Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm worse than a woman at Nordstoms...here is my new bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm worse than a woman at Nordstoms...here is my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 01:21 PM
jim-bob
hateful little monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by trmcgeehan
What a beauty! I'm ready to trade in my 1985 32 pound Ross!
was that one of the chrome ones?
Old 06-04-03, 06:56 PM
talkdj

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by VegasCyclist

I'm not so quick to say the bike is not the correct size, but let us know your height and inseam... And of course the size of the frame (looks like a 55-56 cm no?) also did anyone help you fit the bike before you purchased it?

I'm 5' 9" with a 29" inseam. The LBS spent a lot of time fitting the bike to me. I believe it's a 50 cm frame.

-Wynn
Old 06-04-03, 07:13 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are you measuring your inseam? You may want to try a few bike fit "calculators" on the internet to see if the bike is a bit small. I would guess at 5'9" tall, a 55 cm bike would be much better for you. Here are a few bikefit links:

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
https://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Sec...ing/Height.asp
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikef..._worksheet.cfm

More important then seat tube, is top tube length. Cannondale says there 50cm frame has a 52.5 cm top tube. Without all your measurements, that still sounds a few cm too short.

And lastly, do you feel comfortable on the bike? How many miles so far? How long have you owned it?
Old 06-05-03, 09:25 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just for the sake of comparison...

I'm 5'10" with an inseam of 30". I ride a 55cm Bianchi XL Boron, top tube length is 540mm (actual) and 550mm (virtual). I can't remember off hand if my stem (millenium) is 110 or 115. Standover height is 31.0 inches. It fits me very well after several hundred miles.
Old 06-05-03, 10:06 AM
VegasCyclist
suitcase of courage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by multisport4life
Just for the sake of comparison...

I'm 5'10" with an inseam of 30". I ride a 55cm Bianchi XL Boron, top tube length is 540mm (actual) and 550mm (virtual). I can't remember off hand if my stem (millenium) is 110 or 115. Standover height is 31.0 inches. It fits me very well after several hundred miles.
I'm 6 ' even with a 33 inch inseam and I ride a 56 CM (C-T) I used to ride a 58 but I found that the top tube reach was too far for me even with a shortened stem.... everyone is different
Old 06-06-03, 12:07 AM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must tell you that on my ride home from work tonight the bike rode great! Great except for the fact that I had a flat on my last leg home on the front tire! Thank goodness one of my co workers called me on my cell as i pondered what kind of walk home this was going to be. He picked me up and took me home in his car...the bike fit great in it and what a pleasure to get it in too, as it was sooooo light.

Having said that, tomorrow I take the bike in for a new front tire and while I'm there I am going to give the Giant TCR2 a try based on Firebolts recomendation. My LBS has them there and will give it a try, but I must tell you with the changes I made to the C'dale it is very nice bike to ride...even with the ergostem.

I'm sure you will all wait with baited breath to see what happens next, huh?

thanks to everyone giving me the advice and help too.

-Wynn
Old 06-06-03, 02:40 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As we get ready to close this thread out......

I took the C'dale in to have it checked out and have the front tube replaced. They told me they put in liners on both tires and that should help with the flats. I got on a Giant TCR1 and liked the bike very much but I couldn't really tell the difference between it and the R800 (I did see a difference in the price though..$2200 for the TCR1.

So I am keeping the R800 and once the rest of the weight that I still have to get rid of issue is taken care of we can start lowering the bar back to normal. For now, I'm very happy. After the Trek7500, the R800 is like driving a Corvette (the Trek being an Impala). What a difference.

Have a great weekend and ride like the wind!!!

-Wynn