tour bike the season's first whole hundred miler going south with over 200 big trucks because it's a work day.
Nice day in the 60s with mostly blue sky between clouds on both sides and 9 mph west crosswind. I can't figure out why it slows me both directions.
Only got up some speed when the highway angled SE. A+W chicken burger lunch.
11 hours clock time, 8:28 moving. Too slow to get cramps I guess. LOL. Not bad I guess for 2nd ride, still in middle of May.
Last Friday was too hot, then Saturday I woke up to a damn choking napalm sky season already. Rode 21 miles.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-16-24 at 01:15 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 05-16-24, 09:54 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 224 Posts
Tuesday night: With my daughter, didn't ride.
Yesterday: Spent 5 hours driving taking my mom to an appointment. (she's got Alzheimer's) Missed the weekly club ride I usually lead. Time to repay all the time & effort she spent on me as a kid.
Tonight: With my daughter, likely won't ride, but will try to sneak one in after I get home, now that it's light out longer.
Tomorrow: Going to see Nate Bargatze (comedian) with my wife! Might commute if it will ever stop raining every time I have a chance to ride.
Saturday: Badgerland Miata club will be at Road America to watch vintage races and have a cookout. I think I'll pass on the long club ride and do that instead. Wife doesn't like Road America, so maybe I'll fold up my Ride1UP Portola, put it in a bit tote and see if it'll fit in the passenger seat of my Miata. (a 2000)
Sunday: Will likely ride with an alternate group. Older guys; some pretty fast, and the others on eBikes. Then meet with my wife for brunch.
Old 05-16-24, 12:11 PM
Troul 

77 miles. Tomorrow mother nature is forcing a rest day. I'll show her on Saturday that aint going to flatten these bulging tires!
Old 05-16-24, 01:11 PM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 106 Posts
Today I rode 25 miles. Not gonna make my 100 mile goal for the week. Weather has been bad.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 05-16-24, 02:18 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 146 Posts
Got in 21 miles today on gravel/road mix. Didn't realize wet gravel is much tougher, so went pretty slow.

Some insurance magnate used to own this joint, before he was arrested on fraud charges and eventually died.

​​​​​​
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-16-24, 06:48 PM
Sierra_rider

Some more climbing in, 27 miles and 4200' of gain. I didn't want to do a huge day of climbing, so I only did 1 each of "3" and "HC" rated climbs. I did push it pretty hard on the bottom 1/2 of the big climb and managed to set my peak 30 minute power for the season(321 watts.) Also managed to better my time on that particular climb by over 6 minutes(originally set 3 years ago.)

The Strava 3D image of the main climb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.