Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a real Mafac stiffening bridge, or a knock-off?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-23, 08:37 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts

Gotcha!

Humor aside, since not everyone has seen the ongoing discussion in the mafac stiffener thread about these, I thought I'd spin this off into a separate discussion.

Given the elusiveness of the Spence Wolf / Cupertino aftermarket Mafac bridges from BITD, I decided to try a test run of a modern interpretation / repop. These arrived in the mail yesterday, to the specs I came up with (with the assistance of bulgie, Charles Wahl and oneclick ):

Now, the company I used to make these isn't my first choice, so I'm on the fence. One bridge clearly has a few scratches on it, and - unlike my normal laser cutting service which will deburr things, these folks don't (thanks @bulgie for the tool recommendations).

I realize this is not really anything to complain about, but it's just one more repetitive, irritating thing I have to put on repeat for every one of these things after paying a fair amount to get them cut in the first place.

Still, this company will laser etch the stylized "M" and the other won't, and I feel this does make a big difference. The end result does a fantastic job of transforming an otherwise homely Mafac Racer:

Next step is to pull something from the fleet that I can fit these onto for testing. I don't have much here that's still centerpull; might have to make the '61 Paramount the testbed.

More to come.

-Kurt

Old 03-19-23, 11:36 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
The security torx screws assure that nobody will steal them!!

Seriously though they do look nice!
Old 03-19-23, 11:40 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
With tork security bolt! You're not messing around.

I have a sheet of 6160 I've been thing of making a Soma long cage knock-off, or a canti stiffener with.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-19-23, 12:18 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Very nice! It's a shame that when such a useful device is installed, it obscures the original brake.
Is that 1/8" / 3 mm material?
Is the logo "laser etched" or "laser marked"? (which are different processes, according to a local outfit I've been considering using for some other work)
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 03-19-23, 12:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by scarlson
The security torx screws assure that nobody will steal them!!

Seriously though they do look nice!
That's what happens when you wind up hoarding all the bolts removed from these retired share bikes. So long as I don't mind security Torx, I have M5 and M6 bolts to last me a while

Plus point: The washers are captive to the screw. Can't lose them.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
With tork security bolt! You're not messing around.

I have a sheet of 6160 I've been thing of making a Soma long cage knock-off, or a canti stiffener with.
Someone here on the forum - it might have been rootboy, but I don't know for sure - tried making a long-cage Rally repop cage long before Soma did. The one flaw is that the mounting threads are super fragile with most aluminum alloys at that width; one of the reasons most manufacturers swedge a steel bolt into aluminum cages. Mine stripped immediately on installation.

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Very nice! It's a shame that when such a useful device is installed, it obscures the original brake.
Is that 1/8" / 3 mm material?
Is the logo "laser etched" or "laser marked"? (which are different processes, according to a local outfit I've been considering using for some other work)
This is 3.2mm 5052 aluminum. Ideally, I'd like to get it in 6061 or 7075.

I could get very creative with the design - full drillium if I wanted - but I personally can't stand how rough the Racers, early Competitions, and Raids look. To me, it's a visual improvement, even fi it looks a bit more Modolo than Mafac.

The company I had these done with claims it's "area engraving," but it's clearly not really engraving at all. I'll ask them when I inquire about the scratched piece.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-19-23, 01:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
My question for the op: is this the real "is this a real Mafac stiffening bridge or a knockoff" thread or a knockoff?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-19-23, 01:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
My question for the op: is this the real "is this a real Mafac stiffening bridge or a knockoff" thread or a knockoff?
With those security torx bolts, these things are as far from "knockoff" as you can get. Knockoff hubs for cars, wing nutted hubs for bikes ...
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-19-23, 03:11 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Hmm, hide the OEM Mafac text on the caliper and add a Campagnolo logo to the accessory brace?

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 03-19-23, 04:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
It's the real knock-off thread about the knock-off bolt-ons.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
With those security torx bolts, these things are as far from "knockoff" as you can get. Knockoff hubs for cars, wing nutted hubs for bikes ...
Speaking of which, would you kindly fetch my Series 1 XKE?

