Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where does all the money go????

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 08:17 AM
talkdj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While at dinner last night my wife made a comment to me that made think for a couple of seconds...I thought I would share.

Since I have been so much in "love" with cycling for the past couple of months she noticed that I haven't:

A - Stopped at The Good Guy's (TV's, HI-FI, etc)
B - Made the standard Sunday visit to Circuit City
C - Haven't made a word nore mention of CompUSA
D - Watched any of the programs that Tivo records for me (CSI from two or three months ago are still on there)

Now of course you would think that she would/should be happy that I am now engroussed in a more pleasurable hobby that I get excercise from, meet new and exciting people and makes me spend more of my free time OUTSIDE smelling the fresh Central California air (cough, cough, wheeze) instead of being the lazy couch lizzard that I used to be. But her remark was "The biggest difference now is you have just re-directed the money for the electronics/etc to the bikes".

She wasn't upset or mean about it. She just thought it was interesting that although I haven't spent a dime on my electronics toy's, THAT money was being used for this new hobby.

From my point of view, I would rather "spend" the money on the things needed for cycling than any of my other hobbies. Yes I'm addicted to it. But I haven't had this much fun in many years.

-Wynn
Old 06-17-03, 08:30 AM
Bean Counter

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The difference between a hobby & a business is that a hobby will definitely cost you money. A business is supposed to make you money.

As you say, at least you are spending your $ on healthy pursuits. It's a great addiction, isn't it?
Old 06-17-03, 09:21 AM
Stinger9oh

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You have excellent values, Talkdj. Change your chainrings, cassette and chain and you could have had a new DEVD player. Get a new set of tires and you could have had some other electronic do-dad (I don't even know what I need anymore). However, always remember that the bike parts keep you moving and healthy while the home theater sits you down, makes you larger and less healthy. Is there really a choice here?

Rich

Old 06-17-03, 10:49 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't "Spend" money on cycling. I "Invest" money in my health. It's cheaper than a gym membership.

I have a new column on my bike log spreadsheet - money invested. The header now gives me average cost per mile and average cost per hour. It's encouraging me to ride more and spend (I mean invest) less.
Old 06-17-03, 11:54 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Yeah.......I know what you mean....... Although cycling and classical guitar playing are a lot 'cheaper' than my past hobbies, I continuously buy used frames and guitars just to keep up with my wife's shoe buying binge. Drives her crazy.......
Old 06-17-03, 12:00 PM
Dazza
XtC Addict

Bikes: Giant XtC SE3 Bianchi Gold Race 600 Triple Barracuda Overload

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean, i havent touched my PS2 since i got the bike, and im actually going out this summer. Lost a lot of weight, its a good habit to get into, cycling into shops every day, and work, then cycle in my free time. Then there is the sunday tour.

Really glad i bought the new bike. Either spend money on that than stupid stuff like coke, games etc. Just put 60quid into my bike today, just bare essentials like pump, two cages + bottles, stashpack, spare tubes etc.

Havent even got a jersey yet, and i need a new set of pedals/shoes and cleats. Then its new Panaracer stratus TT tyres, saddle, seat post, and maybe a new aero bar system. Even after that, i have a great Titanium XC frame i hope to build up from a friend.

Endless money, but money WELL spent, even my parents agree.

Cheers