Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Dooring death in Oakland

Very sad.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-18352852.php

I have always loved to see kids riding behind mom/dad on these trail a bike things. Now I"m not so sure.
Old 09-10-23, 01:15 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Nothing dangerous about the trail-a-bike. Dooring can kill anyone. We just need proper safe bike lanes like a civilized country.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 09-11-23, 12:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
"In response to Maia’s death, the Oakland Department of Transportation posted videos online to show drivers how to prevent doorings."

Look in your goddam sideview mirror.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-11-23, 12:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
unusual

fatal head injury while wearing a helmet
cleared & sent home, blood clot found later

sad end to a child's life. can only imagine that family will suffer forever
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-13-23, 03:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
The Dutch reach would solve a lot of problems; if only they'd teach in in Driver's Ed.

Likes For Korina:
Old 09-13-23, 03:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I learned decades ago that motorist will often open a door without checking for an approaching bicyclist. I ride far enough away from parked cars so that if a door is opened I am OK going past. It is why over the past 50 years I have avoided bike lanes like the plague.

I consider it irresponsible to have a toddler on a bicycle. They have soft skulls and weak neck muscles and with a crash they are much more likely than an adult to suffer a serious injury. Too many parents do not want to be inconvenienced and so they take along young children with little or no thought about the risks.

When my sister suddenly died and I found myself raising her young boy my life changed in many ways and was restricted in many ways. I accepted this as part of the deal even though it was not my child.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 09-14-23, 01:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
https://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/pedestrian.html

Author makes the point that a motorist traveling at "at 60 mph (88 feet per second) and suddenly sees a pedestrian. "Normal" perception-reaction time1 for a lane incursion by a pedestrian (Green, 2000) is about 1.5 seconds. During this time, the car will have moved forward 132 feet (1.5 x 88). Cars don’t stop instantaneously, however, so the vehicle continues forward after brake depression until friction halts all motion. This would require another 150 feet and take about 3.4 seconds. As a result, the driver must see the pedestrian 280 feet and 4.9 seconds in advance. At city driving speeds of 35 mph, the stopping distance is still 138 feet and the stopping time is 3.6 seconds."

The roads around my home have tight curves an the sight distance is often less than 100 feet for drivers. If I am on the road and a motorist approaches from the rear they have two options, to either hit me or to go across the dividing line and risk a head on collision with another motorist in their vehicle. I would expect 99 out of 100 drivers to opt for hitting the bicyclist. If a road does not provide drivers with at least a 300 foot line of sight then I do not ride on it with a bicycle.

City streets are safer only if one avoids bike lanes that always put the cyclist alongside parked cars. Sight distances tend to be far greater than in many rural areas and drivers have to be more attentive to what is around them.
Old 09-14-23, 04:26 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
All very true. But kids "need" to ride bicycles, at least I think so.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-14-23, 06:23 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
https://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/pedestrian.html

Author makes the point that a motorist traveling at "at 60 mph (88 feet per second) and suddenly sees a pedestrian. "Normal" perception-reaction time1 for a lane incursion by a pedestrian (Green, 2000) is about 1.5 seconds. During this time, the car will have moved forward 132 feet (1.5 x 88). Cars don’t stop instantaneously, however, so the vehicle continues forward after brake depression until friction halts all motion. This would require another 150 feet and take about 3.4 seconds. As a result, the driver must see the pedestrian 280 feet and 4.9 seconds in advance. At city driving speeds of 35 mph, the stopping distance is still 138 feet and the stopping time is 3.6 seconds."

The roads around my home have tight curves an the sight distance is often less than 100 feet for drivers. If I am on the road and a motorist approaches from the rear they have two options, to either hit me or to go across the dividing line and risk a head on collision with another motorist in their vehicle. I would expect 99 out of 100 drivers to opt for hitting the bicyclist. If a road does not provide drivers with at least a 300 foot line of sight then I do not ride on it with a bicycle.

City streets are safer only if one avoids bike lanes that always put the cyclist alongside parked cars. Sight distances tend to be far greater than in many rural areas and drivers have to be more attentive to what is around them
Sobering reminder that, at 60mph, it takes an alert driver driving a car with good brakes a football field to stop. At 35mph, its about 35 yards, or a highlight reel-worthy pass play. For those of us who drive, please stay four seconds behind the car in front you. For those of us who ride, assume the car will not be able to stop in time and ride accordingly.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 09-14-23 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-15-23, 10:12 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Recently avoided getting doored on North San Pedro near the civic center. Panel delivery van threw open his door on our group. Couldn't see that it was occupied and the driver was probably concerned with their delivery papers. Even with keeping to the right of the bike lane for this reason I was still forced out into traffic with no warning to drivers. It shocked some of the other riders but I've seen it more than a few times having commuted for years. So, in Alameda along the shoreline you have the bike lane near the curb with parking on the traffic side. A car parks and the kids bail in front of me from the back seat. Mom was apologetic. I guess my point is that it is a known hazard that you should always take into account. Tragic reminder for us all.
Old 09-15-23, 12:17 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
As I recall, in one large city doorings comprised about 20% of fatal/severe bicycle crashes. Unfortunately, MVUCC guidelines can leave out dooring crashes as the motor vehicle is typically parked and isn't "in transit".

With window tint and mandatory headrests, it can be very difficult to assess occupancy of a motor vehicle. And a car or truck door can go from closed to fully open in half a second. I try to generally presume that any door can suddenly open in my path, and wherever practicable ride about 5 feet away from the parked vehicle, regardless of pavement markings. If you're not in the swept path of the door, it's a lot easier to avoid that collision.
Old 09-16-23, 08:48 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
With window tint and mandatory headrests, it can be very difficult to assess occupancy of a motor vehicle.
#1 RULE for GUN HANDLING BIKE RIDING: EVERY GUN PARKED VEHICLE may be LOADED.

(Apologies to those triggered by those words.)

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I try to generally presume that any door can suddenly open in my path, and wherever practicable ride about 5 feet away from the parked vehicle, regardless of pavement markings.
Same here, particularly on the streets for three blocks around a local Waldorf School near me.

Too, the parking lot at the local co-op grocery; located their bike rack so that to use it a cyclist must cross pavement allocated to motor vehicles' transit to and from the parking lot.