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Hmm, hide the OEM Mafac text on the caliper and add a Campagnolo logo to the accessory brace?
Been there, done that

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-19-23, 04:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Dayum, Kurt - those came out really nicely (doffs imaginary helmet... wait, I don't wear a helmet - make that cycling cap)!

Well done; I'm sure they'll do the job, too

DD
Old 03-19-23, 04:52 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I personally can't stand how rough the Racers, early Competitions, and Raids look. To me, it's a visual improvement, even if it looks a bit more Modolo than Mafac.
"Rough" is OK with me when it's "authentic" and "vintage".
The company I had these done with claims it's "area engraving," but it's clearly not really engraving at all. I'll ask them when I inquire about the scratched piece.
That sounds to me like what the joint in my area calls "marking" as opposed to "engraving". I've never seen the former, and recognized it as such. My interest in knowing the difference is that I'm trying to make an amplifier control panel with one or the other.
Been there, done that

Sacré bleu! NE JAMAIS! or should it be NIEMALS! NIEMALS! NIEMALS!

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 03-19-23 at 06:08 PM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 03-19-23, 05:14 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
I wonder if there’s some crude way to quantify the effect of this stiffener, compared to a MAFAC Racer without the stiffener. Maybe @gugie has some engimaneering know how to impart.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-19-23, 06:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I wonder if there’s some crude way to quantify the effect of this stiffener, compared to a MAFAC Racer without the stiffener. Maybe @gugie has some engimaneering know how to impart.
Gugie doesn't trust everything he thinks. I'm an empirical guy, and I do have a few bikes with MAFAC brakes I could try a stiffener and report back. Some of them definitely squeal like a pig. Won't be anytime soon, I'll put it on my post-retirement things to do list.

Last edited by gugie; 03-19-23 at 07:10 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 03-19-23, 07:28 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
OK, WHERE do I order a set of those decals**********?

Old 03-19-23, 10:06 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Dayum, Kurt - those came out really nicely (doffs imaginary helmet... wait, I don't wear a helmet - make that cycling cap)!

Well done; I'm sure they'll do the job, too
Having not that much experience with Mafacs myself, I'm now wondering whether I should test them with the original rock-hard pads, or with Kool-Stops. The KS pads shape-shift a lot more when applied though, so I'm not sure what setup will give me a good baseline.

"Rough" is OK with me when it's "authentic" and "vintage".

That sounds to me like what the joint in my area calls "marking" as opposed to "engraving". I've never seen the former, and recognized it as such. My interest in knowing the difference is that I'm trying to make an amplifier control panel with one or the other.

Sacré bleu! NE JAMAIS! or should it be NIEMALS! NIEMALS! NIEMALS!
Their looks is one of the reasons I've only put Racers on one build after 15+ years, even though they're nicer to set up than any Weinmann 999 and feel better too. I've tried to stay away from them because of their looks, so this is one component I - personally - don't feel bad tinkering with for overall appearance.

It's dead flat, I'm pretty sure it's the laser marking you speak of - such as letters on an aluminum faceplate for an amplifier or lettering on aluminum-bodied lighting equipment. I wouldn't classify it as "engraved" at all by definition of what engraving actually is.

I'm pretty sure that was a Dia-Compe, so Japanese may be more appropriate. But the forum prevents me from having fun with kanji spit out of Google Translate.

Originally Posted by nlerner
Originally Posted by gugie
Gugie doesn't trust everything he thinks. I'm an empirical guy, and I do have a few bikes with MAFAC brakes I could try a stiffener and report back. Some of them definitely squeal like a pig. Won't be anytime soon, I'll put it on my post-retirement things to do list.
Would you like one to play with, Mr. Butcher, sir?

Originally Posted by tiger1964
OK, WHERE do I order a set of those decals**********?
If I told you, I'd get banned

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-20-23, 12:44 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I haven't tried adding a front bridge to any Mafac caliper, but I have noticed that some combination of their good leverage (and an amount of flex coming from somewhere) combines to give the brake lever a long throw through its generous travel range. These Mafac brakes also manage to give good clearance at the pads for handling warped rims and wheel flex.

