Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter Cycling Forum

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter Cycling Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 07:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Winter Cycling Forum

For the newbies here or those who haven't explored our subforums yet ...

Bikeforums has a Winter Cycling Forum!! You might be able to find the answers to many of your winter questions there:

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/
Old 11-23-17, 09:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Oh the dilemma of where to go for road cyclists to discuss road cycling.. temperature rated forums now it appears. Next up is summer cycling? Or is winter cycling about studded tire riding?
Old 11-23-17, 09:33 AM
Trakhak

Liked 3,271 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Oh the dilemma of where to go for road cyclists to discuss road cycling.. temperature rated forums now it appears. Next up is summer cycling? Or is winter cycling about studded tire riding?
"Now"? There are threads in the Winter Cycling subforum from the year 2000 and maybe earlier.
Old 11-23-17, 09:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Liked 1,565 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
"Now"? There are threads in the Winter Cycling subforum from the year 2000 and maybe earlier.
Oh okay.. I read the OP as an announcement "!"
Old 11-23-17, 12:43 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I think the OP's point was that questions about insulated clothing, numb hands, and frozen glasses would probably get better responses in the Winter forums (and may have already been addressed). The Winter crowd is friendly, though we may be a bit nuts.

On the other hand, if either of the photos below look like your version of Winter riding, please continue posting as usual in the Road forum

Old 11-23-17, 03:54 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Hehe.
Old 11-23-17, 05:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts

?? of course it's Summer in Tasmania right now..
Old 11-23-17, 06:24 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Yes, but she's Canadian.
Old 11-23-17, 06:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Viich
Yes, but she's Canadian.
Canadian-Australia

Citizen of both.

And yes, the Winter forum has been around for a long, long time ... it's just that new people don't realise it's there.
Old 11-23-17, 07:20 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Canadian-Australia

Citizen of both.
Je sais
Old 11-24-17, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
You go back to Canada to enjoy the winters?
Old 11-24-17, 06:59 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Well, technically still spring, their “late May”.

I did find it rather ironic that Machka had to take time out of her spring riding to point out to us dolts in the N. Hemisphere that a winter cycling forum exists.

I’ll trade Machka’s 16 hour days for my 9 hour ones any time. Dark when I leave for work, dark when I get home. She’s probably been riding past tulips, I just planted mine for next spring.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 11-24-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 07:26 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Well, technically still spring, their “late May”.

I did find it rather ironic that Machka had to take time out of her spring riding to point out to us dolts in the N. Hemisphere that a winter cycling forum exists.

I’ll trade Machka’s 16 hour days for my 9 hour ones any time. Dark when I leave for work, dark when I get home. She’s probably been riding past tulips, I just planted mine for next spring.
The tulips are long gone. I took this photo on a walk to the Botanical Gardens at lunch on Oct 2, and as you can see, they're on their way out. Within about a week, they were completely gone. I think they've got sunflowers coming up there now.

Old 11-25-17, 12:09 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The tulips are long gone. I took this photo on a walk to the Botanical Gardens at lunch on Oct 2, and as you can see, they're on their way out. Within about a week, they were completely gone. I think they've got sunflowers coming up there now.

Well, I wasn’t sure, obviously, of the exact phenology of your climate, but if you are Hobart, it’s overall similar to mine in Metro Detroit, Michigan, except your winters, cold though they are by Australian standards, are much less cold than here, because Tasmania is surrounded by immense ocean, a heat sink. Your daylight statistics are almost exact, I’m at 45 degrees 53 minutes N, Hobart is shown as 42 degrees 52 minutes south. I am not a fan of winter darkness and the very short days - I love the long days of our Summer Solstice. Enjoy your spring and summer - it goes all too fast.

My other big passion is gardening, in about a month I will start my first plants for 2018 indoors under lights, peppers, artichokes, eggplant, ornamentals such as Asparagus fern and geraniums. It seems the older I get the faster the seasons flow.
Old 11-25-17, 06:34 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Well, I wasn’t sure, obviously, of the exact phenology of your climate, but if you are Hobart, it’s overall similar to mine in Metro Detroit, Michigan, except your winters, cold though they are by Australian standards, are much less cold than here, because Tasmania is surrounded by immense ocean, a heat sink. Your daylight statistics are almost exact, I’m at 45 degrees 53 minutes N, Hobart is shown as 42 degrees 52 minutes south. I am not a fan of winter darkness and the very short days - I love the long days of our Summer Solstice. Enjoy your spring and summer - it goes all too fast.

My other big passion is gardening, in about a month I will start my first plants for 2018 indoors under lights, peppers, artichokes, eggplant, ornamentals such as Asparagus fern and geraniums. It seems the older I get the faster the seasons flow.
It would be similar to where you are, and perhaps even more similar to the Pacific Northwest. It actually reminds me quite a lot of Vancouver Island.

Unfortunately, although our winters aren't terribly cold, our summers aren't terribly warm. In fact, they tend to be quite cool. Some people like that, but I prefer a bit more heat. Happily, this past week was "hot" and I loved it. It has, however, cooled off again now.

Rowan is the gardener in our family ... he actually works in agriculture. But I enjoy looking at it all.
Old 11-25-17, 06:52 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Liked 407 Times in 255 Posts
For the newbies here or those who haven't explored our subforums yet ...

Bikeforums has a Winter Cycling Forum!! You might be able to find the answers to many of your winter questions there:

We need winter back first...or not.

60-70F here in the northern hemisphere. Been glorious weather timed perfectly to being able to ride in it.