I did find it necessary to explore improving the flex resistance of the Weinmann front caliper that I used for MTB racing, due in part to my use of slippery-when-wet MA40 rims with still-intact anodizing.

I first made the front bridge, only tall enough to clear the biggest (45mm) tire I would use. It made the brake feel a lot less less squishy at the lever, good for keeping the lever from bottoming on the grip.
I then noticed how much that the long-reaching arms and pads rotated as they got pushed forward by the rim, the long Matthauser pads threatening to have their top-front corner cut into the tire, and much of the rear of the pad moving past the other edge of the brake track toward the hub.
So I added tethers to transmit the braking force directly to the fork instead of cantilevered off of the flimsy, nylon-bushed pivots.
The latter modification surprised me, it firstly reduced friction at the pivots quite noticeably, but also kept the long pads better aligned with the rim for added firmness at the lever.
The tethers also angled slightly inward toward the rear, so effected some self-energizing effect as well.

There are examples of both modifications on bikes from earlier in the last century, and we also saw brake boosters as they became called become somewhat of a fad back in the 90's on mountain bikes.

Crafting a booster/stiffener plate for a particular bike is a fun exercise in practical design, more fun when you add some precise drillium to top it off.
On one of my efforts (on the front of a hybrid), I used a ready-made booster having big hoops for eccentric bolt-center adjusters. But it was so much taller than necessary, being made for 26" tires. So I hacked off the loops and notched the ends of the horseshoe to position it against the cantilever pivot bolts with thick sandwiching washers holding it in place.
Then I made one from scratch for the rear, adding drillium. The braking really is so much better, front and rear, especially since the pads no longer go through such a range of toe-in change due to flexing pivots.

My first-ever brake booster was the strip of bracket cut off of a water bottle cage, modified a bit for use on a 1978 U09 having Weinmann centerpulls.
It (the bracket) sure was ugly! That bike has been sold and thankfully no pictorial evidence of that booster remains.

Old 03-21-23, 10:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

FYI, I asked and they confirmed - it's Cermark ceramic marked / sintered on the surface.

Originally Posted by dddd
I haven't tried adding a front bridge to any Mafac caliper, but I have noticed that some combination of their good leverage (and an amount of flex coming from somewhere) combines to give the brake lever a long throw through its generous travel range. These Mafac brakes also manage to give good clearance at the pads for handling warped rims and wheel flex.

I did find it necessary to explore improving the flex resistance of the Weinmann front caliper that I used for MTB racing, due in part to my use of slippery-when-wet MA40 rims with still-intact anodizing.

I first made the front bridge, only tall enough to clear the biggest (45mm) tire I would use. It made the brake feel a lot less less squishy at the lever, good for keeping the lever from bottoming on the grip.
I then noticed how much that the long-reaching arms and pads rotated as they got pushed forward by the rim, the long Matthauser pads threatening to have their top-front corner cut into the tire, and much of the rear of the pad moving past the other edge of the brake track toward the hub.
So I added tethers to transmit the braking force directly to the fork instead of cantilevered off of the flimsy, nylon-bushed pivots.
The latter modification surprised me, it firstly reduced friction at the pivots quite noticeably, but also kept the long pads better aligned with the rim for added firmness at the lever.
The tethers also angled slightly inward toward the rear, so effected some self-energizing effect as well.

There are examples of both modifications on bikes from earlier in the last century, and we also saw brake boosters as they became called become somewhat of a fad back in the 90's on mountain bikes.

Crafting a booster/stiffener plate for a particular bike is a fun exercise in practical design, more fun when you add some precise drillium to top it off.
On one of my efforts (on the front of a hybrid), I used a ready-made booster having big hoops for eccentric bolt-center adjusters. But it was so much taller than necessary, being made for 26" tires. So I hacked off the loops and notched the ends of the horseshoe to position it against the cantilever pivot bolts with thick sandwiching washers holding it in place.
Then I made one from scratch for the rear, adding drillium. The braking really is so much better, front and rear, especially since the pads no longer go through such a range of toe-in change due to flexing pivots.

My first-ever brake booster was the strip of bracket cut off of a water bottle cage, modified a bit for use on a 1978 U09 having Weinmann centerpulls.
It (the bracket) sure was ugly! That bike has been sold and thankfully no pictorial evidence of that booster remains.
The more the arms can bend between the pad and the mounting point - whether it comes from the bridge, the arms, or the slop in the bushings - all can contribute to chattering if the pads can momentarily reduce effective friction against the rim. I don't think the bridges were necessarily invented for that as much as creating a bit more lateral rigidity to the mounting posts/bolts. But I may be wrong.

I'm curious how the bridge helped reduce the sponginess; might I ask what's the OD on the spacers you used to push the bridge further forward? I'm wondering if the bushing and the bridge helped to apply more pressure around the nylon bushings, taking some of the bendiness out of it. I wonder if the bushing/washer alone spreading the force might do the same thing, minus the bridge. Just spitballing ideas here.

I think it can't be overstated that you're running that on a Pedersen replica, by the way. That just makes it cool. It's even cooler that you're using it on one of them.

Those tethers - in principle - remind me of the L-shaped brackets fitted to some bikes (usually cheap ones, but I've seen them factory with John Bulls on secondary-brand Raleighs) to grab the stays/fork blades to stiffen the caliper. Always thought of it as a kludge; by the 1960's we knew how to build a half-decent brake that didn't necessarily need these.

Mind, the tethers look absolutely perfect on the Pederson though. Adds an air of the past to it.

-Kurt

Old 03-22-23, 07:35 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
It's the real knock-off thread about the knock-off bolt-ons.
-Kurt
whew I’m glad you cleared that up!
Old 04-29-23, 07:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by dddd
I took your advice

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-29-23, 08:19 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Kurt you're doing some very nice work ! A pic of the original which were also laser cut, and then drilled.

There was some spalling from the cut and that was removed with conventional methods :-)

I like these and they do make a difference in brake "feel". to round out the package, I'd suggest a new stainless center bolt and brass bushings, both available from Rene Herse Cycles.

very cool !

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 04-29-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-29-23, 09:14 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
I took your advice

-Kurt
Fantastic work! Any idea if these would fit gran compe 610s? And if you'd ever consider selling them?
Likes For Piff:
Old 04-29-23, 12:38 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Kurt you're doing some very nice work ! A pic of the original which were also laser cut, and then drilled.

There was some spalling from the cut and that was removed with conventional methods :-)
The holes in this case are also laser cut. A bit of a cheat, but it saves me a lot of time.

Originally Posted by Piff
Fantastic work! Any idea if these would fit gran compe 610s? And if you'd ever consider selling them?
Unless the GC610 shares an identical bolt spacing to the Mafacs, it won't be possible. Any design for Weinmann, Dia-Compe, or Gran Compe centerpulls would also require spacers to clear the front arm.

I'm sticking with Mafac right now. All I have to do to get these ready to sell is deburr the reverse side. I'd be out of the notion if I had to start sourcing additional hardware; this stuff is expensive enough as is.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-29-23 at 11:00 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-29-23, 02:21 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
My rear raid got to where it won't hardly squeal at all, I kind of miss it. Also these things stop better than any brake I ever used.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 04-30-23, 03:15 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
You do know what MAFAC stands for right?

Mon Accoutrements Fait un Atroce Cacophone

(translated - my accessories make a terrible sound)

Kurt - let the end user do the deburring ! Good for you for getting these made

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-30-23, 07:56 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
My rear raid got to where it won't hardly squeal at all, I kind of miss it. Also these things stop better than any brake I ever used.
As much as the crude castings of Mafac Racers don't really appeal to me, I was greatly impressed by their feel on my Raleigh Competition when I had them on it.

Now that I've made these bridges, I think I can hack the look of a Racer now too

Originally Posted by mpetry912
You do know what MAFAC stands for right?

Mon Accoutrements Fait un Atroce Cacophone

(translated - my accessories make a terrible sound)

Kurt - let the end user do the deburring ! Good for you for getting these made

/markp
Ils s'arrêtent toujours mieux que les Weinmann ou Dia-Compe.

At least, I hope Google Translate got that right.

I'm not sure how many people would consider these if they had to deburr them on their own, really. I just wish I had one of these:

-Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.